AmbergrisCaye.com Home

is marine technician a trade in demande

Posted By: xvim

is marine technician a trade in demande - 02/10/15 08:25 PM

Good day,

I just retired from the military and i'm looking to learn a trade that would help me find work in Belize. i have been reading about the lack of skill mechanic for boat and was wandering if it still true?

Thanks for your input smile
Posted By: ragman

Re: is marine technician a trade in demande - 02/11/15 12:45 AM

You posted a message earlier today asking about the QRP. If you plan on working, that is not the program you should be looking at. You'll need a work permit and if you are going to stay you should apply for Permanent Residence after you have been here a year. I'm not sure you could get a work permit for a mechanic's job. You would have to own the shop and employ Belizeans. After you have permanent resident status you'll be OK I believe.

Your question about a trade. Well there are marine mechanics here. Most boats have outboard motors. There are dealers and mechanics who work for them. Of course a good mechanic is employable I suppose but it is competitive. Have you ever been here? You really need to come down and stay for a few months to get a feel for what is going on here. Good luck.

Posted By: xvim

Re: is marine technician a trade in demande - 02/12/15 03:14 PM

Thank ragman for your replies, i'm looking at all the possibility that's why i asked about the QRP which i would prefer using than having to work smile
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: is marine technician a trade in demande - 02/12/15 08:01 PM

Since we have started getting so many autos, vans, trucks (of all sizes) I have to wonder about mechanics that can work on them???
Posted By: BZ Bound

Re: is marine technician a trade in demande - 02/16/15 06:21 PM

I've wondered about this. I have worked for BMW and Mini for 14 years. I am not planning on making my move to the island for 5-10 years though. Hopefully when I get there it will still be in demand.
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board