FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Caye Caulker Village Council claims Central Government is interfering with their management
The lack of enforcement, support, and disregard for local authorities on La Isla Cari�osa has the Caye Caulker Village Council (CCVC) in a desperate situation as they try to set order on their island, despite residents and stakeholders not complying with regulations. The CCVC is contesting the use of public spaces, construction of unauthorized structures, importation of vehicles, improper sewage waste disposal and even the building of piers that threaten to saturate their coastlines. The elected leaders claim that they have made reports to the respective departments in Central Government for assistance, but their pleas have fallen on deaf ears, with the situation growing worse by the day.

Wolfe's Woofer: Foot Race
Mr. Dennis, I need a favor." "Of course, Se�ora Alvarez," I said. "How can I help you?" Eighty-one-year-old Se�ora Alvarez who lives on my street stopped me as I drove by in my golf cart. "My butane tank is empty, and I need someone to take it to be filled." "I'll be glad to do it," I said. "I can't help much," she told me. "It's real heavy and I'm scared to death of gas. It always seems very dangerous to me."

Say NO to Plastics - DOE begins public education
Belize is saying NO to plastics, particularly non-biodegradable plastic bags, trays, plates, cups, bottles, spoons and other containers and utensils, which will soon become illegal to import or even possess. Education of the public to choose biodegradable alternatives and to switch from disposable, single-use containers to reusable bags, containers, and utensils, is key to making the program work.

Doctor Love: Embarrassed
Dear Doctor Love, My best friend is very embarrassing when she gets drunk. It's like she forgets how to be nice and she turns into this loud and mean girl. She hits on every man in the room, even if he is with someone and sometimes even pulls her top up to show herself. I am tired of having to get her home when she is so drunk, she can barely walk, and I think sometimes she is going to cause a fight with another girl, and I will have to take her side. How do I get her to stop acting like this? I love her when she is not drinking, but she is not a nice person when she gets drunk. I think if she doesn't stop it will ruin our friendship.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Manatee rescued
Thank you to all those in Consejo who alerted us to the reappearance of the calf - once again hiding in the mangroves. Thank you also to Joel Green and the Sarteneja Alliance for Conservation and Development for returning to Consejo with us this afternoon to assess the calf and whether it would need rescuing. The calf, a female, is estimated at between three and four months old, and is emaciated and dehydrated - she has been apart from her mother for a while, and did, indeed, need rescuing. We've just arrived back at the Manatee Rehabilitation Centre, and she is settling into our Recovery Pool. We will put together more information on her tomorrow, but for now...we will leave you with a photo from her trip to Sarteneja in the SACD boat.

New Donation box for South Ambergris Caye Neighbourhood Watch
Thanks to a suggestion received online and the skill of Duane Allen, the SACNW sub-station has a new donation box for those people who find it more convenient to drop a quick donation. Donations can be made online at www.sacnw.org - our new set up is working beautifully!

Anthony Carballo Arrested
San Pedro Police have formally charged 25-year-old Anthony Carballo for the double murder of Allen Martinez and Deon Faber. Faber and Martinez were gunned down by a masked gunman on Thursday, March 21st, on Laguna Drive in the Boca Del R�o Area of San Pedro Town. Carballo is expected to be arraigned for the crime tomorrow Monday, March 25th at the San Pedro Magistrate Court.

Sarteneja Easter Regatta Fest 2019
SARTENEJA VILLAGE, COROZAL prepares for its Annual Easter Regatta - Pin the Date - Sunday, April 21st from 9:00 a.m until. It's going to be Awesome!

Las Vegas Homebased Travel Agent Forum

Spring Equinox @ Marco Gonzalez Archaeological Reserve
Lots of great photos!

The Reporter

Husband and Wife Perish in Traffic Fatality
Two people died in a traffic accident yesterday evening in Spanish Lookout. The Reporter has received confirmation that at around 6:00 pm, Abram Penner, 51, a farmer of Spanish Lookout was driving a motorcycle on Route 40 in the community, with his wife, Irene Penner, 48, as his passenger.

Police Catch Suspected Hit and Run Driver
One man is in Police custody and possibly facing charges for a hit and run accident in Belmopan over the weekend which claimed the life of elderly Guatemalan national Pablo Hernandez, 63. Just after 7:00 p.m. on Sunday Belmopan Police were called out to the Hummingbird Highway, within city limits near Caribbean Chicken where they observed Hernandez's lifeless body lying near the highway.

Complaints Rain on Voters' Cards; Elections Official Responds
The first batch of voter's cards are out and so are the first batch of complaints against them, varying from the design of the I.D.s to their quality, to errors that are blatant on a heap of them. But Elections and Boundaries Commission Chairman, Doug Singh says the errors, no matter who is at fault, as long as they can be rectified or verified, should not create problems for people who want to vote in next month's ICJ Referendum.

Several Fatal Road Accidents in Rural Areas Reported
There have been two fatal traffic accidents since Friday night, both of which occurred in rural areas. The most recent incident occurred last night in Scotland Halfmoon village and the victim has been identified, he is Vladimir Antonio Aguilar, 28, a carpenter of Scotland Half Moon Village, Belize District.

LOVE FM

Luk Ya 10th Edition Women in Art Exhibition
The Embassy of Mexico is hosting the opening of Luk Ya 10th Edition Women in Art Exhibition. Diego Sapien, Cultural Attach� of the Mexican Embassy says this Exhibition which started ten years ago in Dangriga is usually held during Women's International Month. For the first time it's being held in Belize City at the Mexican �

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Team Belize victorious in 2019 Baker to Las Vegas relay marathon
After placing second in last year's race, Belize returned to the United States determined to place first in the Baker to Las Vegas 2019 challenge cup relay morathon. The determination of Team Belize paid off as the team crossed the finish line as champions earlier today.

Man chopped in Orange Walk: Police investigating
Police are investigating a chopping incident in Orange Walk Town over the weekend. Details are at this time sketchy but police have confirmed that Gonzalo Flota was chopped to various parts of the body.

Minor knocked off bicycle and dies
Police in southern Belize are investigating a fatal traffic accident. Police have confirmed that on Saturday night, Jose Marquez, 16, was riding his bicycle near mile 20 of the Southern Highway.

Recently acquitted murderer charged for San Pedro double murder
Belize City resident, Anthony Carballo, has been charged with two counts of murder. His charges are in connection with last Thursday's double murder of Allen Martinez, 35, and Deon Faber, 40.

One reportedly dead in road traffic accident just now
Our newsroom has received reports of yet another fatal road traffic accident. It occurred minutes ago near mile 8 of the George Price Highway in the Belize District.

Police investigating crash in Spanish Lookout that killed 2 persons
Police have issued an official report on a double fatality in Spanish Lookout, Cayo. According to the report, Gerhard Penner, 85, was driving a gold Pontiac Montana en route to Spanish Lookout. That was when he collided into the rear of a motorcycle being driven by Abram Penner, 51, and his wife Irene Penner, 48.

How Belize lost to Guyana - Everything you need to know
The loss may have been narrow, but it stings nonetheless. That the national side, the Jaguars, had their opportunities in Saturday's game with Guyana is not in doubt. That for the most part, they took them, is also not in doubt. But the biggest takeaway from the 2-1 result is that Belize's tried and tested method of playing few international warm-ups and calling players in for training camp from 2 weeks to a month out of tournaments is not working.

CARICOM Ministers meet with Venezuelan opposition leader Guaid�
As the civil crisis in Venezuela rages on, foreign Ministers of the Caribbean Community have held a meeting with opposition leader Juan Guaid�, who has declared himself interim president of Venezuela.

Four dead in three road traffic accidents since Friday
Four persons have lost their lives in three separate road traffic accidents over the weekend. The first accident occured on Friday night on the Hummingbird Highway.

ICJ fair being held in Santa Elena today
Belizeans are gearing up to participate in a historic national referendum to decide whether or not to take Guatemala's claim on Belize's territory to the International Court of Justice (ICJ) for final settlement.

Blogs

Looking for the Yellow Headed Parrots on Cayo Frances Lagoon
Even if you don't think you give a hoot about birds or plants, spring is a pretty cool time of year on Ambergris Caye. Along with the influx of birds from the north - and the trees and plants blossoming, we are enjoying such a ridiculously gorgeous late winter weather. Low humidity - it plummeted to an arid 51% yesterday - and bright sparkly sunshine. Curly hair girls rejoice. The summer heat and humidity is just around the corner. This morning I woke up at 8am - normal for me, considered mid-day here at the camp (Cayo Frances Farm & Fly) - and was told I missed the parrots that flock to this area each spring to eat the young fruits and then nest. Or so I am told. PARROTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Armed with my binoculars and camera, I headed back to the flowering kinep trees.

Why Should I Live In Corozal, Belize?
Have you considered Corozal, Belize as a possible town to live in? You wouldn't be the first! Gary Peterson offers some insight on why some expats chooses to live in this community. Corozal, Belize has long been a magnet for expats from North America and elsewhere. It doesn't enjoy miles of beautiful sandy beach and there isn't much nightlife to speak of. So what draws so many people to Corozal?

International Sourcesizz

2019 Atlantic, Caribbean & Gulf Of Mexico Hurricane Season Forecast
Summary: Activity during the 2019 Atlantic Hurricane Season is likely to be influenced by building El Nino conditions. This potentially means a lower than average number of storms, HOWEVER, this does not necessarily mean that the threat for a tropical storm or hurricane impact is lower as there is data supporting the idea of at least one landfall of a tropical storm/hurricane on the US coast and/or eastern Caribbean this season. In addition, I am expecting the formation of at least one tropical storm in the western Atlantic during either May or early June. In addition, I also think that we could start out "quick" with tropical storm/hurricane formation from May to August, but then slow down in activity during September with the hurricane season potentially ending early in October as El Nino strengthens and attempts to make the Atlantic increasingly more unfavorable for development.

A Rare Tropical Storm Forms in the South Atlantic: Iba
The only ocean basin on Earth that does not regularly see tropical cyclones develop is the South Atlantic, but it had a rare tropical storm form on Sunday. Tropical Storm Iba developed about 600 miles northeast of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, according to the Brazilian Navy Hydrographic Center (BNHC). Ocean temperatures in this region were quite warm, near 29°C (84°F). Satellite fixes of the system, initially dubbed "Invest 90Q", showed a modest increase in organization on Sunday morning. The BNHC rated Iba as a minimal tropical storm with sustained winds of 40 mph and a central pressure of 1008 mb at noon EDT Sunday. Steering currents will take Iba to the southeast, out to sea, and the system is not a threat to any land areas. Iba is expected to slowly strengthen to sustained winds of 45 - 50 mph by Monday morning, but is likely to slowly weaken by mid-week, never attaining hurricane status.

UK and Caribbean sign post-Brexit trade deal
Last Friday (22 March), the UK minister of state for trade policy, George Hollingbery, signed the Cariforum-UK Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA) with ministers and representatives from Barbados, Belize, the Commonwealth of Dominica, Grenada, the Republic of Guyana, Jamaica, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. The deal ensures that businesses across the Caribbean will be able to continue to trade without barriers or tariffs. The agreement eliminates all tariffs on all goods imported to the UK from the Caribbean countries, while these Caribbean states will continue to gradually cut import tariffs on most of the region's imports from the UK.

Videos

• Belize has unofficially placed first in the Baker 2 Vegas Relay race in Las Vegas, 1.5min. The 120 mile race concluded 7am today Belize time. The official announcement will be made at midday followed by an awards ceremony at 6pm. A big congrats to the 20 runners who have made Belize proud!!!! The delegation returns on Tuesday.

• 2019 Belize, 4min.

• Belize Grand Caribe Life, 22min. Belize Grand Caribe Life, I spent my winter vacation traveling to Belize Ambergris Caye Grand Caribe Resort for the warmer climate and blue waters of the Caribbean Sea. What's it like to live at Grand Caribe Resort for a week? Let find out.

• Ahmadiyya All-Star Basketball Games | St. Johns College, Belize City, 50min.

• Spring Equinox @ Marco Gonzalez Archaeological Reserve, 10min.