FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, Reef TV, KREM, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Belize Now, Talk Ah Di Town, and other specials.

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofer: Economics
“We already missed two hours of fishing,” Vernon said. “I don’t think we ought to wait any longer for Mario and Linsford.” “Yeah,” Juan said, “It’s already eight o’clock and we ain’t gonna catch nothing at this time of the morning.” “Let’s give them another hour or so,” I said. “The bank doesn’t even open until eight.”

Letter to the Editor: Lifesaving Lessons with Butane
A couple weeks ago our big white butane tank needed filling. But before that could happen the broken gauge and float needed to be replaced. The tank guy cracked the seal on the gauge and… ssssshhhhhhhh. The big white tank still had gas in it. We were leaking the butane into the yard and neighbourhood. The gas refill company was waiting to do the fill-up and said to CALL THE FIRE DEPARTMENT. That’s Lesson One. If your gas tank is leaking, call the Fire Department (206-2372 or 911). The Fire Department showed up in less than three minutes! A shiny new fire truck navigated our narrow streets with lights and sirens, and the crew was ready with gear on and masks.

Doctor Love: Issues in Relationships
Dear Doctor Love, My boyfriend and I cannot agree on having children. He says he never wants one and I want at least one child. Should we break up now and find someone who agrees with our choices? We are both twenty and we’ve talked about getting married and I really want to be a mother and grandmother someday. Do we decide this first or get married and try to make an agreement when we are older? /s/Baby Momma

Various Belizean Sources

mzz

2019 Belize National Song Competition
On, August 10, 2019, the Belize National Song Competition was held at the Civic Center in Corozal. The entertainment began shortly after 8pm. When I arrived, the Audience had already filled the chairs. Click here if you want to see the full video of this event and including the winners of the event. Jarett "JC" Cornejo, our own young Corozaleño brother, representing our Corozal Community WINS Senior National Song Competition 2019. Congratulations Jarett Cornejo from all our Corozal Community.

Maya Children of Xaibe Corozal learning Yucatec Maya through music and games
To'one Masehualo'on a Yucatec Maya cultural group of Corozal this year were giving Maya classes for free to children in Xaibe and also in Corozal house of Culture. Yuum Bo'otik To'one Masehualo'on .

Birth of Patchakan Village
On Sunday, April 19, 2009, during the celebration of our Holy Primicia, Mr. Anastacio Poot corrected me on a piece of information that I gave in one of my writings, stating that the birth of Patchakan Village, Corozal District, was in 1850. Mr. Poot told me that he and two other villagers went to the Corozal Roman Catholic Archives to investigate the birth of Patchakan Village, and they found information about the existence of the village dating way back to 1800. He believes that Patchakan was already populated by 1780, because of information that he got from his father’s uncle. The ancianos of the village, before they died, spoke about a village with the name of Tanchekaax before the existence of Patchakan. There existed a school where a missionary teacher used to come and teach. This would take us back sometime to the beginning of the 1700s.

The Reporter

Fisherman Shoots Fellow Fisherman At Caye Camp
There was a shooting incident at a fishing camp located on Long Caye yesterday. Around 10:00 pm Saturday night, August 11th. Ricardo Mendoza and Jose Cortez were at the Caye and retired for the night.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Belize’s rugby league continues to make history
The Belize Rugby 7’s league continues to make history with its upcoming friendly match against Mexico and other major developments in the league scheduled to take place this month. […]

Chamber of Commerce to host HIV in the Workplace Workshop
The Belize Chamber of Commerce and Industry (BCCI) is inviting its members to attend a free workshop entitled “Human Rights and HIV Policy in the Workplace.” […]

Blogs

Guest Blog - Top 10 Things to Know about Being Sober in Belize/a>
Randy is the GM at Caribbean Beach Cabanas in Placencia, and he has been a remarkable and valuable addition to the Placencia community for the last year plus! He moved to Belize full-time over a year ago and made the decision to not drink alcohol anymore before he moved here. Belize is not the easiest place in the world to be sober - that is for sure. Now that Randy has a year-plus experience with what that has entailed for him, I was really interested to hear his thoughts about life in Belize sans alcohol - it is a question we get a lot from potential guests and expats, because Belize has a bit of an anything-goes, Jimmy Buffett island party lifestyle reputation. So here are his insights, thank you so much Randy!!!

For those living in Belize.....Best Ever Chicken Rice Bowl Recipe!
Have you ever made something and when you went to eat it, you felt like it was JUST right?? I made this (spectacular) chicken bowl last week and not only was it super easy (several things are made beforehand) but when I ate it I thought, this is magic and I have to write it down or I'll lose it. Note that you can make this low carb by omitting the beans and rice and putting it over lettuce. Belize has fantastic, made-from-scratch food, but bowls are not something easily found here. Bowls are super popular in the US, and this will remind you of US take out style if you are missing a little taste of home.

Why Everyone Needs to Visit Belize
How many places have you traveled to that you can truly say are environmentally friendly? I’m talking domestically and internationally? I can say out of my travels I can count on one hand the number of countries that are truly environmentally and eco-friendly (and I have traveled to over 35 countries at this point). Some include Costa Rica, Japan, Australia, and now Belize. Belize is one of those hidden gems part of the Central American chain of countries. It is not an island – that is a misconception – and it is in very close proximity to Mexico. (You’re gonna wanna read till the end to get a glimpse of where we stayed & my family!)

The Local-First Vision of the Ka'ana Kitchen
You may be coming to Belize to experience wild adventures in our unspoiled jungles, discover ancient traditions that still live in today's Maya peoples, and relax in the luxury of Ka'ana Resort... but we've got one more thing for you to add to your list: a foodie exploration! Everyone from our chef to our gardeners prioritizes the local-first ethos of Ka'ana. Ka'ana has a unique food concept, considering that a third of the menu comes from our own garden. This adds to the variety of wholesome, fresh, local and definitely seasonal meals you can experience during your stay.

Hiking the Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary and Jaguar Preserve
The Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary, located in the tropical forests of the Stann Creek District of Belize, is famous for being the first Jaguar Preserve in the world. This nature reserve spans over 128,000 acres, making it one of the largest protected areas in Belize. An estimated 200 jaguars live in the preserve, however, they are shy and the chances of seeing one are slim. But don’t let that keep you away! At Cockscomb, visitors can explore dozens of marked trails where they will discover spectacular waterfalls, beautiful mountain views, and plenty of wildlife beyond the rare jaguar sighting. The reserve is home to numerous plants and animals, including margays, deer, ocelots, pumas, howler monkeys, tapirs, and around 330 species of birds according to the Audubon Society.

International Sourcesizz

Biles caps 6th U.S. title with historic triple-double
Simone Biles, who never fails to rise to the occasion, won her sixth all-around title at the U.S. Gymnastics Championships on Sunday, plus did a historic clean triple-double in floor exercise. Biles, 22, did the triple-double in the preliminaries Friday in floor exercise, too, the first time a woman had ever completed the complex move of two flips with three twists in competition. But she put her hands down on the landing then, which frustrated her. She didn't do that Sunday, and was so happy with the move that she retweeted video of it during the competition. "I didn't want to be the last person to see it," Biles said of checking her phone for the video, "so I went online to see what it looked like, so that me and [coach Laurent Landi] could watch it. But I was very pleased that I actually landed it this time in competition."

Passion for archaeology takes Kenosha County native to Belize
Ted Kmiec IV, 35, who uncovered his passion for archaeology searching for arrowheads as a child on a farm in Paddock Lake, spent the month of July digging around Belize as part of a research team. Kmiec, son of Salem Lakes trustee Ted Kmiec III, attended Salem Grade School and Westosha Central High School before pursuing a bachelor of science degree in anthropology at Texas State University, also earning a minor in geography and a certificate in achaeologicial curation. He is in his second year of a master’s program at Texas State University with a goal of becoming an archaeology professor and continuing research in the field.

Videos

• Belize, where did it come from?, 9min. El vecino desconocido de México, Belice, es un país que tiene como autoridad a la reina Isabel II y que no se aprecia en los mapas del Primer Imperio Mexicano, pero, de dónde salió entonces?

• Interview with Miss Janet Castillo on Corozal's Best Ever Rum, Ribs, Rice Tasting Contest, 4.5min. This event will happen on September 13, 2019 at Civic Center. It will commence at 5pm and conclude at 9pm. Interviewing Miss Janet Castillo for this upcoming event. art of the September Celebration, Corozal's Best Ever Rum, Ribs, Rice Tasting Contest 2019 will be held on September 13, 2019. The event will be commencing at 5pm at the Andres Campos Civic Center. What Do you need to enter? Sample of your best Rib and/Or your specialty Dish. Anyone can enter For Free. You can Pre-Register call Miss Pat: 668-7668 or Corozal Library or Corozal Civic Center.

• Ambergris Caye - BELIZE, 6min. Ambergris Caye (Cayo Ambergris) es la isla más popular y extensa de Belize. Está ubicada en la parte norte de las costas centroamericanas, próxima a la frontera con México, en el mar Caribe. Tiene una longitud de unos 40 kilómetros de largo de norte a sur, alrededor de 1,6 kilómetros de ancho y una superficie de 64 km². En ella habitan cerca de 2.000 personas, la mayoría concentradas en la localidad más grande, San Pedro. ubicada en las costas del mar.

• SNORKELLING Belize Turtle encounter 2, 2min.

• 2019 Ambergris Caye, Belize - Scuba Diving at Turneffe Atolls, Aug. 10, 17min. Dive sites: Vincent, Jack Barrow Wall and one other I don't remember.

• Cessna 182 Flight From Belize City To San Pedro, 3.5min. Cessna 182 Flight From Belize City To San Pedro

• The Garifuna Collective Belize Garifuna Music - Hamala Music Video, 3.5min. Hamala (Let Him Fly) is the first single from ABAN, the new album by The Garifuna Collective.

• Crested Guan talking to the camera at the Belize Zoo, No. 1, 17sec.

• Belize | San Pedro | Caye Caulker, 10min. Join us in our June 2019 journey as we travel Belize!

• , 2.5hr. PLB Opening Season | Verdes vs FF Valley Pride FC | Live from Norman Broaster Stadium, San Ignacio