Next Thread
Print Thread
Faber To Return As Leader Of The Opposition #552708
09/16/21 04:51 AM
09/16/21 04:51 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

It is accomplished, Patrick Faber will return as Leader of the Opposition. Reports say he could be sworn in as early as tomorrow.

Faber went to Belmopan today to hand deliver this letter to Governor General Froyla Tzalam. It bears the signature of three UDP Representatives, Faber himself, Hugo Patt and Tracy Panton. They comprise a majority of the opposition bench, and they tell the GG that Patrick Faber has their support as Leader of the Opposition while the current Leader, Moses Shyne Barrow quote, "does not enjoy the support required to remain in office we crave your urgent intervention to remove Barrow from the office he now holds and to replace him with Patrick Faber..."

So, it's game over for Shyne Barrow and he confirmed it in what he called a "farewell" press release 90 minutes ago, saying, quote, "I thank the Opposition Members who elected me to serve as Leader of the Opposition. I accept with grace that the majority of the Elected Opposition Members of the House have now elected a new Leader of the Opposition. I will discharge my duties as Leader of the Opposition faithfully until my successor is sworn in." End quote.

And that successor will take the oath, in time to give that all important Independence Day Address next Tuesday, it appears.

And that seems to have been the catalyst for Faber to make peace with bitter adversary John Saldivar and his Caucus For Change - which orchestrated a botched recall against him just weeks ago.

Reports say they have agreed to a unity pact which leads into a National Party Council meeting on Saturday. That meeting - Faber's first NPC since the election - has been called as a part of the party's internal reconciliation process.

The man now on the outside is Mesop Rep. Shyne Barrow - who after a brief but high profile stint as opposition leader - will now likely find himself at the far end of the opposition bench, alongside his aunt, Denise "Sister B" Barrow. In a US tour, Shyne Barrow presented himself publicly as "Leader of the House" and "Shadow Prime Minister." He would have capped this off with an Independence Day Address, but it now appears that singular honour will go to Faber.

The other big loser looks to be Khalid Belisle, who Faber was backing to replace Saldivar in Belmopan. He is now also likely to get pushed aside, as Saldivar is expected to have Faber's support to be re-installed as Belmopan standard-bearer - after a disastrous out-turn in the 2020 election.

Channel 7

Shyne Barrow says adios to the Office of the Leader of the Opposition.

LEADER OF THE OPPOSITION FAREWELL

It has been my distinct privilege and honor to serve my Country and Party as Leader of the Opposition.

I thank my UDP Opposition Parliamentary Caucus and my Shadow Cabinet for their tremendous support and dedication to advocating on behalf of the Belizean People during my time as Leader of the Opposition.

I thank the Elected Opposition Members of the House who elected me to serve as Leader of the Opposition.

I accept with grace that the majority of the Elected Opposition Members of the House have now elected a new Leader of the Opposition.

I will discharge my duties as Leader of the Opposition faithfully until my successor is sworn in.

Thereafter I will continue to serve my Mesopotamia Constituency and perform my Parliamentary duties earnestly to bring about better policies and quality of living for the Belizean People.

Re: Faber To Return As Leader Of The Opposition [Re: Marty] #552734
09/17/21 04:34 AM
09/17/21 04:34 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP
[Linked Image]

Hon. Patrick Faber Sworn In as Leader of the Opposition

The Governor General H.E. Froyla Tzalam today swore in Hon. Patrick Faber as the Leader of the Opposition.

Hon. Faber is succeeding Hon. Moses Shyne Barrow as the opposition leader.

Hon. Faber was accompanied by family and colleagues in the United Democratic Party.

Re: Faber To Return As Leader Of The Opposition [Re: Marty] #552766
09/18/21 04:40 AM
09/18/21 04:40 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

Saldivar and Faber - The Big UDP Hug-Up

It's been a big week for UDP Leader Patrick Faber - first he took back his seat as Leader of the Opposition - just in time for the Independence day address - after gaining the support of two of his fellow red representatives who'd been giving him the cold shoulder since June. But, the key step before that was making peace with the John Saldivar led "Caucus For Change" - a bloc of anti Faber standard bearers and caretakers who'd tried to have him recalled in early July.

When their best plans to end him failed - the two sides had no choice but to talk - and that has lead to the appearance of a barely used word in recent UDP history: UNITY.

That was on display this morning at the UDP Headquarters when Faber and Saldivar Tok the head table together - a moment that would have been unthinkable a month ago. Jules Vasquez was there with the popcorn for a made for TV reunion:

Patrick Faber and John Saldivar entered the UDP Headquarters together - the former friends turned rivals, then turned enemies - and now, allies once more

Shoulder to shoulder at the head table - two months after Saldivar and his Caucus for Change had done all it could to remove Faber. Today the tone was different - the leader embraced Saldivar:

Hon. Patrick Faber, UDP Party Leader
"My friend and colleague, John Saldivar."

And now, Saldivar and his Caucus for Change, an ally in uniting the UDP - after five rounds of conciliatory meetings between the two:

"And we were able to quickly decide on one thing, that it was time we unite the party, that it was time that we use our efforts to bring the party together, that it was time for us to bring the colleagues together, that it was time for us to say to the wider party let us stop this division and let us focus on fighting against the enemy which is the People's United Party. And I will make clear that on that occasion when John and I sat, all that was promised or all that was requested or all that was discussed is how we can bring the party together."

John Saldivar
"It is just time to unite. Time to put aside our differences and concentrate on being an effective opposition."

But Faber says no special deals were made:

"Saldivar and I when we discussed as well made no request. In fact, it was the opposite. We agreed from the onset that he would not occupy any position in the party that we would not have to give him any senior position as some of the media houses have reported."

Faber's redemption road also involved a Tuesday night meeting with the party's standard bearers:

"We left that meeting however unanimous. There was not one dissenting voice to say that we should not fully unify this party to make a us a strong and formidable force against the People's United Party."

John Saldivar, Belmopan Aspirant
"The unity that we have now forged is predicated on one and only one condition and that is inclusion as the party leader spoke about earlier. No other condition. That's all we ask for in these negotiations. We have not asked for a free pass to any convention as is evidence by I am still being challenge by Khalid Belisle. We have asked though that we be allowed to contest to lead our constituencies without interference from the party hierarchy."

"The changes that people want to see in this party will still come. However, all I am saying is let us include everybody in assessing and you may say it is a departure from what I was saying before, but that is the truth; the more you live the more you learn and the longer you are in this leadership position, the more you have to learn."

And while it looks like Faber has learned to eat humble pie - with a side serving of waffling, is he now embracing what is perceived as his party's corrupt wing?:

Reporter
"Aren't you concerned that perhaps the optics in terms of the entire campaign financing that Mr. Saldivar spoke on this morning would perhaps affect your quest for prime minister?"

"The greater optic that I have to be concerned about is the unity of the party. We have tried those ways of moving, that you've describe and it has not gotten us anywhere. The people of Belmopan will ultimately be the ones who decides whether John Saldivar is a candidate for this party again."

"I have always maintained that optics cannot over power truth."

Reporter
"I'll take you back to a comment that you made back in December during a press conference, you said that we try to listen to what the message that the people sent on election day, they said listen we want a party that is vibrant, we want a party that is energized, we want to see some fresh new faces and great ideas from you. Has the message of the people changed, particularly where those fresh new faces are concerned?"

"No, the message of the people hasn't change and my message hasn't change either as you heard me say. I have not and will not depart from this party's response to people. What Belizeans can be assured of is that the UDP now moving forward will not encourage corruption and we will do our very best to fight against that and to make sure that when we present the faces of the new UDP, that it will be one that people can look at and say listen corruption is not one of the watchwords of the party."

He'll have a hard time proving that by embracing his party's old guard - and today's press conference was more remarkable for who was not there - rather than who was:

Jules Vasquez, reporter
"I do not see any elected representatives here. I am saying that I don't see Hugo Patt, I don't see Tracey Taegar-Panton, I don't see Shyne Barrow, I don't see Sista B. You are rolling with losers, sir."

"(laughing) The only problem is there is no consequence to you being wrong. I've said that before."

"I will ignore much of what you've said. Did Hugo Patt and Tracey Taegar-Panton not signed the letter just yesterday of the day before?"

Jules Vasquez, reporter
"I didn't see their signatures."

"Okay, thank you. That speaks to their participation and if it is your question is about my role as leader of the opposition, you know that the required number of colleagues who needed to support to make the governor general act in the manner in which she did yesterday was met."

Jules Vasquez, reporter
"But isn't that saying a lot, sir, that it took you from June to September - 3 months to get 2 people to support you in your party. Two of your colleagues."

"I would prefer you look at it this way: it took me almost 3 months, but lets discount the month leading up to the recall convention. I think the convention was on July 11th, so it took us 2 months to be able to say the only way forward is unification."

And so while he may have rolled with the losers today - right now, loyalty may have a higher premium than electability:

John Saldivar
"Truth be told I examined the field; I looked at our options and I concluded along with my colleagues that Patrick Faber is the best person to lead our party at this time. Party leader, my hands are on deck. The hands of my colleagues are on deck. We are reporting for duty, sir."

One may be tempted to say Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid ride again, but - it's left to seen if this is the ride into the sunset, or a new dawn.

Despite the appearances of today's love-fest Faber insists he will remain neutral in the Belmopan convention between Khalid Belisle and John Saldivar.

Channel 7

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
To Get Your Questions Answered

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
San Pedro Fun Finder
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
October
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 245 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics75,593
Posts491,378
Members19,985
Most Online5,530
Jun 13th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.