Wide angle view of Half Moon Caye
Click here for original photo
An old weathered red and white lighthouse overlooks the blue lagoon at Half Moon Caye of Lighthouse Reef Atoll. The brick foundation is slowly crumbling into the waves and the sea salt has been eating away the steel frame. A pair of Ospreys have taken up residence at the top the lighthouse.
The first lighthouse on Half Moon Caye was built in 1820 and was lit on December first of that year. The lighthouse was replaced in 1845 and built midway between the north and south sides of the caye. The steel frame tower, which you see today, was built on the brick foundation in 1933. Hurricanes have actually shifted the caye northward. Now, the lighthouse rests at the edge of the sea. There has been interest in preserving this historic landmark but no efforts due to a lack of funding.
Photograph by Astrum Helicopters
artisticized by Marty Casado
Click here to comment on this picture.
Other Belizean "Pictures of the Day":
San Pedro Daily, Tony Rath's "Images of Belize"