Large jewfish (goliath grouper) caught long ago
Catch of the day!!
My daughter fascinated by the Jewfish. Photo taken on my father-in-laws dock, which is now known as the Amigos Del Mar dock. Gas station is in the background.
My daughter is now 21, and has her own beatiful little daughter, a little older than my dayghter is in this photo.
What a fish. Not caught by me, I must add.
One of the key missing link that made us strong Sanpedranos... This was an excellent source of protein and tasty too!
Here are some fun Facts about the Jew Fish. If you don’t understand Garifuna you can always just read the facts below:
1. The Jewfish, also called the goliath grouper, is the largest fish on the reef.
2. These massive creatures can reach lengths of up to 8 feet and weigh more than 800 pounds.
3. This large, solitary fish will defend its territory when threatened, with a loud rumbling sound it makes with its swim bladder.
4. They must be 4-7 years old before they are mature enough to spawn and can live up to 50 years.
5. Although most groupers start out as females, they change sex and become males later in life.
6. The goliath grouper is totally protected from harvest and is recognized as a “critically” endangered species.
Photograph by Grant Crimmins
Click here to comment on this picture.