Belize Harbour showing Fort George Island, long ago
Fort George Island, on the left side of the Belize River Estuary accommodated in 1803 a small Fort George. Later it was a lighthouse station and an area for fishermen. Separated from the mainland by a creek running by the present Marketing Board and then by present Keyhole Alley, the Jefferson Construction Company in 1922 - 23 joined it to the mainland, reclaimed it, and built the high and low sea walls around it for the sum of $285,000.
Click here to comment on this picture.