Her Majesty's Prison in Belize in the 1920's
The old Gaol built in 1826, on a site at the corner of Albert and Church Streets, opposite the Court House, was destroyed by fire 1854. If was a wooden structure surmounted by a clock-tower. It was replaced by the present substantial two storey brick building built in 1857 situated on Gabourel Lane facing the sea, surrounded by concrete walls enclosing approximately three acres of ground. It was the only real prison of the Colony and known as the Prison. Prior to 1885, this building had accommodation for 71 males and 6 female for a total of 77. In the late 1980’s and early 1990’s the prison population started to grow rapidly and the Goal Lane Prison was soon housing over 800 prisoners. The prison is now a museum.
Photographs courtesy Noel Escalante
Click here to comment on this picture.