Big Wesley Church, long ago
1) The Memorial Stone was laid by his Excellency J. Gardiner Austin Esq Lieut. Governor on 3rd November,1864.
2) The Church was opened on December 23, 1866, on Albert Street at the location of the present Wesley Church.
3) The Chapel was 80’ x 50’ with a western gallery to seat 700 people.
4) The lower storey contained the boys and girls schools entered by two doors from the front.
5) It was built with pavior bricks.
6) The doors and windows dressings were of white bricks.
7) All of the windows were fitted with cast iron sashes.
8) The cost of the church was approximately 7,000 pounds of which 3,250 pounds was for labour.
9) Mr. Hoole of Craven Street was the Architect.
10) Mr. Hoole was the son of one of the General Secretaries of the Wesleyan Missionary Society, Dr. Elijah Hoole.
11) The Church was designed similar to Mr. Hoole’s residence in India.
12) While the church stood, it had not been eclipsed in Belize by any modern architecture for beauty, convenience or ventilation.
13) Rev. E.D. Webb was the first Preacher.
14) The church was destroyed by the September 10th, 1931 hurricane.
BIG WESTLEY, Belize Oral History
In this "2 Cents Cam", we interview residents of Belize City to document the heritage and history of Big Westley.
Click here to comment on this picture.