Downtown San Ignacio, 1930's and 1970
Top photo: 1930's, This is what was called Downtown Cayo.
This was taken from the same spot by the Lisbey Sisters towards what was once called MORA TOWN (Spanish people called it MORATON).
In this picture on the left, was Don David Espat general store.
Further was Mr Charles Masssaih Store and across the street is where the Balmoral Hotel is now situiated.
This street, now called Burns Avenue was named Commerce Street, but in 1935, after a visit by Colonial Governor Allan, Cuthbert Maxwell BURNS, the name was changed from Commerce Street to BURNS AVENUE.
Bottom photo: A view of downtown San Ignacio looking towards administration building.
This picture was taken before the two fires of 1969 and 1972.
The site from where this picture was taken, was the political battlefield where we placed our rostrum and speakers. ( This lot belonged to our great supporters, Donia Verena and Donia Mariana Lisbey. )
The building on the left is that famous survivor of both fires.
On the right are going up were, Don Juan Espat Store, then, Don Edwardo Juan Cantene, followed by Don Angel Adle's famous Casa Blanca Club. The flat buildings housed Mr Cyril Simmons home and Restaurant, followed by Don Daniel Habet's general Store.
In the back ground is the Administration building.
Photographs and information courtesy Hector Silva
Click here to comment on this picture.