Center of commerce in San Ignacio Town in the early 1900's
Here is the beginning of San Ignacio del Cayo in the early 1900's.
The photograph shows the first part of the administrative and commercial center of town, this area is now by the Belize Bank.
Of these buildings, only two remain standing.
The First District Commissioner's living quarters by the town clock. And the other,
the Don Jose Maria Galvez home on Burns Avenue.
The field in the forefront is In front of present day courts, where the steers and wagons were parked before going to the forests to bring mahogany logs, to the bacadeere, by the present market, so that they float them on the Belize River to Burrel Boom and then to the Belize City Harbor to be exported.
Photograph by S. Avery
Click here to comment on this picture.