Albert Street in Belize City, 1898
This is a photo taken of Albert Street in 1898. The photographer would have been somewhere where Heritage Bank is today. The Brick building on the right is where Belize Bank is currently, Sometime in the early 1900s a local surveyor convinced the Town to widen Albert Street. He was able to convince the Town to move the properties back from Belize Bank all the way to Brodies. That is why that stretch is wider than the rest. Unfortunately, at that time it was not a popular idea with the merchants so the widening ceased at Brodies. Think about how much nicer Albert Street would have been had the Town approved the widening all the way down to the Anglican Cathedral Church.
The Building on the left that is pushing out is where Abdu building is today and where Orange Street meets Albert Street In the distant background you will be able to get a glimpse of the Grand Old Wooden Bridge with the high arch This was the bridge that was built around 1859 and would be the last wooden bridge before the new iron swing bridge was installed in 1923.
This is a very old image dating to the pre iron Bridges in downtown Belize City. Check out carefully, the old wooden bridge is there in the background.
Here's the same area now...