1829 Belize City map
Articles on Belize Belizean Artists and paintings Banks of Belize The Belize Barrier Reef Birds and Birding in Belize Belize Blogs Boat Charters Bookstore Businesses in Belize Belizean Casinos Caving and Cave tubing in Belize Annual Costa Maya Festival Cruise Ships Belize Scuba Diving and Snorkeling Electronic greeting cards with a Belizean flavor Economics of Belize Ambergris Caye Field Guide Fishing in Belize tarpon bonefish Golf carts Belize History Knowledgebase for Belize and Ambergris Caye Hol Chan Marine Reserve Belizean Holidays Belize Resorts, lodging Belize Maps Tour Guides in Belize Belize Message Boards / Forums National Parks and Reserves in Belize Latest Belize News Ambergris Caye Telephonebook /Directory Photographs of Belize Belize Restaurants Real Estate and Realtors in Belize Shopping in Belize Sitemap Snorkeling in Belize Spa / Massage What to do in Belize Belize Tour Guides, Travel Agents Quick Travel Hints Video Volunteers and Volunteering in Belize Belize Weather Forecast and conditions Belize Weddings, Getting married in Belize What's New on the Website Artists in Belize, Belizean Art
January 10, 2021

Previous | Next | Archive |

BelizeSearch.com
Website of the Day

The Belize City House of Culture and Downtown Rejuvenation Project
The Government of Belize has adopted an objective the Belize City House of Culture and the historical downtown of Belize City for the purpose of preserving the historic and colonial heritage of the area, utilizing an eco-museum development concept. The Government has hence approved The Belize City House of Culture and Downtown Rejuvenation Project to which the Ministry of Tourism, Culture Civil Aviation has been appointed as the executing agency for the Project.
Click here for past
Websites of the Day
1829 Belize City map

No Fort George, no Foreshore, no Queen Street, no Victoria Street, etc. We were just becoming of age! No Albert and Regent Street but all the cross streets are same names. Regent Street was Front Street; no Southern Foreshore; no Fort George Area (the island “fort” was still out there). Southside was the center of town! Belize river mouth, instead of Haulover Creek! Also see First school (Honduras Free School), Cathedral, Cemetery, Government House. Notice the Jail at the corner of Back Street and Church Street. No Bird's Isle. There is a canal on Queen street.

Our first Gaol which is at the corner of Albert and Church Street on the map. It was newly built at the time this map was made in the 1820s. It was destroyed by fire around 1854 at which point the prison was relocated to where the Museum of Belize is currently near the Central Bank. of Belize. The next important building is the Free School located along Albert Street almost to the end of the map. The building is described in John Lloyd Stevens' book "Incidents of Travel in Yucatan" when he visited Belize in 1839. From members comments on this page, it seems that the building was torn down in the 60's. It was opened in 1816 with twelve free poor students.

Eboe Town, first record of a Barracks for the enslaved population. Eboe Town was the home of where all the slaves settled.

Another important feature of this map is that if you superimpose it on a google map of Belize, the streets on the Southside lines up perfectly with the google map and you re able to see the extent of the reclamation of the Foreshore area which was not reclaimed when this map was drawn. It shows that a lot of land filling occurred which joined Potts Point to Fort George island. Now when you stand behind the Court House and look at Baron Bliss light house, that area was once an isle separated from Belize City, surrounded by sea back then. That area where Queen Street was was very low and it had lots of water so they must have dug the canal so it could drain properly.

Since there was no Southern Foreshore Drive in this map, it probably was added when they dredged and filled in Potts Point to Fort George Island. One Canal meandered through the southside and now we have 2 canals, East and West Collet Canals that run almost straight. The canal on the northside was relocated further west to where it is now between Holy Redeemer Parish and Holy Redeemer School and not directly adjacent to what is now Queen Street.

One thing that that is intresting about this map is that the canal, because of the way it is snaking along, appears to have been a natural creek. I know that the Racecourse St. section of the canal was once a natural creek. However, i am not certain about the entire canal.

Click here to comment on this picture.




Click here for a list of previous pictures of the day
Click here for a large selection of photographs and videos of Belize
Email us - Weyour photographs. Send us yours with a description!


Belize Search.com Belize News.com Belize Cards.com Belize History IslandBazaar.net Belize Weather
Belize Lodging Tours & Recreation Diving & Snorkeling Fishing Travel Tips Real Estate
AmbergrisCaye.com Island Information Visitor Center Belize Business San Pedro Sun
SanPedroDaily.com Belize Message Board Restaurants Things to do

Belize Picture of the Day


button Home button Island button Community button History button Visitor Center button Goods & Services button Search button Forum button Contact Us button

Copyright by Casado Internet Group, Belize