Punta Gorda Front Street, 1940's, also PG "Big Wharf" in 1940
PG Front Street was a clustered "downtown" as shown in this picture taken in the early 1940s. Many businesses had their own landing pier, the curve in the coastline shown here is the same that exists near the Front Street market today.
Unfortunately, the hurricane of Oct. 1945, which destroyed 80% of the town destroyed all this. Fortunately, only one life was lost during that hurricane.
The second picture shows what "Big Wharf", the town's main pier was in 1917. The sailboat, named E.M.L. was one of the main transports to Belize City back then.
Photographs courtesy Jeremy A. Enriquez
Click here to comment on this picture.