Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
3 Images
Marty Offline OP
The Right Honourable George Cadle Price

By PATRICK E. JONES

BELIZE CITY (AP) - Belize's founding father and first prime minister, George Price, died early Monday, just short of three decades since he led the small Central American nation to independence. He was 92.

Price died at the Belize Healthcare Partners Hospital in Belize City, said a grand nephew, Henry Charles Usher. He was hospitalized Wednesday after a fall at his Belize City home and put in a medically induced coma following surgery to remove a blood clot.

Prime Minister Dean Barrow declared a week of mourning lasting until Sept. 26.

Price was Belize's first leader when it became independent from Britain on Sept. 21, 1981. As head of the centrist People's United Party, he served two terms as prime minister, in 1981-84 and 1989-1993, and is considered the father of the Caribbean country of about 300,000 people that borders Mexico and Guatemala.

Belize is on the Central American mainland but maintains closer cultural ties with other English-speaking former British colonies in the Caribbean than with its Spanish-speaking neighbors.
In a message broadcast to the nation, the current prime minister called Price "a giant of a man, the greatest architect of Belizean nationalism and Belizean sovereignty."

The government and Price's family planned a state funeral for next Monday, Barrow said. Until then, flags in Belize will be flown at half staff, except for Independence Day on Wednesday.

"On behalf of a grateful nation to which Mr. Price devoted his entire life, I offer condolences to his immediate and extended family and to the People's United Party," Barrow said.

56 Comments
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Prime Minister Ingraham offers condolensces on the passing of Rt. Honourable George Cadle Price

Nassau, Bahamas - The Prime Minister of the Commonwealth of the Bahamas, the Rt Hon. Hubert A. Ingraham offered the following statement on September 20th, 2011 on the passing of the Right Honourable George Cadle Price, Prime Minister of Belize:
It is with sadness that I learned of the death yesterday of the Rt. Honourable George Cadle Price, the first Prime Minister of an independent Belize who was considered the "Father of the Nation" and was one of the principal architects of its independence.

On my own behalf and that of my colleagues and the Government and people of The Bahamas I offer condolences to the family of the former Prime Minister as well as to the Government and people of Belize.

In 1961 George Price became First Minister of Belize (then known as British Honduras) subsequently serving as Premier after the attainment of internal self-rule. In 1981 after independence he became Prime Minister. Having served as Prime Minister and in Opposition since 1981 he retired from active politics in 1996.

In 2002, for his service to Belize, George Price became the first person to receive his country's highest honour, the Order of National Hero. He was also conferred with the Order of the Caribbean Community for his service to Caricom and the people of the Caribbean and received various honours from a number of governments in the Caribbean and Central America.

The Bahamas joins the Belizean people, Member States of Caricom, and the wider Caribbean, as well as the regional and international community in expressing profound gratitude for the life of George Price and the role he played in the promotion of human dignity, human rights and human development throughout the world.

He was a fine son of Belize and the Caribbean and a true citizen of the world.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Freetown remembers Price

George Price

Testimonials about George Price are being offered across the country. But the Freetown Division, Price's old political stomping ground, the people felt a personal attachment to the Father of the Nation from even before he was an area representative. Price first served in the Pickstock division, a part of which became the Freetown Division. This afternoon current PUP Freetown Area Representative and some of the area residents gave testimonials of Price that go back as far as the nineteen fifties.

Francis Fonseca, P.U.P. Area Representative, Freetown

Francis Fonseca

"We in Freetown feel that we have a special claim on George Price because of curse he was the first P.U.P. area representative for Freetown. If my facts are correct, I believe he served as the Freetown Area Representative from 1961 up until 1984 when he lost his first election. So he served and represented Freetown for over twenty-three years. And as you would appreciate during those twenty plus years, he formed deep and longstanding relationships with many of the people in this community. Obviously Freetown is a much changed division now; there was no Belama in those days. But the core area of the old King's Park, Lizarraga Avenue, Gentle Avenue Area is what was the core of Freetown back in Mister Price's day and remains the core part of Freetown today. And if you go into that area you would meet the old families; a lot of the homes there was built during Mister Price's tenor as representative and all of those people that have lived in Freetown for twenty plus yearas know him, appreciate him, love him and have tremendous respect for him. So what we do; we are building on that foundation that he has left for us."

Alma Arnold Jones

Alma Arnold Jones

"I get this house from Mister Price through lawyer Gray weh mi dead and me and he been close all the time. I remember when I take sick in 1961 when the hurricane; he visit me, I passed the hurricane and ih help me gone dah Guatemala and I come back. While I was in the hospital, the morning early, I see this lee Spanish man di come up and I say dah who this and this weather just di done. I say oh dah dah Mister Price. Ih seh well I hear that hospital gone down so I come see if dah true. From then me and Mister Price alright. I come live back yah forty odd years, I canvas with them and everything-ih call mi, Miss Arnold from the Albert. Ih dah mi wah very nice man to me. I think di whole of Belize feel the same way I feel. He was a very good person-somebody you coulda mi stop and talked with. I used to canvas with him back yah."

Jose Sanchez

"Upon hearing the news, where were you when he passed?"

Alma Arnold Jones

"I was ina the hospital with my heart because I got bad heart. And I just come out when dehn say Mister Price dead. I say what? I couldn't believe it. Mi daughter neva want ah know good that day. The evening when I hear and I take mi pills and gone sleep and the next morning when I wake up, I hear it on the radio and from then I deh ina tears. Mister Price dah mi wah godsend man. Definitely with the help of god, he gwen dah heaven. He was godsend person to this country."

Alexander Bennett

Alexander Bennett

"I met mister price under sad circumstance. My mother ill was ill, I was teaching in August Pine Ridge and she became ill. And I brought her to Orange Walk to the Hospital and I taught it would be better to bring her down to Belize to try to get her well. I went to the doctor's office and he examined her and he wanted her to go into his hospital but we didn't have any money to keep her in the hospital. But it so happened that Mister Price was on the scene at the same time and he either spoke with me or heard what was taking place and he said; you know what, take her to the hospital. I am going to speak with somebody there and they will admit her to the hospital. I did so and I don't remember the British doctor. And that is how my mother was admitted to the hospital and I felt Mister Price probably helped to save her life."

Jeanette Bennett

Mrs. Jeanette Bennett

"I find mister price to be very humble. As others have said and I've heard it on the television; quite a humble, intelligent, straight forward, kind and all nice things that I could say of him personally. He was not a man for the rich; he was also for the poor. He always mentioned, whenever we were canvassing; go to everyone whether U.D.P. or P.U.P.; never miss a house and try to be nice when you visit homes. But to say of Mister Price, even before 1978, he was always mentioned in my home. He had a vision and he was for all and he wanted to make this country a sound one and so with that he tried for everybody. So he was a man for all seasons."

Jeanette Bennett also said that if it wasn't for Price, she would have never had the opportunity to get a parcel of land to build her home.

Channel 5

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

A Tribute to the Leader Emeritus

The love from the Freetown Division for the Father of the Nation, Right Honorable George Price, is strong among supporters of his generation who worked the peaceful, constructive revolution. But how do young people relate to Price? This morning on the eve of independence, News Five's Andrea Polanco got reaction from high school students.

Citizen

"He was a man who dedicated himself to his country and his family. He never gave up the thought of independence, he fought hard for it and when he got it he was the only leader in the Caribbean who took his nation to independence without bloodshed. And I must say that we should be proud of the man who led the country for so many years in such a peaceful manner. We must always remember that George Price was the greatest leader the country ever had."

Andrea Polanco, Reporting

While the older citizens of Belize grieve the loss of this iconic Belizean figure, the younger generation shared their views on the man who wore many hats, the late Right Hon. George Cadle Price:

Asher Mendoza

Asher Mendoza, Third Form, E.P Yorke

"It meant, it was very sorrowful at first but then in the end I felt like a great glory, victory right; because he was the father of the nation right? He stressed, he pressed, he strained for us and he continued to uphold the country and try to bring them up from a lesser developed country to a more developed country so that was quite meaningful to me"

Kyle Perez, First Form, St. John's College

Kyle Perez

"Well it was very sad because he was also a part of the St. John's Family so it was a really hard thing to take and he was a good person in life."

Asher Canto, Fourth Form E.P. Yorke

"Right Honorable George Cadle Price, he's the father of our nation and personally I think he was a good man. He did a lot of good things for our country. My feelings towards him, he had a successful life."

Asher Canto

While Belize prepares to celebrate thirty years of sovereignty, a movement led by the Father of the nation, the young people weigh their thoughts on independence and the progress of the nation:

Asher Mendoza

"Basically for the political part, the leaders I see that most of them try to do their best in each different sector and dimension of where they work. But I have seen maturity in our leaders and that has grown very much."

Ashley Rudon

Ashley Rudon, Third Form Nazarene High School

"Well Belize got its independence; it makes its own elections for the Prime Minister for your own Prime Minister who you think is good. That it is a free country."

While some believe it is fitting for the country to observe a day in honor of the late leader, the young students had consensus on the idea:

Zarina Zetina

Zarina Zetina, Fourth Form, Pallotti High School

"Yes I believe that we should have a special day for the honorable George Cadle Price, as he is the father of our nation. He is the one who brings about the independence, bring us Belize. If it wasn't for him we probably won't be here as it is."

Asher Mendoza

"I am not really against it I am for it because it expresses our gratitude to him so I don't mind. It is our privilege to have it for him."

Shawna Cal

Shawna Cal, Fourth Form, Pallotti

"Yes I do believe that because we should honor him for what he did so I do believe that we should have a George Price Day."

Asher Canto

"George Cadle Price Day, yes, people in my class they love the fact of another holiday, who doesn't? But I am more of an academic student. I do not mind another holiday but to me it all boils down to the government, if they want it they can have it; paying my respects, I would love to have it."

Michelle Vernon

Michelle Vernon, Fourth Form, Nazarene High School

"Yes because he was the father of the nation like you said because he was a humble man and he didn't worry about being rich or fame or anything he just wanted our country to be free."

Hubert Joseph, Fourth Form Nazarene High School

Hubert Joseph

"Yes ma'm I would like to see that because he is someone that we should honor because he did, he brought us where we are today so I will like to honor him every year yuh know, continue to celebrate his achievements for our country."

Reporting for News Five, I am Andrea Polanco.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The Road to Independence with George Price

In the next few hours, the Belize flag will be raised at Memorial Park in Belize City with fitting pomp and circumstance. It is an event that symbolizes the first time the red, white and blue national standard was hoisted in 1981 paving the way for an independent and free Belize. George Price, the first prime minister and leader of the People's United Party had succeeded in his singular achievement. Tonight, we pause to reflect on that moment thirty years ago when the Union Jack gave way to the national flag and the emergence of a new nation. In the decades that followed, Price continued to dominate the political life of the new Belize. News Five's Isani Cayetano looks back at 1981.

Isani Cayetano, Reporting

The symbolic raising of the Belizean flag on the eve of September 21st, 1981 is a moment enshrined in the annals of our nation. The struggle for political freedom from Britain which later resulted in independence is synonymous with the name George Cadle Price. Sure, there were others who were instrumental in the movement towards self-government but the singular achievement of a man who would later become known as the Father of the Nation has transcended politics, race, religion and all other social constructs.

His stewardship over half a century ago, at a time in this country's history when leaders were desperately needed, ultimately gave rise to Belize's sovereignty and territorial integrity.

George Price

Rt. Hon. George Price, First Prime Minister of Belize

"From the very start we had as an objective self-government and independence and we continued that 'til we got it, self-government in 1964. That was I think from 1950 to 1964, fourteen years, and then after 1964 the independence of Belize was internationalized. We got the support of the world community, first beginning with the Commonwealth but by then in 1964 we had the Caribbean Community. So many things happening and they were the first ones to support the movement. From there the Commonwealth, [and] from there the Non-Aligned Movement."

In the years that followed the fledgling nation would come to stand on its own feet, growing to become a proud people committed to development and progress despite the numerous stumbling blocks that come with maturity.

BBC Reporter

"First priority for the new nation now is to win admission to the United Nations. With this Belizeans believe they can have more security as an independent nation than they ever had as a colony though as an independent nation they will still depend on British strength."

Isani Cayetano

Isani Cayetano

"It's been thirty years since the stately colors that have come to define Belize were hoisted against the backdrop of that warm, festive September night in Belmopan. Since then a lot has happened including the succession of six political administrations, as well as the collective, cultural and economic integration of a people that would gradually reduce British influence."

Three decades later a new leader has emerged to take the reins from a once dominant organization which led its membership to political victories long before independence became a reality. At the first ever prime ministers' forum held in Belize City last week P.M. Barrow soberly reflected on the electoral state of affairs during the fourteen-year period, as previously mentioned by the late premier, leading up to and following independence.

Dean Barrow

Dean Barrow [File: September 15th, 2011]

"I was concerned, as Manuel indicated he was, with the fact that ever since Self-Government and even before, one political party had won every election. I thought that if that trend were to continue, it could not be good for our emergent democracy. I then knew that fresh faces, new blood would have to get involved from the so call opposition point of view. My predisposition in terms of temperament in terms of my family's position, I was always opposition. And so this conference, this combination of factors, my feelings that really there needed to be a change at the level of the political directorate as a sort of country refresher after independence."

Indeed Belize has come a long way post-Independence but there is still a long way to go in the continued social and political development of our nation. Ironically, thirty years ago this citizen strongly opposed the efforts of George Price to have Belize gain its independence. The placard on his back read "I object to the timing and the terms of independence." Before him another reads "It is our right to accept or reject our new constitution". That mantra still rings true today in light of current proposed changes to the very constitution that was brought to life by Belize's independence. Reporting for News Five, I am Isani Cayetano.

The flag-raising ceremony will be broadcast on this station as soon as it gets underway from the Memorial Park and stay tuned for our broadcast from Belmopan on Wednesday morning for the official Independence Day ceremonies.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Official notes of Condolences on passing of 1st Prime Minister

Since he passed away at the Universal Health Care Partners on Monday morning, the outpouring of affection for the Father of the Nation, National Hero and Leader Emeritus of the P.U.P., has been incessant. Expressions of condolences poured in today as the country grieves the death of George Price, including one from former US President Jimmy Carter. The national hero is being remembered all across the land and the region for his unflinching service to his Belize. News Five's Delahnie Bain has a look at more of the tributes in honor of the iconic George Price.

Delahnie Bain, Reporting

The Caribbean Broadcasting Union issued a release expressing sadness at Price's passing. The CBU secretary general, Patrick Cozier is quoted as saying "His genuineness as a populist political representative and compassionate leader, is worthy of emulation by today's leaders and his loss will be greatly felt in Belize and within the region."

The University of the West Indies and its officials from across the region also sent condolences to Price's family and all Belizeans in a release that read "The dedication and service of the Right Honorable George C. Price to the people and nation of Belize will be etched in the pages of history as well as in the minds and hearts of the Belizean people."

The Belize Red Cross expressed not only sadness over Price's death, but gratitude to the Belizean icon described in their press release as an outstanding statesman, leader and visionary. Meanwhile the Anglican Diocese said today that Time alone will continue to reveal the fuller impact of the legacy of the Right Honorable Price on the people of Belize. Yet a very grateful nation pauses at this point in time to celebrate a life lived to its potential of making a difference in the lives of others."

Condolences also came this afternoon from the Belize Electricity Limited in statement that read "Through his unwavering commitment and selfless dedication, Mr. Price forged a new nation, gave the people of Belize an identity and directed its citizenry to continue in our nation building efforts through peace and humility; both virtues which Mr. Price exemplified throughout his life and which now form the cornerstone of Belize’s Independence."

And while the official statement from the People's United Party and its Leader John Brice�o, was issued on Monday; the Order of Distinguished Service and the Northern Caucus sent out separate releases today. The ODS said "The Lord has called him from this earth to a better life but his spirit will remain with us as we continue to defend those things that he stood for - freedom, justice, and a better way of life." The Northern Caucus acknowledged Price's contribution the development of the northern districts and said that "Our nation owes the Father of the Nation a debt which can only be repaid through the continuation of his legacy�brought to life through the words he gave the People's United Party and which he lived every day of his life - serve the people."

This evening, tributes came in from the Embassy of Brazil and the Council of the Assemblies of God of Belize. While we can only share snippets of the many releases, the full documents can be viewed on Channel5belize.com.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

OPINION: First and former prime minister of Belize, George Cadle Price, dead at 92

Sep 22, 2011 (Caribbean News Now - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) -- George Cadle Price was born on January 15, 1919, in Belize City, to William Price and Irene Escalante-Price and was the eldest child out of their ten children. He graduated from Saint John's College in Belize City and then later joined the Catholic priesthood to study in Mississippi and Guatemala.

He later returned to Belize and entered politics in 1947, when he was first elected to the Belize City Council. Three years later he joined with Philip Goldson, Leigh Richardson, John Smith, Nicholas Pollard and others to form the People's United Party in 1950 and was elected to the post of assistant secretary while John Smith was elected the first party leader. He was first elected to the Legislative Council in 1954 and served up until 1956, when he became the leader of the party after a dispute.

He later ran for mayor of Belize City and won and served in that capacity up until 1962. In 1961 he was appointed First Minister of Belize and then, when Belize was granted self-government in 1964, he became the premier of Belize. When Belize attained its independence from Great Britain on September 21, 1981, he became the first prime minister of Belize. In 1984 when Belize held its first post-independence election, the United Democratic Party (UDP) became the first opposition party to defeat the People's United Party by a margin of 21-7 and George Price was defeated by a newcomer Derick Aikman in the Freetown Division.

Despite his defeat, George Price remained party leader of the People's United Party until he stepped down in 1996, when he was replaced by Said Musa. He later ran in the Pickstock Division in Belize City and won, and he represented that division until his retirement from active politics. He was later appointed Leader Emeritus of the People's United Party and given the title "Father of The Nation" by the then Prime Minister Said Musa.

George Price was always a strong advocate for Belize's independence from Great Britain. During the struggle for Belize's independence, the clash was between him and Philip Goldson, the leader of the National Independence Party (NIP) one of the root parties of the now United Democratic Party (UDP). Both men were originally founders of the People's United Party but, after a dispute within the party, Philip Goldson broke away from the party and formed his own.

Philip Goldson , Leigh Richardson and George Price were placed on trial for sedition due their political activities against the British government . Philip Goldson and Leigh Richardson were convicted and sent to prison but George Price was acquitted. After his acquittal, he became even more popular among Belizeans for his determination to achieve Belize's independence.

From the time the British settled in Belize they were not interested in making Belize a colony. However, the British settlers who were living in Belize wanted the British to make it a crown colony and in 1862 the British honoured their request.

Belize was always claimed by Spain and, when the Latin American countries broke away from Spain in the mid 1800s, the country was administrated by Mexico and Guatemala. Mexico controlled from the Yucatan peninsula up to the Sibun River and Guatemala from the Sibun River to the Department of Peten.

Guatemala and Mexico later signed treaties with Great Britain acknowledging new borders with Belize but Guatemala later reclaimed Belize up to this day. Mexico, on the other hand, has stuck to their agreement made in the treaty signed with Great Britain to recognize Belize as a sovereign and independent nation with all its existing territories.

George Price's political philosophy was centre-left and as a leader ran the country like a tight ship. He rewarded the people who helped him to assume power and kept a close eye on those who were not his supporters. Many people have accused him of being a very vindictive politician because at one point in his political career he said that he was going to reward his friends and punish his enemies. Yet, there are many Belizeans who saw him as a very kind individual who helped them and their families when they were in need. He is known for remembering people's families' last names and picking those people up who needed a ride to reach their destinations from the roadside with his jeep.

He was so well liked that some Belizeans used to say, "Yu no know how much I like this man, that if he dress up wah broom stick and tell me fu vote for it, I will vote for it."

I remember when I was a boy growing up in Dangriga Town when George Price used to come to my town. The men would back him on their shoulders and carry him through the main streets as if God had arrived. When Philip Goldson arrived these same PUP men used to throw rotten eggs at him while he was on the rostrum trying to give a speech, to disrupt his meetings. Witnessing this behaviour towards a black man like myself turned me against the People's United Party from then. When these men were arrested by the police the People's United Party would go and take them out of prison and they would go back and do the same thing again.

Philip Goldson, Leigh Richardson, Nicholas Pollard, George Price and many of our nation's founding fathers are now dead and gone. This year, Belizeans are getting ready to celebrate their 30th independence, with the Guatemalan claim still unsettled. We should all be grateful and thankful to them and pay tribute to the efforts they made to make Belize the country what it is today. They have paved the way to create a nation; it is now our responsibility as citizens of this beloved country to ensure that Belize remains a sovereign nation with all its territory intact.

Caribbean News Now

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Musa Speaks On his History With Price

Sure to feature prominently at the Price Funeral is the man who succeeded him as leader of the PUP, Said Musa.

He took over from Price in 1996, 22 years after the then Premier had called on him to join the PUP.

And, at least in terms of image, Musa has hewn very close to Price, naming him senior minister in his 1998 Cabinet.

And, taken in the long view, his allegiance to Price is intriguing, because Musa started out in politics as a firebrand, a sort of revolutionary, very opposed to the idea of Price's incremental, peaceful constructive revolution.

We asked him today how he came around to what we'll call Price-ism:

Jules Vasquez
"Your father once ran against the PUP in Cayo, and was the Mayor - I believe one of the first Mayors, if not the first Mayor of San Ignacio. And you, yourself, was opposed to the PUP during the UBAD pack days. How is it that - and as I recalled also, you had lost a government job, as a Magistrate, and I believe that you lost your job because of the radicalism - it was said - that you espoused. Having said all that, what eventually led to you becoming a Price-ist?"

Rt. Hon. Said Musa - Price Brought Him Into Politics
"First of all, you were perfectly right in saying that my father was an NIP in the old days, but what I take comfort from is the fact that whenever he met Mr. Price - and I recall as a little boy in San Luis, when Mr. Price would go there to visit Don Quahim Habet, who was the owner of the lumber operations there. My father was the foreman. Mr. Price always treated him with absolute politeness and respect, and that of course, was the first impression I had of this man. As for when I had returned from university, and was part of the pack, that was affiliated with UBAD - and then we had joined together to form RAM - and some would say it was my revolutionary days, from which I moved away from. I think it was a part of my growing up - part of my maturity. I believe any young person who doesn't have a rebellious streak in him, has not really lived. So I considered that as an important part of my development at a politician. I began to understand where Mr. Price was coming from, while I was at University, I must say. The struggle for independence, the fact that all the noise about this Guatemalan issue - branding him as sell-out - that kind troubles a lot of the Belizean people at the time. But when you sift it all apart, and you realized that this man was fighting for freedom, that Belize should not be integrated, incorporated, or associated with any other state, but Belize belong to the Belizean people, it grew on me that this man was our liberator. So when I came home, yes, I was disposed toward the PUP, but I felt that the independence struggle was going too slow. I felt that we had to step things up, from a personal point-of-view, but also at that time - as I said at the forum - I wasn't really interested in becoming an elected politician. I saw myself, by that time, as a career in the law - stick to it. But as a Belizean, observing the situation, I felt that I could play my little part, along with our young colleagues at the time - Evan X Hyde, Assad, and of course the UBAD members, Shabazz, Justice, everybody - that we could help to stimulate things forward. So in a way, we were contributing toward Mr. Price's goal, in bringing the consciousness and the need for national unity within our country. And so, that led to an accident of history - if you like - that here I was in this very office that we are in right now, when I got the phone call from Mr. Price, If I could meet him at his office. I suspected Everal Waight, my uncle, had set the stage for that, because when I went over there, he was there along with Mr. Price. And that's when he asked me to - or informed me - that Sir Sandy Hunter had decided to retire from Fort George because of health reason, and If I would consider taking up the challenge. And the rest is history."

Jules Vasquez
"You worked with Mr. Price for many years - from 1974 up to your Government as well. What would you say was his most anxious moment that you were aware of? And how did he act or react in those anxious moments? We always see him as particularly stoic, but we know that any leader confronts issues that provoke anxiety."

Rt. Hon. Said Musa
"I had never seen Mr. Price, in all my years, in a total panic mode. He was a very cool 'Cat' - as they would say in modern lingua - very cool individual. Perhaps stoic is not the word. He had that ability to look inside of himself, and to live in the moment, and to realize that all these things happening, that too will pass. But I would say that perhaps the most troubling moment that I could recall was once when we getting near to a decision as to whether to go forward with independence, but then we had the Heads of Agreement. And there was this very famous - well it wasn't famous. It's still not famous - but there was this meeting-"

Jules Vasquez
"It may be after this."

Rt. Hon. Said Musa
"At his home, when the leaders of the party were present, in particular, I remembered Indy Rogers, Harry Courtenay, Luis Sylvester, Assad, myself, and Mr. Price. And the decision had to made, 'Are we still going forward? Or are we going to give in to the voices calling for tenured memoratorium. And the reason that it was even on the table, is because there was quite a bit of unrest happening at the time locally. And Mr. Price listened to the views of each one of us present, and then made decision forward. We were going forward. There was no note. 'We must seize the moment. We must seize the day now.' That to me was a very troubling but important day in his life, I believe, when he took that decisive step, because perhaps, we would not be celebrating 30 years if he didn't take that decision."

Jules Vasquez
"How was he at the time? Was he wracked with doubt? Was he apprehensive, or was he decisive?"

Rt. Hon. Said Musa
"He had no doubt that to delay independence would be, perhaps, to lose it forever. The only thing that troubled him was that we didn't want to see bloodshed in Belize at the time."

Jules Vasquez
"If you recall, what were the last words exchanged between yourself and Mr. Price."

Rt. Hon. Said Musa
"His last words to me, I don't really recall. And I don't want to be melodramatic about it. But I do recall that recently, he said to me, 'We have to work harder to bring back our party.' My only hope now is to go to heaven. I say that as to say that Mr. Price saw death - and this was days before his death that I am talking about - he saw death as nature taking his course. He never feared death. In fact, almost in a sense, he realized that it was coming. He felt very troubled by the fact that he could not move around the way that he wanted to. He kept bringing up, 'When are we going to have this national tour again?' Yes, he wanted be able to do that, and I kind of frustrated him that he didn't have the kind of strength to do it."

Jules Vasquez
"What memory of price are you the most sentimental about. What memory do you treasure the most?"

Rt. Hon. Said Musa
"That he always called me Prime Minister, to this very day. To me, that - and of course, it wasn't unique to me, because if he met an ambassador, even when we are not in government now, he would call that person Ambassador. But when he addressed me as Prime Minister, he was saying, 'Listen, you are prime minister.' And that to me was a great moment to cherish."

You can see part two of that interview tomorrow when we'll ask Mr. Musa is his embrace of neo-liberalism betrayed Price's ideals of a mixed economy and social justice...

Channel 7

Musa On Price Part 2

And it is impossible to discuss Price without discussing the man who inherited his legacy, Said Musa. He took up the Party's Leadership in 1996 after Price stepped down.

Now Musa is not the sainted figure that Price is - and there are those who might say that he betrayed Price's vision of a mixed economy by embracing neoliberalism.

Yesterday Musa discussed Price's creedo and his loyalty to it:..

Hon. Said Musa
"To speak of his philosophy if you may call it that, it was neither capitalist nor socialist, he was not a communist, we all know that, although his life style might have lent many people to believe that he lived the life of a true communist, but he was not. Mr. Price's outlook in life I believe, from my years studying at his feet, was somebody who studied very closely the Papal Encyclicals."

Jules Vasquez
"You have been characterized as pursuing neo liberalism, and do you feel then that you betrayed Mr. Price's or you did not live up, you pursued another path than what Mr. Price may have espouse you, which was a far more conservative mix economy?"

Hon. Said Musa
"As a famous economist John Maynard Keynes once said when the circumstances change dont you? And I believe that, not trying to vindicate may self but I certainly don't feel that I betrayed Mr. Price's vision for more just society. We were dealing with different times, times had changed, and we were dealing with different issues. but yes and the world had changed you know, the whole economic system, the global system had change significantly from the early days when Mr. Price was starting out the revolution, and you know it would have been difficult I believe to move confronting what you called neo liberalism in a confrontational way. We had to find a way to continue to attract investment to this country because Belize needs foreign investment. We had to continue to understand that to fight poverty you have to create wealth. Now, I would be the first to admit that we fell short of bridging the gap between the rich and the poor and in fact it has gotten worse over the years, the growing poverty in our country. And a lot of this had to do with growing income in inequality, so that's the weakness of the neo liberal system, that it does not address this issue in any satisfactory manner. The Capitalist system works in terms of creating wealth but the trouble is to create wealth particularly for those at the top."

Jules Vasquez
"Without the implicit perhaps explicit support of Mr. Price would you still have been party leader?"

Hon. Said Musa
"I don't think it would be fair for me to answer that, let me just say from my perspective I felt that quietly and secretly I felt he supported me, but Mr. Price was scrupulous in his evenhandedness when it came to his leadership contest. He never voice any support for either myself or the Honorable Florencio Marin, before or on the day itself. In fact an interesting thing happened on that day he castigated my supporters right at the convention for putting up a banner at the entrance to Belmopan saying Price supports Musa or some words to that effect, again, because he wanted to maintain that scrupulous evenhandedness, to ensure that the party faithful decide for themself who they want as leader. Whether he himself voted for me? I felt so, but I mean that is not the question right?"

Jules Vasquez
"But looking at it I don't see how one would have been, would have ascended to the post of party leader without some sort of nod from Mr. Price absolutely he never gave any public but he must have?"

Hon. Said Musa
"Well let's put it this way, he didn't discouraged me."

Jules Vasquez
"Now but, and that brings me to my next question. Do you feel, was he misused in his final years? We know that he came out and supported Francis Fonseca, and I remember as well, I support Fonseca and I think he was also upset about that one at the time he was already 89. But do you think that he was used and misused for political games extraneous to him in his last era of his life?"

Hon. Said Musa
"No, I think he genuinely felt that, he wanted to support Francis and he made it known by that time. We were in opposition as we were in 96 but Mr. Price decided that on his own man, nobody could persuade Mr. Price he didn't want to do, that is the bottom line."

Jules Vasquez
"However, but I thought that you said, that he felt that he had to approach leadership conventions with evenhandedness?"

Hon. Said Musa
"Yes, I did say that, and but he changed like all of us do at times, by 2008 and he did support Francis."

Jules Vasquez
"When he lost in 1984, that had to be - obviously that PUP was annihilated at the polls, but he personally was beaten by a complete new comer Derek Aikman. It would leave any average person devastated for years - lost the elections the first post-independence elections and then lost your seat. How did he take that?"

Hon. Said Musa
"No bitterness, in fact the very next day Mr. Price was out of his house on Pickstock Street and he went to Independence Hall and he went to The Belize Times and asked what he can do to help at the Belize Times. I mean that was the quality of the man, that he could take a defeat."

Channel 7

Former Prime Minister recollects lessons from Price

George Price

The nation will watch as the body of the Father of the Nation is paraded through the streets of the city that he forged into the country we love. The mystique of Price lives on; while he was the most known public figure, his private life was closely guarded. There were so many experiences that have been documented, but the man who succeeded him as the Leader of the P.U.P. and former prime minister, Said Musa spoke to News Five about the lessons that every young person should learn from Price.

Said Musa, Former Prime Minister

Said Musa

"He was also a very complicated man, a well read man of deep intelligence. And I speak of his originality because; yes he was a man of few words in many respects. I always said an economy of words, clarity of thought and language. In other words, every word he used, there was a deep meaning behind it and that is what distinguishes a great intellect. So you need to contrast this simple lifestyle with the intellect of the man. He had that blue Land Rover throughout his life as a premier and a prime minister. You might ask why a Land Rover, well for obvious reasons because he had to traverse very difficult terrain. Mister Price was a pioneer-he was opening up roads himself, physically. That's an interesting thought that you are bringing up here because this man was a leader by example. He led by example. He didn't lecture people. He would show them this is the way you should do it and he himself would do it so we had to follow his example and that Land Rover traversed this country almost on a daily basis. Another interesting thing about it is that he would stop for everybody on the roadside if he could give them a lift. And people remember that. They also remember that here is this leader of a country walking from home to work and picking up litter as he went along. He had a thing about cleanliness and the environment and those are the things you must remember as part of the legacy of George Price. Not just the fact that he is the father of the nation-although that is the greatest fact that we have to honor-but also the little things that he kept reminding us about by his example. The image that will stand out is whenever you look at a photograph of George Price with intensity, you see the penetrating eyes-the charisma is obvious. When Mister Price walks into a room, it lights up; he radiates. What I would want our young people to know and remember is one of the things he said. One of the things he said was that knowledge is not the only thing that drives us to action. It is the desire, the will to serve. He always emphasized service, helping his fellow human beings. That to me is the model, if you like; that I believe young Belizeans should always strive for-and indeed party members and leaders in the party–service to the people. That was Mister Price's strongest message, as far as I am concerned and I can tell you I considered him not only a friend and my leader; or leader emeritus, but indeed my mentor. I studied at his feet. And those are the things that I would want to believe I tried my best in life when I was there as well to try and emulate."

Jose Sanchez

"Will there or can there be another George Price?"

Said Musa

"Never. Never. There can never be another George Price. I started out by telling you this was an original, a unique person that not only Belizeans recognized but I think the world."

Channel 5

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Where Should A Hero's Final Resting Place Be?

Where will National Hero George Price be buried? As we've reported the plan is all set for him to be interred at the Lord's Ridge cemetery in the Price family plot. Those were his wishes - and a fair portion of the family, including his sisters, say those wishes must be respected.

But one family member is speaking out against it: Betty Usher Zabaneh, former Speaker of the House and George Price's niece told us today that the plan is not practical because of the stature of the man. She says he may have indicated that he wants to be buried where his ancestors are, but that is no longer practical.

She told us, quote: "Uncle George belongs to the nation and the people of Belize - he was married to his country and the Belizean people are his family...he needs to go to a place where his family can greet him." Close quote.

And that place, she says, is not Lord's Ridge; it's the George Price Center in Belmopan. She says quote, "To lay his remains at Lord Ridge, to me, is a desecration; he does not belong there."

She pointed out that for those - including students - who want to visit his grave, Lord Ridge is unsuitable, and such visits could be much more easily made at the George Price Center.

And while that is what the Price-Ushers want, as we said, a fair portion of the family is opposed to it - and they have made their decision. John Waight, the family spokesperson told us that Price quote, "made it very clear where he wanted to be buried, (and while there can be) all kinds of philosophies, his wishes are his wishes." End quote.

And so, according to Waight, it is final, he will be interred at Lord's Ridge on Monday.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

A Look Back At Price's 90th...

And for another look at Price tonight we go into our archives, back to 2009 when the father of the nation turned 90 and his life and work were celebrated at the George Price Center in Belmopan.

At the time, Jacqueline Godwin spoke to Price, still energized and talking about "continuing the fight" - here's her report from January 15, 2009...

Jacqueline Godwin Reporting,
George Price once told a reporter from the Miami Herald and I quote "I would like to be known as a good Belizean, one who went through life on a pilgrimage and left the world a better place than I found it." And what a journey it has been for this political icon who led the way for Belize attaining her independence on September twenty first, 1981. Today George Cadle Price turned ninety years old. The occasion was celebrated in Belmopan at the George Price Centre for Peace and Development.

Elsie Alpuche, Curator - George Price Centre
"We want to show people the man behind the politician. We have some chronological and historical background but what we want really to achieve is for people to get to know Mr. Price better; what he believed in, what his values were, what he wanted in life for him and for Belize."

Jacqueline Godwin,
Today he celebrates his 90th birthday?

Hector Silva, Friend/Former Gov't Minister
"His 90th birthday but he is looking so good for 90 having been through so much troubles, hardships, sometimes he didn't use to eat, at times he said to let's go and do our job first and then we eat. He is great, a great man."

George Cadle Price was born on January fifteenth, 1919. Twenty five years later he embarked on his political career. But those who are close to him strongly believe that what had also made him a great leader started first at home.

Hector Silva,
"Let us begin with home. Very good home training, his dad was a disciplinarian, having been in the military, as a major in West Indian Regiment. His mommy was a loving lady that took care of her children. Then from there George got the background of the Jesuits which in those days was very solid and then of course his stint with religion. But I think that George began to mold himself as a leader when he entered politics in 1944 which he called as the university of the people."

Jacqueline Godwin,
Throughout his travels in Belize, he took hundreds of hundreds of notes of every little thing he saw that may have been needed in that place he visited.

Hector Silva,
"That's right, he was a great communicator and the method he used to communicate was to hear from the people, especially those in need, and to pass it on as a medium to where it should be solved and we used to be bombarded with his letters on any little subject, even if it was a light bulb in Corozal that is out, he will come 'Minister, see that that bulb is changed in Corozal,' or a little culvert in a village where water settled, 'Minister see that a culvert is placed in the entrance to Sartenja,' and he had such a tremendous memory which he still has I believe."

George Price, Turns 90 years old
"When I was travelling the important people were the people themselves and talking to them, seeing their homes, if they have enough to eat, if they are well, all these things used to register. It was not just a social event."

Jacqueline Godwin,
It looks like a lot of work and research went into getting together the material needed for this exhibit. When did all of this started?

Elsie Alpuche,
"Well actually in 2007, late 2007, so the past year, 2008, I've been doing research mostly at the Archives Department and we have researched everything that is available on Mr. Price whether that was pictures, audio, audio visual, everything we have now at the center and parts of it we used in this exhibit."

Hector Silva,
"You have three types of leaders: ones that are made, the products of necessity, and you have the born leaders. He is one of those born leaders and I hope those around him take good care of him, don't strain him, don't overwork him, he has done his job. Let's take care of that jewel that we still have."

Today George Cadle Price remains a humble man, who only has best wishes for Belize and Belizeans. One of those wishes is that we can all work together for the betterment of the country.

Jacqueline Godwin,
Happy birthday to you, you're looking very good by the way.

George Price,
"Thank you very much. An occasion like this gives you courage and puts on you the spirit to continue the fight."

The statements of condolence continue to pour in and we'll have more of them posted tonight on 7newsbelize.com...

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Leader of the Opposition's words of Price resonate

John Brice�o

While Barrow gave a breakdown of projects that are either planned or in progress, the Leader of the Opposition took his time at the podium as a reflection on the nation that George Price envisioned. Brice�o spoke of nationality and nationhood while quoting a youthful Price at the onset of the birth of a nation.

John Brice�o, Leader of the Opposition

"On that historic day thirty years ago right here in our nation's capital, our first prime minister the Honorable George Price said and I quote. "This symbolic transition to the independent state of Belize signifies the fulfillment of a decolonization which as a metropolitan country and founding member of the United Nations, the United Kingdom undertook to accomplish under the charter. Belize was the last British colony on the Central American mainland and the transition deserves the admiration and the support of all peaceful, freedom-loving nations. At our request and with our gratitude, the military presence of the United Kingdom will remain here for an appropriate time to be decided according to future circumstances-no longer as a colonial power, but as a welcomed partner. The United Kingdom has agreed to help us preserve and promote peace and well-being in our region. We continue our work-not only to build Belize to get greater levels of economic growth and social progress, but in doing so to remove causes of conflict and to corporate in the economic development of the region with all our neighbors in friendship, harmony and peace. As we become a member of the world committees, we hear the questions asked what is Belize and it's people and how will they fit among you? In reply; Belize is a Caribbean and Central American nation which works and lives in revolution that is peaceful, constructive, new, progressive and Belizean." This was George Price's vision; this was the legacy he left us-the vision of a new and prosperous nation. In many ways, this vision remains in partial fulfillment. The next part is ours to achieve. Our generation must place our nation on the path to economic equality and sustainability. Always remember that in every Belizean is a resilient spirit-we never quit, we never give up. We always believe that there will be a better tomorrow. We know that when we work hard, do what is right and protect and respect each other; that we prosper. Our very anthem proclaims it so; for freedom comes tomorrow's noon. Therefore, arise ye sons and daughters of Belize and let us do right by George Price to continue the work of building our beloved Belize. God bless us all and God bless Belize."

Channel 5

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 134 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,044
Members20,484
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.