Checker, just a thought, if you would fill in your profile, to give us a clue about you, we could better answer your questions.

I have not been personally invited to a locals home to eat or sleep, but that does not surprise me, they have been busy working all day to make we tourist comfortable, when they go home they want to be with their families. It seems most locals on Ambergris
are involved one way or another serving the tourist, and that is how they earn their livelyhood. I have met many locals and shared good conversations with them, and used their services, even met their children.
My way of showing appreciation is to tip them more, and with that money they can provide for the family. I don't really think passing out candy is enough. But that is my opinion only.
As far as a clinic it would not just be for the tourist, it will serve the whole island.
The hospital is under construction, but in need of more funding is my understanding.
I do keep in mind, I am visiting a third world country, and not going to tell them how to live their lives. They seem very happy, and relaxed.

Dare To Deviate