We just arrived back in Canada from our third trip to Caye Caulker. We had a great time for two weeks BUT our SCUBA stuff was stolen from outside on our second night (behind a barbed wire fence that was locked). It was disappointing - we tried not to let it ruin our trip but felt as though from the conversations we had while we were there and the radio reports we heard that the crime rate has gone up. In all fairness it may not be a local that is responsible - apparently some people come on boats - steal and then leave before the sun rises.... this is really too bad. We have been to Caye Caulker and LOVED it in the past - our experience, although wonderful was tainted this time with the theft, increases in prices (for groceries, meals out, etc) and increase in cars and trucks in the streets. I will cherish the memories we have from Caye Caulker but feel as though I will choose somewhere else to visit next time.
I hope the locals in Caye Caulker will continue to take pride in their BEAUTIFUL island and will do everything to keep the beauty and allow the tourists to have a great and safe experience.