Elbert
Where's your sense of humor that I so enjoy? Mr. O.C. Sabal did not go to the Chamber of Commerce and make his report (I think someone else reported on his report). He called a special meeting at the Palapa Bar for Wednesday night at 6:30 and all residents of north Ambergris Caye were invited to attend. I know as I put out a notice on the North Ambergris Caye Neighborhood Watch message board the day before. I may be mistaken but I thought you were a member and got the notices. It was hard to tell but there were at least 40 people in attendance. O.C. Sabal was clear when he gave his statistics "Reported Crimes."
We all know there is a big difference between the number of crimes committed and the number reported. WHY? I've heard too many people say they don't want the cops coming to their place - - - for whatever reason. I have been branded as a "Cop Caller." For some reason people think that is a bad thing to be. Yes, I call the police and report what ever needs to be reported. Yes, the police do respond when I call. Yes, the police have increased their patrols of the north. Yes, they do stop by my place and ask if everything is OK. Yes, O. C. Sabal has taken dinner with me at my place. All of this makes me feel safe.
I do not now, nor have I ever smoked ganja. However, I also believe it should be decriminalized. Therefore I would never report anyone for having possession - except on my property. I am very clear that you are not to come on my property with ANY drugs. My dog will sniff you out!
Just my opinion, but it seems to me that people do not report MAJOR crimes because they are afraid of being caught for a minor crime.
Our neighborhood watch has a telephone network whereby we notify our neighbors when anything suspicious is going on. Some of us lend our golf carts to the police when they need them to respond to a report. The Island Ferry will take officers anyplace along the beach when called to do so.
One of our members has taken the time to do GPS readings and anyone who pays the paltry sum of $50 BZ annual membership dues can have their location recorded. These are being provided to the police along with a GPS device that was donated.
If there is anything more that can be done please let us know. YEAH - I know those of us in Tres Cocos and El Tosero are not REALLY north! It's kinda like people who say San Francisco is not northern California. Don't tell that to a San Franciscan!

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles