Dane writes: "We are surrounded by empty islands that we visit by windsurf. How far is too far ?"
Thanx for the reply Dane,
I just got my book by Moon publishing (via Amazon) "Belize Cayes" and have been doing more research on the cayes so I don't pester members too much in this forum.

Dane, in response to your question "how far is too far?"
I've been kayaking for several years - all recreational and rather easy paddling. I'm in my late 40's and not particularly muscular but I can paddle against 10-20 mph headwinds for a couple hours if my life depended on it. We were curious to know if maybe we need to anticipate long-haul paddling to get to nearby isles (might need to hit the gym more?!?!).
I've seen pic's (internet) of these isolated (deserted) isles of palm and sand amongst the reef systems and am curious about the physical demands necessitated to paddle out to them. I feel confidant we'll be able to handle paddling out to the nearest reef from CC, but are there isles nearby (near CC's reef) that we can paddle to, lunch, and snorkel from?, or do most kayaking-snorkelers just snorkel from a floating kayak?.
I understand, from research, that one can hire a boat to transport to a caye (or atoll)where kayak's are rented, but we want to rent from Caye Caulker and do all of our kayak-snorkeling from one location (business). I wonder just how far Chapel caye is from CC relative to the paddle to the reef from CC(?). I can't get any realistic idea from the guidebook maps. Are there closer isles (or cayes) than Chapel to CC?. Has anyone reading this post run across a string on this forum sharing kayak-snorkeling experiences and info.?
Thanx for your patience,I'll buy you a beer if we ever meet in CC smile

Last edited by Jeraldo; 01/05/10 04:47 AM.