She felt safe for the first time, and battered down by exhaustion, internal injuries and near starvation... she could not help but close her eyes and hope this was all just a bad dream.

Roni Martinez has a touching story, that was timed perfectly with the opening of the Belize Wildlife Referral Clinic. They got a call about a captive Spider monkey that was abused, and near death. After the ceremony, the monkey was confiscated, and Roni was there to document it.

"The Human race; A species capable of great compassion, and great destruction. I had always seen wildlife medicine from a different angle, not knowing what ALL it entails. Not fully understanding the hardships and setbacks, or the expense and the complications. After the inauguration of the BWRC on Friday October 19th, I had the life changing experience of living a day with Belize's TOP wildlife vets. This, changed forever the way I look at wildlife medicine."

On the brink of starvation, she was first fed... and ate fruits like she had never seen food in her short life.

LINK : each photo has a description, the story is in those descriptions....