I agree it's not from cruise ships. Oh, maybe a little, but these are big, successful, profitable international companies that don't want to lose their shipping and port privileges, or to get more bad PR, when there are other ways to contain and dispose of trash and garbage.

Some of the beach trash that is all over the coast and cayes of Belize from north to south may come from Belize, but I suspect most of it comes from other countries in Central America and from Mexico and for that matter from all over the world. There are huge masses of garbage and plastic in oceans all over the world -- for example Google the Great Pacific Garbage Patch -- that are moved by ocean currents.

Most tourists of course don't care where the garbage comes from. All they want is to see clean, beautiful beaches and seashore.

It's not a problem just for Caulker or Ambergris. For years and years the #1 complaint by visitors in Hopkins and Placencia has been the garbage on the beaches.

For as long as I've been traveling in Belize, almost 25 years, long before the cruise ships started coming to Belize, the beaches at hotels and most private homes in Belize were kept clean but vacant lots or anywhere on the shore not constantly policed and cleaned up was full of garbage and debris washed ashore.