I was thinking the other day on how safe would these speed bumps be without some street lighting. I know several carts have been rolled over by tourist on the "old" unpaved road. I could never figure out just how they managed that but I've seen two of the carts with my own eyes. Now after a few drinks they can really get their speed up for the speed bump that they will not be able to see at night.

I love the road but we have some problems here now that are going to have to be solved soon.

On a side note almost all of the workers are now using the paved road for their commute but there are a few who enjoy tearing up the beach on their bikes going as fast as they can go. On the places where the path is narrow this is real dangerous. I witnessed a near disaster early this morning pitting a full sized worker on his bike against an older tourist gentlemen on foot. He actually brushed against the older guy and then yelled at him to get out of the way. The pedestrian weighing in at 150 and the bike and rider at near double total weight plus the speed, it would have been serious. Thankfully these guys are in the minority and most are courteous and ride with reasonable caution.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize