Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#208841 02/02/03 08:40 PM
Pedro is right about this as far a I can see. MR, American Style to me is just a lifestyle elsewhere which is comparable to the one I live here in the US. I think Pedro broke it down as far as lifestyle differences may go. Overall, no matter what type of lifestyle one may choose to live in SP, it doesn't matter all that much as far as the community is involved. Everyone is valued for what they bring to the community, be it jobs, spending money on local goods and services, charm, or good jokes. :p

#208842 02/03/03 10:36 AM
T
T
I think the single biggest difference between the Belizean and American lifestyle is the Bar Tab!
The Bar Tab makes up about 2/3 of the monthly spending money to live on Ambergris Caye. I swear I am not going to drink premium ever again!

#208843 02/03/03 12:09 PM
Thank you Pedro...actually a bunch of us still go to each other's houses over here in the states and party lol. That is just one of things that never changes I haven't been back to Belize in some 30 years, so it's interesting to hear how things remain the same. From the information, I gather that a student is really up the creek if they need to work in order to eat and have a roof. I can't blame the locals, the jobs should go to them first.
On another note...foreign students used to board with the locals, who welcomed the extra cash. Is that a possibility? If one is willing to live the more simple island style...wouldn't that work?

Love is a many splendid thing and food runs a close second.
#208844 02/03/03 01:19 PM
As for all this talk of San Pedranos... one bit or relevant info here....

If you want to know who the San Pedranos are, pick up a phone book from say 1989 or older and look at the last names. You should find that almost all of N is Nunez, G = Guerrero and Gonzalez, etc. Then compare it to today's phone book. Back then about a dozen surnames made up 90% of the San Pedro Pages.

If your surname is not in the 'old' phone book, you are not welcomed into their bosoms either. Never mind where you were born.

I say all this because if your San Pedrano family did not already have a house back then you are in the same boat when it comes to paying rent be you gringo, mainland Belizean or Guate/Salva/Hondu.

Your rent will be @40Bz per week and up for a plywood room (10x10) with dodgy wiring and even dodgier shared plumbing from a slumlord. Those who have to rent from these lords are those who take the service jobs. (now go factor in what $3bz/hr + tips can get you) I don't know what a safe, clean place costs these days on AC but I would hazard a guess at minimum $250 Bz a week. Anybody want to update me?

Oh, alot of San Pedranos don't pay rent either because they live at home until and many times even after they marry.

#208845 02/03/03 03:44 PM
T
T
For the record, Belize is an ENGLISH speaking country

#208846 02/03/03 03:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Let me throw in my two cents worth here too.
My house with Butch is VERY SMALL compared to average in the US, and it costs us approx $500 a month BZ, just for the essentials (ok, I include cable and phone as essentials). We have AC's, but only use them during the hottest times, which running them just at night adds about $250 BZ a month. Luckily, we paid cash for the house, so we have no payment or rent. Golf carts and their upkeep is VERY expensive. Just had to replace the batteries to the tune of about 850. I think that food and beverage costs are very expensive... unless you eat like the Belizeans. That means no Doritos (8.50 bag), and no olive oil!
One thing I would like to say about Belizean employees (we have approx 15), they are extremely polite when needed, they smile much more than their US counterparts, and they are part of the Belize Experience to our guests. But we have just recently fired 4 employees for acts of theft, not performing the minimal duties required, and total insubordination to their supervisors-who are also Belizean. There is a Belize way to do things and Belize time. If you can fit into their mold, then you will be a good employer there. Would I hire Gringo's if it was possible?? In some cases YES. But I certainly would NOT want the Westin- Atlanta staff down there. They wouldn't give our guests the same feeling that Butch and I got on our first Belize experience. And that is certainly what will keep our Island going!!

#208847 02/03/03 05:29 PM
I can think of two foreign owned resorts in Belize - from personal experience - who have kept many of their staff for very long times - in excess of 10 years.

I have also seen a few who keep them for very short periods of time.

In my very unscientific, subjective but intelligent and sensitive to the human condition way, I have concluded that cultural awareness and appreciation will determine which will happen.

A bit of reflection is a good thing regardless of which category your business falls in.

#208848 02/03/03 06:04 PM
Travelin' Man, Belize is also a Spanish, Creole, Garifuna, Mayan, Chinese, Lebanese, etc. speaking country. That's a fact.

#208849 02/04/03 10:30 PM
Oh please! Belize is firstly an English speaking country with Spanish as a second language.The rest do not count if they did in the U.S. you would have over a 150 languages- get real

#208850 02/11/03 10:14 PM
I have to agree with Pedro on that one...we learned the kings english in school...with spanish being an extra credit.

Love is a many splendid thing and food runs a close second.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 116 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.