Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#216765 11/01/02 10:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
A friend of mine in Caye Caulker recently emailed saying that the last day for the Mayor of Caye Caulker was today (Friday!). Is this true? Is he resigning for reasons of Political Pressure or on his own will? Who will be his successor? Can anybody answer my questions?
BTW, its raining in Miami write now!

#216766 11/02/02 04:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Publish your E mail and you might get more answers. Some folks steer away fron questions like this.

#216767 11/08/02 11:11 AM
R
R
Who is the next Chairman? What happens in situations like this?
Allie

#216768 11/08/02 01:42 PM
N
N
Allie,
The vice-chairperson takes over on a pro-temp basis until an election can be called for the election of a chairperson since the law says that he has to be directly elected by the people. It should be no less than 20 days from the resignation but no more than 60 days.

none
#216769 11/09/02 12:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Anyone stepping to take this largely thankless job? They will need to work 50+ hours a week for less than US$50 a week, except during emergencies when it is more like 100 hrs a week.
For those not on CC: Fermin made a living at it. Since this doesn't seem possible most villagers figure he must have worked some angles.
How about you Ilna? You were one of the best chairpersons we had and are still out there defending the village in other venues.

#216770 11/11/02 10:25 AM
N
N
Keycocker, Fermin made it seem that way. I have a friend that runs the next island, San Pedro,just a notch below the Mayor. Actually he is the legal representative for the San Pedro Town Council since the Mayor is the political representative. He delegates and things get done. Fermin kept all the committees to himself and half the time his COuncilors did not know what was happening on Caye Caulker. To compound matters he got involved at the national level with the Area Representative, his job was not to do her job.
In his resignation he stated that he would be working with her and laise with the Village Council. In other words he would be in charge of her projects on Caye Caulker. The Villagers do not have a problem with that concept provided that some accountability and transparency is given; something that Fermin was never able to give to his people. This makes me believe the saying that "Politicians do not have careers, they have terms of office."

none
#216771 11/11/02 11:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
The thoughtful post above is absolutely correct. Note for non-Belizians: The word "Area Representive" is about the same as "Congresswoman" in the US.
Bringing accountability and transparency to the Village Council will be a new thing on Caye Caulker. There has hardly been enough money to account for in the past.
Most businesses still use the fisherman method of accounting. (You check your balance by pulling out the money and counting what is left while leaving the bar.)
Keeping good books is extra work and the Village Council is a volunteer group taking time off from their jobs.
Most Village Councils in the past consisted of a core of 1 to 3 folks who did everything while the rest stayed blissfully in the dark.
The present Council is different. They really wished to participate but Fermin found it easier to keep to the old ways.The emergency help during Mitch and Keith and the close relations between Fermin and the Area Rep has brought unprecedented funding to the island government.
Paid Gov't employees like San Pedro has would help a lot. Beto comes to mind right away.

#216772 11/11/02 03:38 PM
N
N
Keycocker,
I do agree with your above point but the fact remains that Caye Caulker is not the sleepy little village it once was. If you do know, only in property taxes the island generates a substantial amount of money which merit that books must be kept. This does not include liqour licenses (another amount), trade licenses, and a host of other fees the council is entitled to collect. This is the first item that the Ministry of Local Goverment looks at to determine if a place like Caye Caulker deserves municipal status, i.e., township. Caye Caulker has the potential for this status but no Council has ever bothered to look at this. We have enough to have a small fulltime work force that can keep our streets, beaches, etc. clean as well as some monies left over for capital projects. Only if self sufficiency is attained can we start investing in other capital (infrastructure) projects.
The Area Representative did increase the level of funding for Caye Caulker and she should get credit where it is due. She has, however, not provided what her constituents were asking for, i.e. accountability and may have even jeoprodized her career. If Fermin is to work with her to oversee her projects then why have a village council? This will only cause the new chairperson elect to lock horns with them. She was the one that activily campaigned for Fermin - A race he narrowly won. Now he has resigned and have left the electorate up in arms.Maybe she should have stayed out of the race and endorsed whoever won. But again it comes down to that Patty & Fermin must get what Patty & Fermin wants.

none
#216773 11/11/02 09:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Your point is well taken. She did hire someone who supports her projects to.. uh ..support her projects. She is using an innovative blend of public and private funding for these. A past civil servant with political connections would seem ideal for managing the private part of it.
The election was the most interesting ever. The two sides were picking people up to drive them to the polls. We elected a great roster and then Fermin ignored them. Many of the opposition were disgruntled members of his own previous Council,annoyed because he had ignored them and wasted their talents. He promised to do better and then ignored the new Council as well.
There is a group of people who mainly wish for accountability but they hardly seem to be her supporters. This is as it should be. They are the honorable opposition. Most folks I have spoken with have big wish lists but care little for accountability because they aren't used to having it. They want tangible on-the-ground results. This was the secret of Fermin's success with the voters.
Getting the status of a town is the most important thing right now -as noted by NOH True.I first learned this from Fermin, in fact.We don't qualify for this because of our population numbers. We will likely never have enough people here so our only hope is for Government to grant a special dispensation for this status. This is something they never have done in Belize.

#216774 11/11/02 09:54 PM
T
T
Survival and sustainability must be our focus now. Let's learn from our mistakes. They cannot be taken back but our community can learn from them. This is a prime time to make accountability and transparency a reality in Caye Caulker. Let's get an audit - see where we are - determine what we must do now - and follow accordingly.

All the fussing and fighting might bring the wrongdoing to a head - might even make some folks be accountable for their "own agendas" - as should be. But we must also remember that Caye Caulker has to survive and truly come into its own. This island has so much to offer to both locals and tourists. All the backbiting and inter-fighting is non-productive, detrimental and damaging to all of us. We should be directing our energy to promoting the island - tourism, fishing, diving, snorkeling, and hanging out in a stress-free paradise. This is Caye Caulker -- a wonderful place for locals and tourists to come and have fun.

The local politics is spreading a nasty environment that is detrimental to all of us.

We must find a leader that can bring the community of Caye Caulker together and help heal us. Someone strong enough to stand up to political and peer pressure. Someone who loves this island for what it is - not just what can be raped from it. Does that person exist? Time will tell.

If not, we are lost and so is Caye Caulker.

#216775 11/12/02 12:16 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Well spoken.

#216776 11/12/02 10:36 AM
N
N
Keycocker, The political connections that Fermin has/had was because of his post. That I must agree on but anyone in public office can gain these connections. As I mentioned Beto does pretty much the same in San Pedro and he might have even more connections/influence than Fermin. He has not used this to his advantage.

Coming back to the elections of last year. I think that you have obviously not lived the grass roots that I have here in Caye Caulker. The people are ready for change. Fermin would not stand another chance of being relected since the last time around the Representative spent hordes of money to make sure he won and he did by just 18 votes. At that time the island was split right down the middle after all the votes were tallied each group got the same amount of 1,156 votes. It was only the spread that determined who got in and who did not. Just from being around them recently I know they would like to know where all the money went. This I can assure you.

In regards to municipal status for Caye Caulker, it is true that we do not have to population but we will get there someday but we need to be prepared for this. We have enough on Caye Caulker to make sure every person gets a little of the pie. We, as a community, need to decide if we will stay where we were 20 years ago or move forward. Forward for Hicaquenos might be hard. I think that they fail to realize what happens out there does affect us. They need to realize that we have to strike a balance between tourism/fishing and more important the people that have decided to make Caye Caulker there home, i.e. mainlanders, foreigners and the list goes on.
Hopefully as sunsrise said maybe somebody can make this happen. I only hope it is sooner than later.

none
#216777 11/12/02 11:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Unfortunately, the person to move this island forward is not Betito, notwithstanding his probably political connections or not. Betito is currently a councillor and was so under the chairmanship of Fermin. Never once, to this day, did we or have we heard anything from Betito or have we seen him stand up to Fermin or Patty on behalf of the island people. This, even though the rumors of financial impropriety have abounded since before Betito was elected as a councillor. In fact, he was elected especially on his political promise to create transparency and accountability, which he has not done. He has had more than a few months to prove his salt as a councillor and nary a peep. Inasmuch as I like him as a person, I don't think he posesses the internal fortitude to be a leader. He has too many prissy tendencies.

Add to that the incredibly short-sighted special interest group of businesses that are backing him, and electing Betito as chairman would be a sad mistake rife with battles and confrontations. ESPECIALLY since the special interest group in question has nothing but "greed" at the root of their schemeings.

I could name a few better choices who have proven much better at standing up for the local people, even if it meant bucking heads with Patty or Fermin, but will reserve those comments in the interest of this message board.

#216778 11/12/02 12:36 PM
B
B
Da Mee,
Just from your genre I can tell who you are and I promised myself that I would not get in a tit for tat with you but a response is necessary in this case. As prevously mentioned in my posting of months ago I did promise to take a stand on several issues and I have. Maybe you need to be in our closed meetings or visit the minutes of the council's meetings to see the anomisity that transpires between me (being one member of the council) and five (the other members of the council)whom you publicly stood up for on the rostrum and now you despise then. For you to say that I have not proven my salt is uncouth since you have not the least idea into what has been shot down whenever I propose something, in particular when it has to do with revenues of the village. As I publicly mentioned anyone is welcome to take a shot at the seat especially you. I did run on a campaign of transparency & accountability and with just me being in there this will never happen. It is something called a minority. I still thank the people of my island to their grand endorsement. Perhaps they have seen what I can do financially with the Water Taxi Association, Lobster Festival and the S.P.T.C. and now BTIA. From being bankrupt/on borderline to high liquidity or getting there. As for the Representative maybe you can answer why she is so hell bent on getting me out of several of the positions I hold. So, so much for you and the prissy statement.

For you to question whom I associate with and link it with their & my interests and take it politically is wrong. Maybe perhaps it was because you saw one of them as a free ticket to rendevouz. These people will always be my friends and just like how I have "locked horns" with Fermin and Patty, I have locked horns with them on many occassions/issues. I stand up for what I think is right not what you or they think is the appropriate thing to do. Oh by the way I do put my local people first.

It baffles me to see that you talk about "greed" and by gosh perhaps it is the very master that you serve. When was the last time you paid your property taxes? You realize that this contributes directly to the development of the island? Things that make you go hmm... If you talk about greed then perhaps you will question the very notion of why some of these people rent their homes out for a quick buck. The only thing left to rent out is the bodega.

Next time you write daa mee please suscribe your real name on it since it is the appropriate thing to do. One more thing, I would stand behind whomever you think is a better choice. We must make sure that it is someone that will not be pushed around when it comes to the big wigs in Belmopan. Perhaps even you can work with us on stiking a balance on our island instead of creating the heat in the kitchen and then getting out.

Keycocker sorry for the impassioned response but I have my name to defend. I hope I have not changed the nature of the discussion that was at hand.

P.S. Da Mee I had fry fish,stew beans & white rice last night for supper and that da true da no yere ih soh!

[This message has been edited by betito (edited 11-12-2002).]

#216779 11/12/02 03:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Hats off to you Betito for defending yourself eloquently. Da Mee didn't edit out your answer either though she has Administrator rights on this board.
She gets credit for that.
As to the issues. Doesn't it require 5000 residents to confer town status on a village? Betito might know. We now have about 1100 so our chances of reaching that number are slim in such a small place.
As Da Mee notes there is new group here who are interested in changing things to improve the profits but they say this will benefit all business here. I think that could be true but,frankly, I like the old ways with the families in charge.
I wasn't suggesting electing Betito. I think we should hire him. By all accounts his efforts are of great benefit to San Pedro. We could use some of those benefits over here..

#216780 11/12/02 03:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Passing the buck is always the easiest thing to do.

It is the easiest way to relieve oneself of the responsibility of conscience. Someone I know once said to me "people can always find excuses for their actions, but it is their motives that tell who they really are."

You are a councillor with equal access as any other member of the Village Council to all the financial information available at the Village Council office. Why is it that you have not yet, to this day, taken it upon yourself to gather the records together and present a true picture of the financial state of the Village Council to the villagers? You don't need any help to do so. You can do it yourself, if you are motivated enough. Are you?

No, instead, in your quest for political power (note the word POWER and not SERVICE), you have chosen instead to creep in hiding to your Belize City power lunch meetings (accompanied by your special interest buddies) disclosing to those you believe can help you in your quest to further your political ambitions by releasing backstabbing information about the very village council you are serving under. Not that it doesn't need to be said. Because I really believe the true picture does need to emerge sooner if not later. But, not a word to the island villagers who most need to know.

And your special liason with the special interest group of businesses (the MINORITY of businesses, I might add) is indeed a point of concern to many of us. Whether you can see it or not, it has indeed clouded your credibility and your motives in the eyes of many local people, many who voted for you in fact and have since lost faith in your motives, and who represent the majority of the island inhabitants. Whether it is so or not, to the rest of us watching, you have already been bought. Punto final!

If you wish, work your magic and try to convince me why you would make a good candidate. What would you do for the island? What is your vision for the island? Where do you think we should go? How will we get there?

...waiting curiously...

P.S. Regarding the property tax issue (a cheap shot, I might add) you are probably mistaking me for someone else. I owe no property taxes.

#216781 11/12/02 03:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Keycocker1:

What is the urgency in conferring town status to our village? I don't seem to see it. Are you saying that we will only be able to funcion properly as an entity if we become a town? Somehow I don't follow the logic. I have always been under the impression that it is the motives of those elected to power that count most on where the island heads.

There are many things that can be done even right now to improve the quality of lives for everyone, that does not require township. All it takes is motivation and a sincere desire to SERVE (not to be mistaken with holding POWER).

Right off hand, I can think of several inexpensive infrastructural projects that would greatly enhance the asthetics of the village. These are but a few:

1. The village council (if they were motivated enough) could solicit the help and finances of the Water Taxi Assn. (who would have the most to gain from this project) and build a nice embarkation / disembarkation point for water taxi passengers. All it would take would be a palapa at the tip of the main pier, and some benches, where people can rest in shade while they wait to take their boats. Wouldn't it also be nice to have signs directing these same passengers to the different loading areas for different boats (e.g. Boats to San Pedro, over here; boats to Belize City, over here, etc.)? The bottleneck at the pierhead every time there is a scheduled run is really ugly and haphazard.

2. Similarly, build a nice thatched shady area at the foot of the main pier where the cart porters can be shielded from the elements while they wait for customers. The same way the water taxis emerged successful due to their decision to band together, same can be done with the cart porters. Help them to form an association, line them up much like how the taxis at the int'l airport line up for customers, and let them take turns helping customers. You stand in line and wait your turn. Simple.

3. Mark out a parking bay on the left and right side of the main pier where other vehicles can park out of the way while passengers are unloading from the main pier.

4. Instead of bashing the street vendors in the head by trying to put them out of business, a business that is the chief livelihood for many women breadwinners, locate someplace where a flea-market type atmosphere can be set up, or even small 8x8 shops can be constructed, and ask them to move there. These people will then still be able to ply their trade, but it would be organized. These people work where they work because they have no other options. Give them better options that they currently have, and it will be better for all of us.

5. As keycocker has suggested previously, start and enourage a re-planting scheme, designed to convert CC into an island garden.

6. The Village Council could encourage tenders for twice-weekly garbage pick-up and nurture such a thing. This can be accomplished with nothing more than a tractor and trailer such as is currently being used by Bowen and Bowen. Instead of using the sometimes unreliable cart guys, scheduled pick-ups could foster better garbage management. Similarly, give the current garbage cart guys jobs as garbage handlers so they will not have to resort to illegal means of making an income.

7. Ban heavy motorized equipment from Front Street during the height of the tourist season (X-mas to Easter). Schedule them to run on the lower trafficked streets during those months instead. Nothing is uglier that a huge old dump truck barreling down front street while tourists scamper out of the way. That is not what they come here for.

8. Severly limit the importation of motorized vehicles on the island. These are nothing but eyesores. If one searches hard enough, especially on the internet, alternatives to motorized vehicles could be found for almost any type loading vehicle we need on the island.

Regarding major projects, or any projects for the matter, I believe the Village Council has a duty to discuss these with the villagers in public meetings which have been so very scarce these past several years.

Public meetings should be scheduled timely, with a published agenda before meetings, and a ballot paper prepared in advance where villagers can vote for or against the projects being tabled.

With any tabled matter, give a time frame, say ten minutes, and let people give their reasons why they are for or against a certain project. Once the ten minute limit is done, go on to the next tabled item and work your way down the agenda. At the end of the meeting, people will have printed ballots on which to vote for or against any projects, amendments, etc.

Once an item has been tabled and voted on, there should be a wait of one year before the same item can be tabled again.

Any councillor, or any villager, for that matter, should be able to table any matter of concern to them and have it voted on in the public meetings.

Impeccable financial records should be kept, and hard copies that can be adequately perused (not verbal announcements) should be handed out to every villager at these public meetings.

A little creativity and a little transparency goes a long way in fostering growth, education and communication for our villagers. Each of us (just like the current disgruntled councillors) believe we have something important to say to the benefit of the community. Give us a chance. The village council might be surprised at what they can learn by making councilling a team effort instead of a one man show. And in the end, it is the will of the people that will rule. Where is the losing in that?

I believe that the first council to implement such a method of discussion and participation will win again and again and again...

#216782 11/12/02 04:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I note that in the past personal attacks were generally filtered out on this board.

#216783 11/12/02 05:27 PM
B
B
Da mee, I think this board was never the place to discuss this, however I feel that since it was here and you have asked me to respond I will. You know where I live on Caye Caulker please stop by and we can debate your thoughts for countless hours. Provided that I am not delivering bread. (1) The village council has never had any books as keycocker said. I made an attempt to do this and it was shot down. To date I am still trying to figure out who owes what and who owns what. How can I report to the village if I do not even know how much money is made? Perhaps you can assist in this endeavour.

(2) My motives have been what they have always been, i.e. putting the island of caye caulker first yet maintaining it for our children and their children. I will never stop reiterating that this is where my heart is. I came back from the so called land of plenty, i.e. "The United States", to live here and have no intentions of leaving. It is the only flag I carry.

(3)Whatever power you say I have was entrusted to me! I think the record speaks here in San Pedro as I also only have the best interest in San Pedro at heart. I am still trying to figure out what high powered lunch I have had if any, since I do not think BTIA is of that effect.

(3)Your thought about releasing information from the village council and saying that it is backstabbing does not go over well. You would like for me to tell the affairs of the island, primarily the financial aspect, to the people who elected me but yet I should not speak about it to the people? Public Information! Isn't that running around in circles?

(4) The Minority of businesses i.e., I assume your are talking about the Business Association. I am not even a member of this organization and if it has clouded my credibility and motives in the eyes of the local people who represent the majority perhaps it is because of misconceptions being spread about. Do I not have a right to choose who my friends are? Even if they belong to this association. Keep on watching because I know where my mind and my heart is and it is with Caye Caulker. Let me rephrase that- it is with the "sustainable development of Caye Caulker so that generations of hicaquenos(and people who choose to make our island their home)prosper while striking a balance between tourism and fishing "

(5) I cannot be bought since money does not have a value to me unless it is earned by me in an uncontaminated manner. Sorry Da Mee but this is one thing that I have been grateful for from my parents. They thought me the value of hard work even if it meant scrubbing the bakery floor every sunday for eight years so I would get my week's allowance. The easy road was it not always the best method for me.

(6) The very idea of you questioning my vision for the island, I never thought of but the quote in point 4 about sustainable growth is where I stand. As I have repeatedly said what is wrong with us have street cleaners and beach workers and making the place more attractive for tourists on a whole. I have learned that nothing is impossible if it is thought/planned out well.
In regards to township status as per your comment to Keycocker it means that government allots more moneys to that municipality for greater capital/infrastruture and recurrent expenditures. I do suscribe to most of your points mentioned to him in your response.

(7)Finally we have become engaged in a fire with fire scenario. Keycocker and Noh True! were engaging in constructive criticism of the island. I was dragged into this and that is where you questioned my character. Your points have been taken into consideration but yet I feel that you have launched a personal attack against me. I hope I have not done you wrong in person since this is what I gather from your writings. I have asked that perhaps you can reveal your identity so we too can converse our ideas productively in person. In truth I hope that this can materialize.

P.S. I hope this suffices your curiosity as to where I stand if not call me or drop by.

#216784 11/12/02 05:45 PM
B
B
keycocker, A special leave can be given to key the island for township status in that a host of issues are looked at in order to determine this status. Population is just one of many. The big question is how much municipal issues does an island like Caye Caulker have to be considered for township status? If the list goes on it may be granted by the Minister of Local Government.

#216785 11/12/02 07:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Hooray!

#216786 11/13/02 07:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Betito:

You blow a lot of wonderful hot air and I guess you believe that because it makes sense to you, that it makes sense to the rest of us.

Chairman Marin resigned on Nov. 1. It has been twelve days since the acting chairman took over.

1. What is your excuse for the delay now why this new council has not yet compiled an accurate record of the state of the village's finances? Fermin is blocking it? No one has thought of it, duh? You don't have the time?

2. Why has there not been a public meeting to formally announce to villagers that Chairman Marin has resigned, and what can be expected in the immediate future?

3. When are we the villagers going to be made aware of current projects left unfinished by Fermin, and any projected completion dates for these projects?

4. Who is in charge of the Bahia Puesta del Sol subdivision now?

5. Who do you believe should be held accountable should an independent audit reveal missing village funds? The entire village council for not having the cohones to do what is right? Are you going to be a leader and even demand that such an audit be done immediately?

6. Could you please explain to me why you led a village council / business association coalition to forcefully eradicate the small street vendors thereby effectively prohibiting them from their ability to earn a living, and how this would be in the best interest of the island? Can you please confirm to me that this was not done because of the special-interest lobby backing you? What are your views on street vending?

As I have said before, it is very easy to find excuses. The fact of the matter is that the most educated councillors are probably the least motivated, unless there is some "fame" or "power" that comes with addressing an issue.

I find it downright idiotic, if not moronic, that six councillors could not stand up to Fermin and demand accountability. If you believe that you are in the minority the past two years you have been on the council, what makes you think anything will be different if/when you become chairman? Do you believe the rest of the council members will automatically then bow down and agree to every one of your wishes?

The time to be a leader is BEFORE you are elected as leader. A leader is the person who has the internal strength to stand up against Goliath on behalf of what's right, simply because what's right is right.

Regarding your view for the future of Caye Caulker, I regret that you did not answer the question pointedly, but I do understand that that type of response is characteristic of a true politician (not to be confused with LEADER). I will repeat the question here for you in case you missed it previously:

"If you wish, work your magic and try to convince me why you would make a good candidate. What would you do for the island? What is your vision for the island? Where do you think we should go? How will we get there?

...waiting curiously..."

Go ahead, I dare you, list point by point your vision for Caye Caulker, where it should head, and how we will get there. Go ahead, Betito. Take the heat and list your views for the island. Don't blow the question off with hot air rhetoric.

I am still waiting...

#216787 11/13/02 08:36 PM
B
B
Da mee,
As I stated in my point in the begining and the end of my last post that I believe the discussion being held before your contribution was constructive criticism. You have taken it to the political level and I am not a career politician as you wish to make it sound. I have categorically stated that you know where I live and how to get a hold of me. Perhaps you can ask your questions in a village forum. The idea of a debate just enthuses me. I would be more than willing to share my points of view and perhaps you as well in this debate. From the mere fact that you have expressed these views I am sure you would be more than happy to to join. If that would happen there would be no passing the buck and it would show where our true ideals are for the public to see. Maybe then you can assist.

I also take this opportunity to mention to you that perhaps you should mention your views to the rest of the council as you have with me and have them respond. I am sure they would be more than happy to listen to your concerns as I have. Again I emphatically state that perhaps you should suscribe your name and then call me and we will talk about your concerns IN PERSON in whatever way you see it appropriate as I see it unfit for you to hide under an alias due to the very nature of the discussion especially on a message board not meant for this type of rhetoric.

P.S. Sorry for the long delay but I was in an all day meeting. Just got back from a high powered lunch in the city :-)

#216788 11/16/02 09:49 AM
J
J
It's nice to see a frank, candid and honest discussion. Sitting here in Washington, DC, I only wish this kind of open, transparent and honest discussion could take place here. I don't know who is right or wrong here, but it is refreshing to see and know honestly where people stand.

#216789 11/16/02 09:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
This is a response to Da Mee hoping she has laid off the personal attacks.
Town status can bring us more self government and more support from Central Government. They have moved to provide some of those benefits despite our village status in part because of the close relations the VC has had with the Area Rep.I hope the new Chairman sees there is value in keeping that rapport alive.

"...I have always been under the impression that it is the motives of those elected to power that count most on where the island heads....(Da Mee)"
We should always remember that there are only about three hundred adults active in business and public life on this island.Their actions are all we really have for a future and sweep away all Village Council or Central Gov. paper piles..
Remember when about ten gringos would clean the whole place with only a pack of kids and Mike Neals trailer? Or the same crowd with other help was organized by Tina to paint about fifty houses?
1. "build a nice embarkation / disembarkation point for water taxi passengers. All it would take would be a palapa at the tip of the main pier, and some benches, where people can rest in shade while they wait to take their boats. Wouldn't it also be nice to have signs directing these same passengers to the different loading areas for different boats..."
This a very good idea Da Mee has here.I think it would be most likely to succeed as a private move on the part of the Water Taxi Association. Village Council need only nod their heads in approval.
2. "..build a nice thatched shady area at the foot of the main pier where the cart porters can be shielded from the elements..."
Same for this idea. Let the cart drivers form their own workforce. Coco thatch and sticks can be free if they get permission from the landowners since these guys don't have much money. What do you think Allie?
4. "...locate someplace where a flea-market type atmosphere can be set up, or even small 8x8 shops can be constructed..."
Another good private initiative. Wasn't there a street restaurant named Poor Man's something in front of Giselle's at one time? This is an ideal spot in the heart of town. Wendy once told me that she would welcome having that kind of place around her business.
5. "...start and enourage a re-planting scheme, designed to convert CC into an island garden...."
I would be glad to donate at least a hundred trees a year.
7. "Ban heavy motorized equipment from Front Street"
Banning things creates an enforcement problem and runs against a long, long tradition here of always giving the finger to the gov.
Since there is only one dumptruck maybe the driver would volunteer to go around if we asked nicely.
8. "Severly limit the importation of motorized vehicles on the island."
This is such a crucial point that the VC has been doing it for years. The tide of allowed vehicles has been growing but they rust out and break down fast so nature is on our side.

"...Public meetings should be scheduled timely, with a published agenda before meetings, and a ballot paper prepared in advance where villagers can vote for or against the projects being tabled.
With any tabled matter, give a time frame, say ten minutes, and let people give their reasons why they are for or against a certain project. Once the ten minute limit is done, go on to the next tabled item and work your way down the agenda. At the end of the meeting, people will have printed ballots on which to vote for or against any projects, amendments, etc.... "
I like the idealism of this idea but projects that take years to plan and carry out might take more than ten minutes for the villagers to properly consider. Mario of the Iguana Reef suggests that we send live video on the cable of the meetings so many more can see the proceedings.
There are lots of types of meetings to video besides Village Council. Might need some editing though. Some of these meetings put me to sleep.

#216790 11/18/02 05:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
keycocker1 wrote:

4. "...locate someplace where a flea-market type atmosphere can be set up, or even small 8x8 shops can be constructed..."
Another good private initiative. Wasn't there a street restaurant named Poor Man's something in front of Giselle's at one time? This is an ideal spot in the heart of town. Wendy once told me that she would welcome having that kind of place around her business.

My comment:

Is there something wrong or inferior with being poor? If so, I don't seem to see it.

#216791 11/18/02 09:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Give me a break - I didn't name the guys restaurant. I just meant there was eatery there at one time and now it is empty. By that type of place I meant a street market. When I am in the States I frequent the flea markets and thrift stores. I grew up very poor and was very happy. Even now some years Lydie and I could qualfy for welfare assistance if we lived in the US or France.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 118 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,035
Members20,475
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day