Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#220779 04/10/06 01:48 AM
J
jubilee Offline OP
OP Offline
J
has anybody moved to Belize or caye Caulker with pets? Is it really as cut and dry as it says on the immigration rules. I have two reottweilers and want to make sure that everything will be in line when we move there. Thanks.

#220780 04/10/06 09:54 AM
D
D
Many folks don't have luck bringing big dogs to Caye Caulker. Notice how few there are? They often don't live long, and have traditionally not been welcome by the people.
Moving to a new country is a struggle. I note that the new next door neighbor's whole process of trying to make it here was focused around minding her two large dogs. By doing little else morning and night, she and the dogs made it for almost a year. They finally left - for the good of the dogs.

#220781 04/10/06 11:36 AM
C
C
When we moved down here full time a few years ago I brought my Rotweiler down. First I had to get her weight down to 90lbs so her and her container were just at the weight limit. The paperwork was simple and getting her through immigration easy. By the way she died 6 months after she arrived. Rotties are NOT warm weather dogs, they dont do well here. If they are from a cold climate they do even worse. They are not used to the pest that will move in on them. Their is also a big posoning problem here, I lost another sweet dog to this fate. Locals have a different perception of dogs than you and I. Especially a large dog,alot of locals will take a machette or poison a dog that they are fearful of. I also had my sweet dog come home with her thigh sliced off by a machette. She was not a big dog. I dont mean this is an everyday occurance lots of folks here have pets and love animals, if you like me find having a dog is a big part of your life we have plenty of smart cute dogs here that would love to be adopted. We have also had 17 dogs mostly private pets poisoned since this last Christmas. It would be my suggestion if you love your dogs find them a good home that you can visit when you are in the States. Good Luck

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
#220782 04/10/06 11:58 AM
J
jubilee Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I appreciate everybody's advice but I was mostly interested in the legalities. I live in southern Texas and my dogs are completely inside family pets, so as far as poisoning and the heat I will be able to protect them from that. I really appreciate your warnings so that I have a clear idea of what to prepare for. As far as leaving them, it is not possile, one is already 8 which is old for a rottie and believe it or not, there are many prejudices here on ownong a rottie and it would be impossible to find someone that wold offer them the life I want for them. Plus, the move is not permanent. Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by jubilee (edited 04-10-2006).]

#220783 04/10/06 12:31 PM
There really aren't any Belizean "laws" against bringing pets in. Cooper mentioned the restrictions set by airlines as well as the customs/quarantine stuff. Check out the Belize BAHA site for more info and call them for a import permit before your trip. We have come into Belize now 4 times with our dog and never spent more than 10min clearing her.

If the dogs are much larger than the airline's weight limit, your only option is to drive here (yes, via Mexico). It is long and sometimes a bit scary, but you will get your dogs here (well, with the water taxi to the island included)

As far as a dog's life on Caye, you are indeed taking risks. If you are prepared to deal with bugs, hot weather, other dogs etc., then come on down. If your dogs are used to cold weather, it might be a shock. If you are coming from a fairly tropical climate, they should do swell here.

There is no "official" vet on the island. Belize Dive Svcs does a great job working with the Belize City vets to keep them coming out here on a monthly basis, primarily for spay/neuter, but I believe they'll do some other basic surgeries/treatments as well.

We moved here in August with a 7 pound toy poodle. Flea/Tick treatment is bi-weekly. Baths are weekly. She spends most of the day indoors, with fans only. We take her for the occasional walk/run on the beach and she loves it. Your dogs will consume fresh water more than ever, so keep those 5gals coming.

And yes, dogs are poisoned here. It is a few pathetic cowards doing it. Everyone knows who it is too. It is something we "live with". See the other posts on the board for more details.

#220784 04/11/06 10:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
If you post your e-mail, I will be happy to share my thoughts on this topic after moving my large in door dog here from the states.

#220785 04/13/06 01:03 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Leave those dogs there!!!! We have enough here on the island . we don't need more of those dogs here . THey are extremely dangerous to our kids. What happen it the get losse? I hope the Dog poising one here in caye poision your dog.They are doing a great job!

#220786 04/13/06 05:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
To KY , I agree we already have enough dogs here, and we should help them not kill them. Guess you dont care at all about the little girl that almost died last Nov, she handled a poisoned dog and was made sick by the foam coming from its mouth and had to be flown to the city. Mabe we should dish up a poisoned meal for you too!

#220787 04/13/06 08:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Don't bring your dog !!!! Belizians don't like dogs and think of them as "pot lickers". BIG mistake to bring your animals with you. If you can't leave them, don't come!! I brought my dog and it was horrible for him. PLEASE don't put your beloved pet through it. It is very unpleasant for them.

#220788 04/13/06 11:08 PM
M
M
KY, you've got serious issues man. Since how long you heart freeze ovah?

I have to agree with very funny here. Culturally dogs are seen as scavangers - no dog walkers and organic dog biscuits in Belize, chile. You ask for advantage, someone say, "Advantage fi wah?" I don't even think that would work on Belizean bugs to be honest.

I've seen folks lose dogs in the Rockies and the Nevada desert. I wouldn't wish that look of utter greif on anyone. Shelter your pooch at home, ma. It's the best thing for them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 124 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,035
Members20,474
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day