Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
S
1500US a month is bare bones exsistense here

Try four kids, ex wives and a ever growing bar tab at Pedro's

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
Good advice Pedro2.

Anyone who is contimplating retirement(anywhere) should have something put aside besides the monthly income they are going to recieve from whatever retirement system they are under.

I disagree that it would take US2,000 to live in Belize. It's seems a lot more than the average Belezean makes per year. and 30+ % of the population is below the established poverty level However , I can understand why that amount has been legislated in.It is much less than many many othere countries.

Never Use money to measure wealth
S
S
If you can live as the locals, then of course you can live cheap, but I really doubt anyone could come close. I've been here since I was 17 and lived on $75US/week. I don't think most could handle it. I need at least $500US/week just to cover the basics.

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
I will bow to your local Knowledge Sir.

I am of retirement age, and make more than the required amount needed to retire there. Also I am a avid fisherman, and love to eat it as well. throw in some beans, and a chicken every now and then and i'm fine. The one missing factor tho is my bar bill. No way i could cover that as well. smile frown cry

Last edited by BiIl Mc Ghee; 12/31/06 05:57 PM.

So, Bill, all thos promises about MY bar bill... you were just teasing???? cry

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
NO I wasn't I had already factored in your bar bill. whistle

Thanks Bill - you're a pal! lol

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
F
OP Offline
F
Well, folks, all this input is very helpful. For what it's worth, I'm searching for a largely English-speaking, warm place near the water to retire (not to work, although I might eventually be persuaded to join a small business venture).

I would look to buy/build a home after a while, and should still have some IRA funds left over. After owning my home, I would like to be able to live decently* in a built-up area on about $1,200 US monthly.

If the cayes are too expensive for the above, do you think a mainland city (my geography's a bit fuzzy - Corozal?) nearby might fit the bill? Or should I keep looking elsewhere. I know there are many inexpensive countries nearby, but the need for Spanish is my downfall.

So, it appears that if the affordability numbers would work for me, after my arrival I should just keep renewing my tourist visa until I could work to gain permanent residency, right?

*"Living decently" to me is having A/C (or a dwelling that I can keep fairly cool), internet access, fairly safe neighborhood, and a "reasonable" barbill (ha - cheap beer anyway). Otherwise I'm ready to go native to a large extent, food-wise, basic needs, etc.

Thank you all again. I am reaping a great benefit from your practical experience and observations.

PS: I should add that it is just me, i.e, no family to worry about.

Al Foster
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Just one example cost. Some girls rented my house for 6 weeks a few months ago, running the A/C fairly extensively. Their electricity bill for 6 weeks was US$450.

Is the rate for electricity the same on the mainland as in AC?
$/kwh. And what is the rate('s) at present?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 112 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,037
Members20,476
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.