Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
P
P
How does this affect TMM and the charter business? In the past, they have been great advocates for rational balance of safety and economics. There really is a problem that Port Authority is trying to address. The other day I was cut off by a boat driven by an apparently inexperienced driver and was almost hit. The diver happily waved and had no idea at all that he had put me and my nephews at real risk. NO IDEA AT ALL. I was really scared. But on the other hand , there are people that come down for a couple of months a year and are experienced and careful. In the states, you have to have an operaters license to operate a bost. Why should Belize be different?

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
We've been cut up by boats driven by highly experienced local boat captains. They sometimes have the skills but choose not to use them - but you try getting anything done about it short of a serious accident happening (and sometimes even then).

Fortunately however boat handling around AC is generally good. Engines and lower units are too expensive for an owner to put up with his boat being trashed.

Not all states in the US require a boater's license. I live in No. CA and there is NO requirement for a boating safety course, or requirement for a license. There are a BUNCH of totally oblivious people driving boats around here on the lakes and delta. Fourth of July is absolutely crazy with drunk, inexperienced boaters, and most weekends aren't much better.

Kat
Wil is simply facilitating the licensing of people that already out there, in the waters, operating their boats. You don't think people in the states that own condos are going to hop and a plane and run down here to join this gathering do you?

The voice of reason, OK your right

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
It just makes sence that if you have a boat licence from another country that has simular qualification requirements to Belize, that you should be able to operate a boat here. (Simular to drivers licence for carts). However, one needs to be familar with the local waters in order to safely navigate. This point is very important ANYWHERE one skippers a boat.

FYI, The US Coast Guard has a boaters safety course the requires you to pass a test in order to get a certificate. There are also many other classes of US Coast Guard Captains licences avalable depending on what you need.

S
S
What a awesome step in the right direction! Imagine registered boats and licensed captains. Excellent.

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
I'm more than a little concerned about this boat captain lic. issue.
Let me explain a little. I'll try not to be to long.
This Island belongs to a group of men that where fishermen,We are all visiting with their grace. They successfully changed their vocations and survived the advent of tourism by becoming Boat Captains and tour guides and water Taxi Drivers(they have a powerful union and the ear of government). They make their living/feed their families taking people out in Boats. Peace has prevailed in the changing environment because they successfully made this transition. Foreign ownership of boats and legalizing foreign captains in Ambergris's market place dilutes their earning value, threatens their livelihood and their alternatives for another vocational transition are limited. In the 80s when development boomed it frightened Local men and it was commonly threatened, 'sink Gringo boats' until San Pedranios found a comfortable niche in the new economy.
At that time it was necessary for foreigners to get letters of permission from the local union for permits to do almost anything on the island involving the sea and rightfully so.
Its their Island and we are here by their good graces making a living off their natural resources. We have a debt and owe respect for this permission.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
S
S
Nice Elbert, but even most of these local fishermen were welcomed to San Pedro too (after Hurricane Janet destroyed their homes in Xcalak in 1955).

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
S
S
Not true!!! Most all of these local fishermen were born right here.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 135 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,036
Members20,476
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.