Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
T
T
On the morning of the incident which from what I hear happened in the dark the wind was blowing hard away from shore and the seas were calm. A tangle of a rope in the prop with the wind would have kept him away from the reef for the most part and certainly with the use of thrusters he should have been able to stay off the reef and tend to the problem. Not saying he was on the reef but more importantly he should know not to drop anchor and in most cases as it has been in the past people and captains of large vessels think that because they are in Belize or whatever third world country they can basically, do whatever they want and nothing will happen. Based on the information I have heard the yacht was released and that is that. I guess they were right and they can do whatever they want. Seems like maybe they should also let the freighter go that ran aground I am sure that the captain could make something up as well.

This is not about a mistake or about what someone did or did not do it is about the damage that was caused by someone who never even set foot on this island and then just picked up his toys and left with no repercussions whatsoever.

In the end the sad part is that there are many ways to eliminate these problems we could have a harbour master and a monitored VHF channel to help with approaches and various other high tech toys to make sure everyone is completely aware of what they need to do. Or people who captain these vessels can accept the responsibility and buy the book for $29.00 USD that basically tells you exactly how to approach and enter the cut here.

It does not matter what facts or factors contributed to the incident what matters is that this island and the people of this country will get screwed. If it is not someone dropping sewage into the ocean or someone causing global warming then we can always count on large yacht owners to destroy the reef.

In my opinion we should just get a few thousand pounds of TNT and blast a hole the size of a cruise ship so they to can join in the fun.

The above statements were partially fact and partially sarcasm. It is up to you all to determine which was which!

Originally Posted by Belize-N-Us
Well, well I guess I've sure got a lot of egg on my face now don't I

papa, you must know some secrets about egg removal from face by now. What's your secret?

Try going out to a driving range, lay flat on your back and let people use your nose for a tee. If that doesn't work, in the future engage brain before keyboard.

Reality..What a concept!
It is awful and upsetting that this big boat came in and damaged the reef, but when I read who owned the yacht- the owner of the largest TV station in Mexico - I automatically assumed it would be quietly 'handled'. While I don't agree with this, it is the way of the world. The big media owners are the most powerful people in their respective countries (or in the case of Rupert Murdoch in other people's countries). No one messes with them. Maybe I've just become cynical but it didn't cross my mind that there would be any other outcome.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

I may be wrong but I suspect that some good reporters will be on this like flies on stink!

Who got what and how much was it?

Last edited by champion; 04/08/09 05:27 PM.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
F
F
I have just read this entire thread and anyone that called anyone an ass for ANY reason is an ASS. People have opinions, period.

I cannot imagine that the captain of a multi-million dollar yacht is an idiot. Even if it seems obvious. On the other hand I cannot believe FOR WHATEVER REASON they will not be held responsible for the damage.

I am embarrassed with some of the correspondence on this thread. Truly

What the hell is wrong with you people (you know who I mean). Yes, this man that anchored on the reef was wrong, yes he should pay for the error. This is regardless of the reasons. No?

I might just as well jump on the assumptions band wagon. If indeed the yacht and its captain have left the island without having to pay any fines or recompense, I still suspect that money changed hands somewhere along the line. Not that any of that benefits the reef or the island or the islanders or the people of Belize . . .maybe one people, maybe two people.

Lynching? I could be up for that. Who are we lynching? Jesse??

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

E
E
Why not ? Makes about as much sence as Freezer's comment.

S
S
The yacht was taken to Belize City for further investigation and settlement. Any further "comments" should be directed to the Port of Belize and/or Dept. of the Environment and/or the Police Department.

(sorry. u r right. i deleted my post.)

S
S
DAMAGE ASSESSMENT CONTINUES IN LUXURY SHIPPED ANCHORED IN FRONT OF SAN
PEDRO

Apr 8, 2009

Just how much damage was caused to the reef yesterday has still not
been made official. Preliminary assessment done by officers from the
Fisheries Department yesterday found that the damaged area measured forty
five by twenty five feet and because the damage was done by an anchor at
least thirty five percent of the corals in that area was damaged. Unlike
the damage caused by a ship running aground on the reef, the anchor had
less impact. The preliminary assessment has been handed over to the
Department of Environment and they will decide, after a full damage
assessment is complete, the cost of the damage. The luxury yacht anchored
on the reef crest just outside of San Pedro Town yesterday morning. As we
understand it, the ship that flew a Bermudian flag belongs to Mexican
National Recardo Benjamin Salinas Pliego the owner of Teve Azteca. At least
25 people were onboard the vessel at the time. The luxury yacht was removed
from the reef last night and the captain was immediately detained pending
the outcome of the damage assessment and other investigations that are
being carried out by the D.O.E and the fisheries department.
http://www.lovefm.com/ndisplay.php?nid=9873

Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 105 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,206
Posts500,038
Members20,479
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.