Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
RMT #360451 12/06/09 10:37 PM
E
E
Who cares what Peter thinks

RMT #360452 12/06/09 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by RMT
............................... it depends on how certain Moderators feel doesn't it?? IF it slants a certain way then Go for it!! If not well what does it have to do with Belize. Same old story.........

( Former moderator(s) )

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
B
B
I hate to admit it...but i do miss the arguments on U.S. chat.

butch and shannon
RMT #360454 12/07/09 01:18 AM
P
P
Originally Posted by RMT
Peter, I am curious...why do you feel she is guilty when there is not much physical evidence at what was supposed to be a horrific crime scene??
None of it makes sense to me.

I agree with your uncertainty. My views aren't definitive, just on the balance of probabilities. I just feel that, scant as it may be, the evidence that's been presented in the press (which is all I know - I haven't attempted to look at Court transcripts) does point towards her. Notably DNA and fingerprints, and I seem to remember something about bloody footprints. But also her attitude early on in the investigation - very cold and distant, and remarked on by all observers.

It's clear that she isn't the person her parents want her to be - it seems to be non-controversial that on the train to Perugia when she first went there, not a very long journey, she had sex with a total stranger. Then with quite a few others during her time there. Her parents seem to think that by sending her to a Jesuit school they've nearly bought her sainthood. I honestly feel that regardless of any evidence they would never accept that their child could be the person the Court thinks she is. Nor apparently would many other people from her home country. It's interesting though that there is a public movement in Seattle supporting her conviction - not all Americans dismiss it as clear evidence of political bias against the USA.

OP Offline
honestly wanted the opinion of attorneys frequenting this board on the ribbons/scarves worn. Since it wasn't a political argument being made, I thought the nature of the topic -- international in nature -- would be okay.

Interesting perspectives from the intelligent people here -- as usual -- thanks!

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
R
R
ott, I've come to the conclusion that you just don't know what a jury is going to do. I think it is a good system but with certain people...?

I've been on 2 juries. In one which was a damage case the plaintiff surely did not have a case and was made a fool of on the stand. We go into deliberations and right off one of the jurors says, "I know he's faking it but he worked hard at this case for several years so he should be rewarded" or words very close to that. I did a nutty and I told her and the other jurors that I would propose he getting nothing at all if that position was entertained. We ended up giving him a small amount to cover initial medical bills that where probably covered anyway by insurance.

Another case which was a criminal case was worse than that but it would take a little to explain it. In that case the jury ended up hung and I'm not sure if it was ever retried. I didn't make any friends in that case but I didn't like decisions of his guilt made on the demeanor/looks of the defendant's attorney by a couple of jurors.

I hope I never get picked for a jury again. Right now my wife and daughter have standby dates.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
OP Offline
I've only been on a grand jury and really enjoyed it. Rapid fire cases of different types and I was lucky to be with a good group of individuals that knew their proper role.

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
K
K
I guess I find speculating on the nature/fairness/appearance of a foreign trial of little value. At best you've got reporters with an unused JD commenting on what they observed or heard. Maybe if the Board had an Italian lawyer with substantial practice experience and a pipeline to the trial testimony we could understand the system and result. Unless you know the Italian substantive and procedural practice, you're just guessing, or transferring US judicial values to Italy. And that assumes you know US substantive and procedural rules and practice. Hell, I find speculating on US trials by media viewers w/o substance other than the entertainment value. How many of you that have been on jury(or grand jury)duty(or even a party) thought there was "something going on" that you were not a part of and really didn't understand.

Last edited by krehfish; 12/09/09 04:06 PM. Reason: brain coma

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
R
R
krehfish, You are correct, it is mostly entertainment value only. But I didn't read anything too out of the way on the messages. You are also correct about
"something going on" that you were not a part of and really didn't understand.
In my work I'm in court or court hearings several times a year and I feel that way frequently. Most of the time one of our lawyers is sitting along side me and they explain it eventually to me. Once our attorney didn't show up and I tried handling it myself. You know what I got handed to me by the clerk magistrate. wink

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
I know it's human nature but it still surprises me that people, espcially in their old age, are so close minded. I'm not talking about you Peter, I'm talking about everyone who thinks along the same lines as you. It's like people are so totally critical of what people do. I've had friends who have had sex many many more times than this young girl, people who have shopflifted, used the lords name in vain, lied, used many many many drugs etc. These things are not good by any stretch of the imagination. I don't condemn these things and the people I know who have done these things are certainly not proud of their actions... but it doesn't meant that they are likely to be rapists and killers! Omg so damn frustrating! You can't blame peoples past actions on what they are "likely" to do today.

So stupid. We as a community try to understand people based on thier past history and experiences but sometimes this can't be done!

*sigh.. lol

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 163 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,037
Members20,476
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.