Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
G
G
1983, with the British Forces.

Flew in by helicopter, picked up by landrover, one of the few vehicles on the island, stayed at the Barrier Reef Hotel, now a bank.

Spent happy hour drinking rum with some local fishermen at the then very respectable 'Big Daddies'. Arranged to meet them the following day for a Sunday afternoon barbeque at a 'Brit Bar', this was 'getting off the island' for them. Off we went by boat. Great bar, one of the few cement buildings, cold, cold beer, and great food. Bar qualified as a 'Brit Bar' as it had a dart board.

We had a great afternoon, all that was promised was delivered. Bar is still there, it is the bar at Victoria House. this was considered getting 'off-island' by the locals in 1983!!!

Would never have believed it then, but I have now lived here for fast aopproaching 18 years..... Where did they go???

Last edited by grant3wishes; 02/12/10 04:14 PM.
B
B
October of 2009. Picked up a week at Costa Maya Reef Resort at an auction for dirt cheap. Best money I may ever have spent. We explored all over the Island, and spent a little bit of time on the mainland as well, snorkeled all over, fished, rode bikes, golf cart day in town. By far the simplest and most enjoyable vacation I can remember. Renting a house for the next time we go for the month. I will always love this place.

K
K
I was a hopeful flyfisher in the '90's. Spent a few years in the Keys, but I kept seeing TV shows with BZE clips. At the time the published price in the newspaper(ST. Paul PP) was $1100. I was a late bloomer to the internet, but in '01 we made it-wife and 12yo daughter. Good trip for a first timer. Capt.Morgans(pre-condo) with the taxi and boat waiting. I'll never forget the morning the toilet plugged, about the same time the staff was coming back from town(sun. am)(I learned something). Got alot?! of help. Next year it was Paradise Villas, and we learned alot about the town, esp, the food. Fishing was wonderful(thanx Wendy). I also wondered at the time what kind of nut-case would build on the lagoon side,oh well. Since then it's been 2 or 3 times a year. Interestingly, my daughter(the soon to be CPA) wants to be married in Belize-loves the pics she has under the "arch" looking out at the reef at BB.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
November 2002. Went down for diving. Just returned from my fourth trip, got married while down there and the wife loves the place too. When I first went down, everyone asked "Where is Belize?" Now when I say I'm going down there, everyone knows where it is and is jealous.

My first trip was in 1980. Loved it then, still do. It's changed quite a bit but still has the same laid back warm spirit. I've travelled to many parts of the world since but nothing compares to the feeling I have when in San Pedro, the people are one of the best things about it! Just recently bought a place at Oasis and plan to be down several months a year.

Paradise Gallery & Frame San Pedro, AC

"Custom Framing & Art Gallery featuring local Artisans"
I just love reading this stuff, so much of it is how we feel!! There have been lots of changes but it is simply magical....I remember Papi's, the sandy streets, the hand pulled ferry (which our golf cart almost fell off of!!!) and after traveling all over there is no place like Belize and AC, love it!!!! We hope we are lucky enough to retire there someday and I envy all of the people who have the guts to just move there!!!

Our first trip was 2003 on a cruise. We took a snorkel trip to Geoff (sic?) Caye and dreamed of returning one day. Did a lot of research online and decided to look at property. Returned in 2005 and rented a car, got lost in the jungle (quite an adventure) got fed up trying to find the land we wanted to look at and asked at the airport where is the best snorkeling. Flew out to San Pedro, stayed at the Sands and went snorkeling with Patejo's(sic?). What a fabulous trip it turned out to be!!! Our last day on island we passed a realtor ad about Reef Village and decided to take a look. We purchased a third floor one bed that day and have enjoyed many return visits since!! Our absolute favorite day is fishing, snorkeling, and BBQ on the beach. The reef, the turquoise waters, the beach, the friendly and welcoming people, the many friends we have made, the beautiful children, the peace and tranquility, the fabulous colors, the wonderful food--all these are our favorites!!! We purchased a lot in Tres Cocos and plan to build our retirement home there--hopefully in the next year or so. Will be back again soon!!!

Our first trip was Feb of 2000. We had been going to Cozumel for years, and a lot of other islands between Coz trips. Then the the cruise ships started coming and the island was turning into another Cancun, so we moved south. My wife did a lot of research and we decided on San Pedro. We came in the first day, and it was getting dark when we landed on the island. My wife and I, a few relatives and friends piled into a ratty little van for the trip down middle street to Paradise villas. I said to the wife, "what the hell have you gotten us into?. After settling into our villa, we hoofed it downtown and ended up at the Barrier Reef (where the bank is now) on front street. This is where I met up with the first lobster the size of my forearm ( I believe it was about $12 US). A few Belikins and we were hooked. 6 trips so far, and a lot of good experiences, good food, new friends and great memories. We still hit a few other islands, but Ambergris is our "comfort" place. Right now we are trying to plan for Lobsterfest this year. Like a lot of others, we remember when the bridge was just a pipedream and the hand ferry was reality. Papi's was the best. Mornings at Estels (thank God some things don't change). I remember my first Belikin Calendar, a gift from a waiter at The Reef, because the disty didn't have any left. Fishing trips ending up with a beach luch complete with fresh ceviche and fish done up in tinfoil, and lobsters on the side. And Belikin. All of those mornings on the pier with a cup of coffee watching the sun come up. The kids playing in the streets, happier than children seem to be elswhere. Kids going to school in uniform, and getting rides in golf carts from the tourists. Picking up hitchhikers on the carts away from town, and making new friends. The smiles on the people, and the overwhelming feeling that you were a guest on the island, not interlopers. Heavy Sigh.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
Just updated my profile to include my favorite pic of my life

Still one of my favorites.

//ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/article42.html

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 136 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.