NY TIMES

While it is hard to pin down any truly distinctive Belizean cuisine, what you will find in Belize is a mix of Caribbean, Mexican, African, Spanish, and Mayan culinary influences. You'll also find burgers, pizzas, Chinese food, and even Indian restaurants.

Belize's strongest suit is its seafood. Fresh fish, lobster, shrimp, and conch are widely available, especially in the beach and island destinations. Belize has historically been a major exporter of lobster, but overharvesting has caused the population to decline. It is still readily available and relatively inexpensive, but there is a lobster season, from June 15 to February 14.

Rice and beans is a major staple, often served as an accompaniment to almost any main dish. A slight difference is to be inferred between "rice and beans," which are usually cooked (sometimes in coconut milk) and served together, and "beans and rice," which are usually cooked and served separately. Belizeans tend to use a small red bean, but black beans are sometimes used.

Aside from rice and beans, if there were such a thing as a national dish it would be stew chicken and its close cousins stew beef and stew fish. These Kriol-based recipes are dark stews that get their color from a broad mix of spices, as well as red recado, which is made from annatto seed or achiote. A similar and related stew commonly found around Belize is chimole, which is sometimes called black gumbo.

Perhaps the most distinctive element of Belizean cuisine and dining is Marie Sharp's Hot Sauce. Almost no dining table is complete without a bottle of Marie Sharp's. The original Marie Sharp's is a very spicy sauce made from a base of habanero peppers, carrots, and onions. Currently, Marie Sharp's has a wide range of different hot sauces, jams, and chutneys. If you have a hankering for the hot stuff, you will find that your options aren't confined to Marie Sharp's. In many restaurants, you will often see a jar of habanero peppers and onions marinating in simple white vinegar. Marie Sharp's original sauce was named Melinda's; however, she no longer has anything to do with Melinda's (it's not even made in Belize anymore). One other local hot sauce you might see is Lizette's, which is also quite good.

A new local product to look out for is homemade organic chocolate, which you'll see in supermarkets and gift shops around the country under the label Goss Chocolate (www.gosschocolate.com).

Meals & Dining Customs

Belizeans tend to eat three meals a day, in similar fashion and hours to North Americans. Breakfasts tend to be served between 6:30 and 9am; lunch between noon and 2pm; and dinner between 6 and 10pm. Most meals and dining experiences are quite informal. In fact, there are only a few restaurants in the entire country that could be considered semiformal, and none require a jacket or tie, although you could certainly wear them.

Breakfast -- The typical breakfast in Belize is quite simple, usually anchored by some scrambled eggs and refried red or black beans. However, instead of toast, you will often have a choice of tortillas, johnnycakes, or fry jacks to accompany them. A johnnycake is a semidry, baked, round flour biscuit, served with butter or stuffed with ham and/or cheese. Fry jacks are a similar batter and shape, but deep-fried, and either served as is or dusted with confectioner's sugar. The most common tortillas served in Belize are corn tortillas.

Appetizers -- Conch fritters are by far the country's most popular and tastiest appetizer. These deep-fried balls of flour batter and chopped conch meat are on most bar and restaurant menus in the country, particularly on the cayes and along the coast. Try some.

Sandwiches & Snacks -- Belize's light menus show a heavy Mexican and American influence. Many simple eateries and roadside carts will feature simple tacos, tamales (also called dukunu), or garnaches. The latter, a fried corn tortilla topped with beans, cheese, or shredded meat or chicken, would probably be considered a tostada by many. Popular stuffed pastries include meat pies and panades, small, deep-fried empanadas.

You can also get traditional sandwiches, often served on sliced white bread, as well as American-style burgers. I personally recommend looking for fish, shrimp, or conch burgers, which are available at most beach and island destinations.

Meat, Poultry & Wild Game -- Belizeans also eat a fair amount of meat and poultry, as well as some more interesting game. Because Belize only recently began to raise its own beef, the country relied for a long time on wild game. Some of the more interesting game items you might see on a Belizean menu include gibnut (paca) and iguana. The gibnut is a large rodent, Agouti paca, which some say tastes like rabbit, although I find it a bit gamier. Iguana is frequently called "bamboo chicken," and it does actually taste a bit like chicken. Occasionally, you may also come across wild boar, armadillo, or some other forest-dwelling creature.

Another popular wild animal found in restaurants is the sea turtle, endangered all over the world, including in Belize. It's not yet illegal to sell sea turtle within Belize, but international agreements prohibit its export. Please don't order turtle steak, turtle soup, or turtle eggs. In fact, I'm a little hesitant to recommend the eating of wild game at all. So far, there's no reliable data on the impact that the hunting of wild game has had or could have, but there is reason for concern. Belize is struggling to preserve its natural environment, and as long as people order wild game, it will continue to show up on menus. Exceptions would be any farm-raised wild animals, like iguanas. When harvested from commercial "iguana farms," this wild game actually has the potential to mix sustainable yield with modern conservation.

The Queen's Rat -- The gibnut is often called "The Queen's Rat" or "The Royal Rat" because Queen Elizabeth was served gibnut during a visit here. Headlines in London read "Queen eats rat."

Seafood -- Seafood is the basic staple of most of the country's coastal and island destinations. It is fresh and plentiful. Shrimp, conch, lobster (in season), and a variety of fish are almost always on the menu. You're best off sticking to simple preparations, either grilled or fried. My favorite fishes are grouper, snapper, and dorado (or mahimahi). You will also come across barracuda, shark, and marlin. You'll rarely find snook on the menu, and if so, you should definitely try this delicate white fish.

If you are in a Garífuna region, you should not miss the chance to try hudut, a fish stew or whole fish preparation served in a coconut-milk broth, often accompanied by mashed, fried green plantains. Sere is a very similar Kriol dish that seems more like a traditional fish or seafood stew, but again, based on a coconut-milk broth.

Ceviche, a cold marinade of fish, conch, and/or shrimp "cooked" in lime juice and seasoned, is a great treat for lunch or as an appetizer.

Vegetables -- On the whole, you'll find vegetables surprisingly lacking in Belizean meals. Fresh garden salads are rare and hard to come by. A lack of fresh ingredients makes other vegetable dishes and sides almost as uncommon. Most restaurant meals come accompanied by a simple slaw of grated cabbage, or a potato or beet salad.

Fruits -- Belize has a wealth of delicious tropical fruits. The most common are mangoes (the season begins in May), papayas, pineapples, melons, and bananas. Other fruits you might find include the fruit of the cashew tree, which has orange or yellow glossy skin, and carambola (star fruit), a tart fruit whose cross-sections form perfect stars.

Desserts -- Belize doesn't have a very extravagant or refined dessert culture. After all, the country was colonized by the British, not the French. However, you can usually find homemade coconut pie, chocolate pie, or bread pudding on most menus. Flan, an egg-and-condensed-milk custard imported from Mexico, is also popular.

Beverages -- Most major brands of soft drinks are available, as are fresh lime juice (limeade) and orange juice. You're in the tropics, so expect to find fresh shakes made with papaya, pineapple, or mango.

One of the most unique drinks you're likely to sample anywhere is a seaweed shake, a cooling concoction made of dried seaweed, evaporated and condensed milk, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and blended with ice. Seaweed shakes are sometimes kicked up with a shot of rum or brandy.

Water -- Much of the drinking water in Belize is rainwater. People use the roofs of their houses to collect water in a cistern, which supplies them for the year. Tap water isn't generally considered safe to drink, even in most cities and popular tourist towns. The water in Belize City and San Ignacio is relatively safe to drink, but travelers often get a touch of diarrhea whenever they hit a foreign country, so always play it safe. Ask for bottled drinking water at your hotel, and whenever you can, pick up a bottle of spring or purified water (available in most markets) to have handy.

Beer, Wine & Liquor -- The Belize Brewing Company's Belikin beer is the national beer of Belize. It comes in several varieties, including Belikin Lager, Belikin Premium, and Belikin Stout. The recipes and original brew masters all came from Germany. Both the lager and premium are full-bodied, hearty beers. The Belikin brewery also bottles a locally produced Guinness Stout, as thick and rich as its brand name demands.

As you'll find throughout the Caribbean, rum is the liquor of choice in Belize. There are several brands and distilleries producing rum in Belize. Probably the finest Belizean rum is the 5-year-aged Prestige. One of the most popular brands you'll come across is 1 Barrel, which has a hint of vanilla, and is slightly sweet for my taste.

Belize doesn't produce any traditional wines of note. The climate and soil are not very well suited for growing the right kinds of grapes. On Ambergris Caye, the Rendezvous Restaurant & Winery does in fact import grape juice for the purpose of producing and bottling their own wines, although they are really more of a novelty than a delicacy.

Several different fruit wines are produced in Belize using native fruits, including pineapple and even banana. These wines are very sweet and are more a novelty than anything else. In remote parts of the country, you'll find homemade fruit wines that are a bit like hard cider.

http://travel.nytimes.com/

10 Most Common Ingredients Used In Belizean Food

It is not a mystery that Belizeans are excellent cooks – both male and females. Even though I am a male, I can cook from well prepared pastas to the most iconic Belizean dish – the Rice and Beans. Talk about being multi-talented!

I am obsessed with the kitchen in so many ways that I always keep it stacked with a variety of ingredients. And when I am ready, I cook something for both my wife and I; who needs restaurants anyway. Don’t even ask how she thanks me later– kisses here, kisses there. O’ how I love cooking!

But what makes us excellent chefs? It could be that we have inherited these abilities from our ancestors. What do you think? I don’t even know my ancestors so I can jump to that conclusion. How about you?

I studied this carefully and came up with my own little conclusion; what makes us extra-ordinary cooks has nothing to do with us, but a lot with the ingredients we use.

I went to take a look at my kitchen and compared it with my mother’s, and boy was I surprised. I found out that she was using the same ingredients that my wife and I were using. I observed other people’s kitchens and I noticed the same ingredients.

It is safe to say that most Belizean cooks use the same ingredients to prepare their food. So we have gathered here a list of the most common ingredients found in Belizean Food.

1. Corn – Arguably the most popular ingredient in Central America. Corn is used in most of the food we prepare here in Belize, making it one of the most common ingredients found in Belizean food. Corn is used to make tamales, tacos, salbutes, panades, corn tortillas, garnaches and so much more.

2. Beans – If you are a Belizean you definitely eat beans at least three time for the week. Therefore  beans deservedly fall in this list. Beans is mainly used to prepare beans soup here in Belize.

3. Rice – A magical mixture of rice and beans makes one of Belize’s favorite dishes -- the rice and beans.

4. Coconut Oil – A perfect rice and beans must be complimented by some coconut oil. Oil is also used to prepare other Belizeans traditional dishes.

5. Onion – While onion is not the nicest ingredient in this list, I had to include it because we use it in almost every dish we prepare here in Belize. Basically, onion is like oxygen for our food, if it doesn't have onion it is not perfect.

6. Sweet Peppers – This ingredient is used in soups, fast foods, sauces and in many other Belizean foods, so rightfully it made it in this list of the most common ingredients found in Belizean food.

7. Tomatoes – Tomatoes is the brother of sweet peppers. Wherever you see one you will see the other. This ingredient is used to prepare excellent sauces and nice vegetable salads.

8. Season All – This ingredient is what gives everything you cook the taste that it has. The use of the entire family of season all has become a tradition in the preparation of food here in Belize.

9. Flour – While flour is the least used in this list, it is still one of the most common ingredients used here in Belize. It is used to make the famous tortillas.

10. Salt and Pepper – Salt and pepper is used to add the final touch to a well prepared meal. Some Belizeans love their pepper along with their meals.

iBelmopan Blog

Top 10 Belizean Food

Top 10 Belizean Food Infographic

If you share the same taste that I have for my Belizean food, you would agree that Belizean food is simply the best! Don't you think? Here is an excellent infograhic of the Top 10 Belizean Food, according to popular Chaa Creek travel blog. Fantastic job my friend!
One of my first happy discoveries about Belize was how wonderful and varied the food is. Generally inexpensive,dining in Belize is a treat. There’s great variety, ingredients are fresh, and hygiene is never a worry. I’ve dined with gusto from excellent resort kitchens to beach shacks and the humblest of street side vendors, and never had a rumble of tummy discontent. It’s usually real food made by real folks with a certain amount of Belize’s national ingredient – pride.

Any selection of the Belizean culinary arts is by nature a multicultural melange, and here are my top favourites.

Fry Jacks is one the best breakfast fast food that Belizeans love.

Panades is one of my favorite if not my most favorite Belizean fast food. Panades is one of the most common fast foods prepared in Belize. Apart from being one of my favorite foods, panades holds a special place in the hearts of many food lovers. Because I love panades so much, I decided to make an interesting graph on the anatomy of present-day Belizean panades and how they are prepared here in Belize. The graph might seem to display some controversial information but in the end panades is one of the most delicious foods you can eat here in Belize, Period!

I am not a big fan of Gibnut but my parents love the meat from this forest rodent. I have seen it prepared it many several ways -- even in BBQ.

My mother knows to make the best Escabache around, Period!

Belizean Food: Typical and Traditional things to try

Belizean food is simple, always fresh and amazing. If you've traveled in Central America you'll notice that there are many similarities between Belizean cuisine and traditional food found in places like El Salvador, Costa Rica and even Mexico�but each meal has a slight twist - it might be a few added ingredients or the way it is eaten.

So take advantage of Belize being a melting pot of cultures and�experience an explosion of flavours that will enchant all of your senses.�Here’s a basic guide with a list of the best things to taste – bookmark this page or write it down, your culinary adventure awaits!

Appetizers

• Conch fritters
  • Ceviche
  • Cheese Dip
  • Belizean Pico de Gallo

Breakfast

• Johnny Cakes
  • Fry Jacks (fried flour dough)
  • Chaya with Eggs
  • Flour Tortillas
  • Meat Pie

Lunch and Dinner

• Rice and Beans with Stew Chicken (sides of�Potato Salad and Fried Plantains)
  • Bollos (similar to Tamales)
  • Dukunu (think Corn bread but a lot heftier - add stewed chicken to make it a complete meal)
  • Boil up (A mix of ground food)
  • Seafood (fresh fish, lobster and shrimp meals)
  • Pupusas (brought to Belize by refugees of El Salvador)

Fast Food

• Garnaches
  • Panades
  • Salbutes
  • Tacos (fried or on a soft corn tortilla)
  • Fry Chicken (Chinese Restaurant)

Belizean Soups

• Conch soup
  • Cowfoot soup
  • Hudut (Coconut fish soup)
  • Escabeche (Onion soup)
  • Caldo - Beef or Chicken

Bizarre Foods

• Iguana (Bamboo chicken)
  • Gibnut (Known as the Royal Rat)
  • Bokotora (River turtle)
  • Armadillo

Desserts and Sweets

• Coconut Tart
  • Lemon Pie
  • Tres Leches Cake
  • Rum Raison Bread Pudding
  • Rum Fruit Cake (during Christmas season)
  • Belizean Fudge (think Peanut Brittle)
  • Sweet Potato Pudding

Drinks

• Belikin Beer & Stout
  • Rum (Caribbean Rum and One Barrel Rum)
  • Cashew Wine
  • Fresh Natural Juices (Lime, Orange, Pineapple, Watermelon)
  • Seaweed Drink
  • Coke, Fanta and Sprite (Its more carbonated and natural brown sugar is used)

Belize Adventure