Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thank you Nick. I'm beginning to understand the advantages and disadvantages of the program. Kind of you to replay so quickly. [;>) --Tagurrit

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
comments....

I have a bit of trouble figuring why the pie chart would show Belizeans on QRP. Belizeans should be able to move here without obligating any monthly money deposits and they should require no permits to remain in the country, no?.

Is there some tax trick?

-----------------------

Good point. My guess is that the total number "enrolled" includes spouses and family. Perhaps a few Belizeans are enrolled in the QRP program as spouses or dependent children of other nationals in the program.

I came in on the QRP in 2003. At that time it was advertised as permanent residency. At about the same time 'someone' stole a lot of blank residency cards. They gave me a letter stating all of this that I was told to show when entering or leaving the country. I kept my folder with all my documents, including this letter, in my carry-on bag. When I showed it to immigration at the Belize airport they laughed at me and said "We don't honor this."
Upon my return I did some investigating and learned that the Belize Tourism Board created this program and 'didn't ask the immigration people for their blessing.' Like so many other things you have to play the right game with the right people.
Several years later they gave out residency cards and I was shocked when I saw the words 'temporary' and 'expires.' This was not the program as promoted.
One of the original requirements was that you had to have a guaranteed income of $2,000.00USD per month. Now I have to prove that I spent that amount each month and pay them $50 BELIZE. Mine expires in April and although I provided them with all the papers and money they were never able to come up with a card for me.
SO - what does it matter Not a thing as it means nothing at any airport. It used to get me free pass at Hol Chan but now that doesn't even exist.
Bottom line - this was a great idea that was not properly executed in a country run by men of adolescent mentality. I love it here. I do not plan to ever live any place else. I hate the corruption, crime, lack of shame or guilt, greed, overdevelopment, lack of intra-structure and attitude towards gringos (no, we are not all rich).
I appreciate this message board where we all get to vent - thank you Marty!

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
I have friends that have been very successful with the QRP program and after 5 years they were the first retirees on QRP to obtain Belizean Citizenship - releasing them from the need to "qualify" each year.

Other friends have used the program and found it beneficial and others dropped it as it became burdensome for them to go through the re-qualifying process each year.

As with any incentive program, the benefits do not always outweigh the pain in the butt factor! The incentives were great for some, people moving down their belongings, bringing in vehicles, moving money out of their mother country to the new host country etc.

[quote=Amanda Syme]I have friends that have been very successful with the QRP program and after 5 years they were the first retirees on QRP to obtain Belizean Citizenship - releasing them from the need to "qualify" each year.

How did that work for them? I was under the impression that to apply for residency or citizenship you had to relinquish your QRP and go thru the regular process for residency or citizenship.

They were the first QRP people to be processed and naturalized. If you need the details I am sure they would be happy to discuss it with you. They are my next door neighbours.

Marty I noticed the pie chard too but I figured it was an internal Belize government thing. I think you have to be correct that it's spouses or Belizians born overseas. And thank you all for your comments. I'm beginning to get a better picture of the country via this exchange. I figure with a population of 321K Belize is like any medium sized town in the US with an Air Force! Same problems same good points, Modesto, Ca is 310K, Madison, Wi is 330K, Reno, Nv is 303K, Spokane, Wa is 330K for instance. Can you imagine Reno with it's own Air Force? WOW!

C
C2C
C2C
C
http://www.nvwg.cap.gov/units/rcs.htm Reno has their own composite squadron of the Civil Air Patrol as do many cities in the US. Most of them are far more capable than the Air Wing of the Belize Defense Force.

Oh and Marty the bird is my Bolivian Blue and Gold Duncan not a generic picture! [;>)

By the way, the pie chart is from a Belize Chamber of Commerce report. The report has a some other information on the QRP.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 211 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.