Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
LauraV Offline OP
OP Offline
L
My husband and I are moving to San Pedro later this month and we are looking at various mail forwarding/mail scanning services to get our U.S. mail while we are there. What do the rest of the expats do? Any advice is helpful.

R
R
Laura, Normal mail is not particularly dependable in Belize but maybe a mail forwarding service works. In my case I do almost nothing any more using snail mail. I've found that virtually everything that is done via mail can be done on line. It does take a while to free yourself from mail, I guess.

I told all my friends not to send cards and things like that. Some don't understand of course and it used to be not to unusual to get a Christmas card in May or June. Most mail is junk as far as I'm concerned. I bank on line(deposits and withdrawals; pay bills; pay taxes (real estate and other taxes; chat with friends and almost everything else. I've been doing this for so long that I see no need for normal mail but I will say if someone is coming down to visit me they would bring down some mail but it is very seldom something of any consequence. I can't remember needing something that I couldn't work around and my life is a little more complicated I think than most. I guess there have been a few times that I had a family member scan something and send it to me but not that often anymore.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
R
ron Offline
R
I spend 6 months in Caye Caulker and get mail sent to my house in the States forwarded to Belize using Mail Boxes Etc. The US mail forwards my mail to a mail box in Miami which it controlled by mail boxes etc. They send it down via dhl to San Pedro. Rob then puts in on the water taxi to CC. It takes forever to get the mail that way, about a month delay, mostly the US post office. This year was the third year and probably last year I will do this, getting more used to doing things online. Cards and that sort of stuff has been replaced by email or Facebook.

JZB Offline
mailboxforwarding.com works well.

L
LauraV Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks, everyone. Appreciate the thoughts on all that. Very helpful.

Laura

Hello Laura.....We live here year round (like many on this blog) and simply got an address here for our regular mail....we registered in the State we are from along with the Federal Government office and Social Security.... we pay less than $15 US a month.....And for our mail from places where they say 'we don't send out of the country' we use our local Mailboxes etc. ....They have a Miami address you can use and then it gets here quite quickly.....However, Ragman is correct....I usually get Christmas cards in June from the US that people send via Snailmail..... smile

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
Tell your friends not to send you "gifts" without verifying that they are sending something you want bad enough to pay duty to retrieve it.

L
LauraV Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks Judyann and Diane! Appreciate it.

Laura

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (Marty), 101 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,206
Posts500,038
Members20,479
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.