Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Originally Posted by bywarren
Makes one question the intelligence or motives of anyone in favor of spending $100 Million on an airport to bring more people to the island that can't find the money to provide the infrastructure and safety for the current population.

This deserves to be repeated.

And the answer is, drum roll please, GREASY PALMS !!!

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
I will give Minister Heredia the benefit of the doubt since he is Minister of Tourism he might think, wrongly so, that his primary duty is to promote more tourism. That would be correct if not that his duty to those that elected him should be his number one priority. And, that priority should be that the necessary infrastructure to include adequate police and fire protection, available health care, water, electricity, waste disposal, etc. is provided before more demand is placed on those needs by bringing in more people.
Not only is it unfair to the current residents, but in the long run it will actually deminish the attraction of the island to tourists and have the opposite effect of bringing more prosperity.
It is a lost concept with too many in Belize that providing a good quality of life and a pleasant experience for visitors should be provided before the false idea that more jobs and more people are the answer.

When I read articles like this one I feel like I might not be cynical afterall and that believing people are motivated by self-interest, beng distrustful of human sincerity and integrity is just logical.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Originally Posted by elbert
When I read articles like this one I feel like I might not be cynical afterall and that believing people are motivated by self-interest, beng distrustful of human sincerity and integrity is just logical.

Thinking that everybody is selfish is cynical. Thinking that everybody has integrity is naive. Take it one case at a time.

R
R
So did this fade into obscurity? I thought the MOU said they planned a 2019 start on the project?

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
It's still supposed to start in early 2019...

Well look how well the airport in Placencia worked out! Up and running last year as planned!!

Some friends from Canada and I drove up to the Robles area yesterday. Chris was with me years ago when I made my 1st trip way up north. We are both sorry to see so many unfinished projects and abandoned houses while more and more are being constructed.
The beaches are disgustingly dirty.
I went up right after hurricane Earl washed everything off of the beaches --- back into the bush. Now there is not one place that is decent to go into the sea.
The cut off to El Norte (mile 7 1/2) is good and the drive on the beach is improved. We never had to drive in the sea like we used to.

We still have to go around Tranquility Bay, up a little hill and then drop back down to the beach. I still want to take a crew up there and open the cart path up the hill. The 1st 3 houses on the beach look to be abandoned and are falling apart. At the cut-off to the ridge road it looks like the beach is pretty well worn going north. I don't know if it goes around Robles Point or not. Next month I may explore that. The ridge road is still used enough to keep the weeds and bush out of the way and is relatively smooth. Some fresh survey markers are in.

The good news - I'm surprised I have not read anything about this - the worst road was from just before Las Terraza past Journeys End -- has all been graded and topped. Who takes credit for that?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
R
R
Things seems to have gone quiet on this topic again.

Last edited by Ridgebackmix; 05/08/19 05:32 AM.
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 134 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,208
Posts500,040
Members20,483
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.