Next Thread
Print Thread
#19450 06/28/05 08:01 PM
T
thnkart Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi everyone,

I am in the beginning stages of planning 3 nights in a jungle lodge. I am looking for something that has a definate jungle setting.

I have been reading some of the prior posts and understand that it can be very hot in May (when we are going) without ac. What is everyone's feelings on this? I'm assuming there aren't any remote lodges with ac??

I HAVE TO go to tikal!!!!! I found a very reasonable tour company out of San Ignacio but am wondering how you would get from the lodge to there. I guess it would be important that the lodge be kind of close?

Most of the places I've been looking at charge a LOT for transfers from the airport and even MORE for tours to tikal, making this portion of the trip VERY expensive for 3 days. Any suggestions for cutting costs but still enjoying the convienence of a guide/tour?

I would love advice from anyone who has done what I describe. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated as right now I feel like I"m floundering in the DARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks!!!!

S
S
Fuel is $4.50US per gallon and vehicles have a huge duty on them which is why you'll find transportation costs so high. I would check with your lodge, most of them run tours to Tikal, compare costs with your independent operator and see which one is the cheapest.

Most lodges are fairly close to the main road so getting onto the highway out to Tikal is not an issue. Again, contact your hotel and ask them how far time wise they are from the Western Highway (miles from the highway mean nothing as some roads will take much longer than others).

Most of the jungle lodges will charge between $25 - $35 to take you into SI town so it may not be that much of a savings to book a Tikal tour from an independent tour operator over the hotel's tour. Some tour ops from SI will pick you up at one of the lodges but again with a surcharge (for all the reasons Simon listed above). You can do Tikal on your own by taking a taxi to the border and a taxi or mini van on the Guat side for about $75 pp. Doesn't really get much cheaper than that. Transfers from the airport to most of the jungle lodges run about $100 for 1-4 people (some places more, some a bit less depending on the lodge). The only "remote" jungle lodge with A/C is Jaguar Paw but they are quite far from the border, thus Tikal, and I do not think they offer tours there. For A/C in the SI area, you are looking at SI Hotel, Cahal Pech Village & Windy Hill. They are all in or on the outskirts of town. May can be hot - depends on where you are from if you need A/C - if you are used to hot & humid, you may not. It is typically pretty breezy in the Cayo mountains.

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 101 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.