Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The public looks to television newscasts and newspapers as its primary source of factual information about current events while documenting society's history in progress. And a well-written piece can allow a reader to feel the pulse of that community or individuals that inspire change. An old school print journalist is hoping that the ink on the newsprint of his new publication will be a welcome addition to your coffee table or your office desk. Glenn Tillett told News Five about his new newspaper called Independent.

Glenn Tillett, Publisher of Independent

"As an avid reader, I've been dissatisfied with the newspapers generally in Belize-the ones that are available on a weekly basis. I believe there are a lot of areas that are not covered and I have newspapers in my blood. I've always been one of the ink stain scribes and that's all I always wanted to be."

Jose Sanchez

"You brought some experience from Amandala-I know you've been there for a while a long time ago."

Glenn Tillett

Glenn Tillett

"Yeah well I started in the business part time as a sixth form student in 1977. I worked with the Amandala for a couple of years before going to the United States. I came back and I was the editor of the Amandala for almost five years after."

Jose Sanchez

"The title of the paper, the Independent; why the Independent?"

Glenn Tillett

"Because it's intended to be independent. It will be independent opinions, a variety of opinions, but independent as in we won’t cult out or to any partisan political lines."

Jose Sanchez

"But we can't escape the fact that we are at the Vibes. Some people will say Glenn can't escape his P.U.P. ties."

Glenn Tillett

"Well I think it was a great philosopher who said no man can escape his destiny. It is one of those things where with the passage of time hopefully-god's spearing life-those opinions will change."

Jose Sanchez

"So in addition to highlighting what parties do well, you will be showing inefficiencies of P.U.P., U.D.P., V.I.P.; whichever parties there are?"

Glenn Tillett

"We will cover the issues-as fairly and objectively as we can."

Jose Sanchez

"And with investigative reporting?"

Glenn Tillett

"Hopefully with investigative reporting. You know from experience that is a dicey proposition."

Jose Sanchez

"How often will the Independent be out and where is it available?"

Glenn Tillett

"We're hoping to start as a weekly and if the economy should turn around, perhaps we can come out more often than that. As for availability, it will be available on the streets at all your regular newsstands and of course by subscription. There will be a website; you know the usual IT adjunct node that is now required."

The first issue is available at the regular newspaper outlets.

Channel 5

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Glenn Goes "Independent" - But Is It For Real?

If the Amandala, Reporter, Belize Times and Guardian are not enough for you - welcome to the club. Glenn Tillett, a former editor of the Amandala says it was not enough for him either. So he's started his own paper, the Independent he told us what vacuum it will fill in the market:..

Glenn Tillett, the Independent Newspaper
"It is a reluctant return. There are health concerns - personal health concerns. The physical toll is daunting to say the least and could be devastating, but I am an ink stain scribe, I cannot describe myself as any other."

"I feel that there are many areas of our lives here in Belize that are basically not covered in the newspapers especially arts and culture, entertainment, business, finance and social happenings."

Jules Vasquez
"Because you have appeared in previous media incarnations as an opposition media person, the allegation or accusation would be that it's just a PUP newspaper in another clothing."

Glenn Tillett
"Based off recently history I suppose it would be warranted but in all such things time will tell, the truth will be out."

Jules Vasquez
"The National Perspective - I didn't see it on Friday, I am told it is terminally ill. So is this a replacement for the National Perspective in the PUP matrix?"

Glenn Tillett
"I suppose for some it's coincidental, for me its serendipity."

Jules Vasquez
"But is one thing related to the other. Are the people who backed the Perspective now going to back the Independent?"

Glenn Tillett
"No, the Independent is backed by me, by my good friend Joe Coye, who has been my partner in many of my endeavors and the general city of my relatives. There is not a single cent of Lord Ashcroft's money in the Independent."

Jules Vasquez
"Will you be picking up other writers such as the elusive "Gordon Smith" from the Perspective?"

Glenn Tillett
"I don't know about Gordon Smith Jules, but I do intend to introduce an entire new cadre of writers to Belize."

Jules Vasquez
"Will you be able to be as the masthead declares "independent?""

Glenn Tillet
"I am not only optimistic and I am not only confident, I am very determine that I will be independent."

Jules Vasquez
"So we can hold you to that?"

Glenn Tillett
"Please do."

Turns out The National Perspective which we mentioned in that story - has not gone out of business. The paper sent a release this evening which says the National Perspective will be going "GREEN". The paper will be launched its new electronic newspaper version formatted in the model of an actual newspaper which will be distributed by via emails. It hopes to distribute two editions weekly.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

PUP activist Glenn Tillet to launch newspaper

PUP activist Glenn Tillett says he is launching his own newspaper. Tillett says that he is dissatisfied with the weekly newspapers as, in his view, a lot of areas that need to be covered are not. Tillett is one of Belize's veteran journalists in the print business. He worked for the Amandala while he was a teen and later became editor for the Amandala for about five years. The name of the paper is the Independent and Tillett says that's because, even with his PUP ties, he plans to be objective.

Glenn Tillet
As an avid reader, I have become a little bit tired of the weekly newspapers; I feel that there are many areas of our lives here in Belize that are not covered in the newspapers, especially Arts and Culture, entertainment, business, finance and social happenings. I have become a little bit tired by the steady diet of politics and crime. We hope that we can bring a different perspective as well as more coverage to our lives here in Belize.

Juelz Vasquez, Channel 7
The accusation would be that it is just a PUP newspaper in another clothing.

Glenn Tillet
Based on recent history, I suppose it would be warranted. But in all such things, time will tell.

Tillett says the plan is to have a weekly publication.

Glenn Tillet
It will affect quality, but I believe going forward that we will attract more in terms of capital to be able to fund the necessary resources that we will need to maintain the consistency in terms of the quality of the publication. It will take patience, hard work, determination, true string budget and yes under resources. I'm not only optimistic and I am not only confident, but I am very determined that I will be independent.

Juelz Vasquez
So we can hold you to that?

Glenn Tillet
Please do.

The paper comes out on Friday and the cost is one dollar.

PlusTV

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
January 8th issue of the Independent

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
January 15th issue of the Independent

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
January 29th issue of the Independent

Has an article on the front about the attack on AmbergrisCaye.com

The Independent is politically nonpartisan and is published in Belize City by Glenn Tillet is available in San Pedro at Ritchie's Supermarket, Caye Mart, Superbuy, Lourdes Store, San Pedrano, Island Super Market, Marina's, War Paint, Milo's, Jaimie's Store, La Isla Supermarket and San Juan Internet.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The February 5th, 2012 issue of The Independent is online HERE

This Week's Stories:

• Referendum Rebuffed!
  • Man murdered in Caribbean Shores
  • Photo exhibit opens at the Mexican Embassy
  • More than just a rememberance: Ariel Rosado Foundation inaugurated
  • 1st Police Youth Cadet Corps drill competition
  • Lands Department opened late past 3 weeks
  • Coye-Marin case adjourned - claimants a no-show
  • Cop dupes ex-cop and another man with bogus gun license documents
  • Man grazed by bullet: "I am not scared; I don't have any problem with anyone"
  • Responsibility and duty
  • The Elections
  • Whither Mark Espat?
  • Just Sayin'... Little girl go home
  • Questions: Why did the Prime Minister appeal for a peaceful election?
  • BLUE NOTES: How do we vote? Party, Policy, Person or �
  • Financial Sense: It is never too early to plan for the future financially
  • State of the Arts: La Luna, Las Sandias y Ellas
  • Trinidad's Warner launches national petition to resume hangings
  • Mexico police take refuge from Juarez drug gangs
  • Venezuela's oil exports to US decline
  • Twocanview - a Belizean American blog debuts
  • San Pedro Beat
  • Investing in a corrupt economy
  • San Pedro Politics
  • Jawmeighan continues to dominate
  • International motorcross comes to Belize

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 130 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.