Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40929 06/16/01 05:37 PM
C
cannon Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I know this is an Ambergris Caye message board, but I have been researching both ac and caye caulker for a long time, and I think that I can better afford caye caulker. so could you ac people be so kind as to tell me what you know personally about caye caulker, best beaches, best view of sea, I've seen most of the motels, but not a lot of them show their overall view and location, maybe places not to stay, etc. etc, any opinions will be greatly appreciated. thanks Oregon Duck

A
A
We stayed on Caye Caulker at the end of our trip and had a fantastic time. If you want a nice place to stay, $25 a night, look for Mara's it's practically right across from Frenchies dive shop at he north end. Clean little place with hammocks and right near the end of the island where it splits. Also, as Caye Caulker is much smaller than San Pedro, to walk anywhere is no problem. The Lazy Lizard bar is a close and great for watching the sunsets, and there's a good place to swim right in front of that.
It's very small but that also means things are a little cheaper, we did a Turneffe day dive trip for almost half of what it cost on Ambergris.
Don't miss the swing bar, it's fun but defintely would be an insurance nightmare here in the states. Drunk people on swings???

And from what I heard there is a guy that has the little Palapa boat that does some awesome tours, look for his sign when you get off the water taxi. Some friends we met there were telling us all about the things he does, grills out fresh fish, on the boat, after snorkling. Sounded great but alas we found out on our last night. Try to find him.
Enjoy!
Also, if you're intersted I have a few Caye Caulker picts posted for the people we met there. http://members5.clubphoto.com/m374205/Belize_It_Caye_Caulker/
Enjoy!!

We have some friends who live on Caye Caulker... And could probally help you all out alot.. Give us an email... [email protected] And we'll talk,,
Thanks, Rick

C
cannon Offline OP
OP Offline
C
thanks for your replies. Rick, i emailed you, if it didn't go thru, please let me know thru this message board. Could you please tell me where Mara's is located on the island. Thanks

If you've been researching Caulker for awhile, you probably know which places travelers (and travel writers) consider the best. (Naturally, not all would agree, but this is the probably the concensus.) All of these are on or very close to the water on the front (Caribbean side of the island), except for Iguana Reef, which faces the back side. They're arranged roughly from north to south:

Budget: Under US$30
Moderate: US$30-75
Expensive: Over US$75

Mara's (Budget)
Iguana Reef (Expensive)
Chocolate's (Moderate)
Trend's Beach Hotel (Budget-Moderate)
Seaside Cabanas (Moderate)
Seabeezz (Budget)
Treetops (Budget-Moderate)
Tom's (Budget-Moderate)
Seaside (Moderate)
Anchorage (Moderate)
Shirley's (Moderate)

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
A
A
Mara's Place is the almost the last place on the north end of the island, right before the split, right on the beach. I'm not sure if there is anything on the other side of the split like there is in San Pedro, but I don't think so. Correct me if I'm wrong, there might be residential but I don't think it's a destination spot w/places to stay.
Not sure what you consider expensive but I think for the price it was great. And it also depends on what you're looking for, there are some nicer more expensive places but believe me there are also alot of cheaper and, well, not so nice places.

Good luck and be open for anything, our friends changed hotels a couple of times before they got one they liked.

C
cannon Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Dear Lan and AC bound, thanks for the info. Have either of you seen or heard of Seaview that is located to the south of the village, between Anchorage and Tom's hotel.I have seen their website, but nobody has mentioned them in any of the info. I have received. Thanks for your time.

Actually, I listed Seaview, but I accidentally typed "Seaside" again instead of Seaview. It's a place owned by Fred Probst, who used to run the popular Seaside Guest House in Belize City and after that a budget place in Cayo. I've not stayed there, but I have visited. It is a pleasant place on the water at the south end of the village as you say near Tom's and Anchorage. I hear mostly good things about it from folks who stay there.

The thing about Caulker is that unless you going during a busy time such as Easter or Christmas you generally can just walk around and find a place that suits you.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
M
M
Lan,or anyone in the know.we are also looking into staying on Caulker,although we love AC. Before I search all the hotel sites, do you know if any of them have pools? We love the ocean, but also enjoy sitting by a pool. Thanks!

Mary and Scott
Can't think of any place with a pool on Caulker. At one time the rumor was that Iguana Reef was going to install a pool, but it hasn't to date.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (Donald), 137 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.