AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Moon No heels.....but extra T-shirts? - 12/05/05 06:01 PM
Countdown is on and we'll be there Friday! On a couple of threads I've been told that you can't walk on AC in heels and that you need to wear a T-shirt for snorkelling - are both of these true or is someone playing games with me?? We've got SPF30 sunscreen and 15 and 8 for once we've got a bit of a tan, but I'm not sure if you're allowed to wear sunscreen in the water, b/c of pollution to coral and sea life.

This is our first trip to A/C so we're pretty much clueless!

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Moon
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: No heels.....but extra T-shirts? - 12/05/05 06:07 PM
i never wear a t shirt snorkling. yes, for the most part on vacation here you would probably not want heals. However we do wear them, usually for special occasion or when we get dressed up all sexy to go out. Takes awhile to learn to walk in heals on in the sand.

You can wear sunscreen in the water.
Posted By: Moon Re: No heels.....but extra T-shirts? - 12/05/05 06:15 PM
THANK YOU!!!! THINK SOMEONE WAS PULLING MY LEG!!!
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: No heels.....but extra T-shirts? - 12/05/05 06:21 PM
NO, most people who vacation here will tell you not to wear heals... I think they were telling you what they felt was the truth. Few wear them but if you are going out late at night and really wanna dress up you might want them.
Posted By: WhiteWater Re: No heels.....but extra T-shirts? - 12/05/05 06:33 PM
I don't think your leg was being pulled, but I'm pretty sure there are no actual laws on these issues. :-)

If you have a wedge heel, bring those instead of spikes. Easier to get through the sand. And bring your cheap pair, shoes get ruined pretty easily.

If you want to put a t-shirt on to guard against a sunburn, probably a good idea. I have heard from many sources that all the sunscreen we put on is damaging the marine environment. I also *think* I heard that it can help if you apply the sunscreen an hour before you get in the water. You're supposed to put it on 1/2 before being in the sun anyway, so it can't hurt.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: No heels.....but extra T-shirts? - 12/05/05 06:35 PM
where have you been hiding? it;s been over a month and we have not ran into each other!
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: No heels.....but extra T-shirts? - 12/05/05 09:06 PM
I wouldn't take heels to San Pedro. Never mind that you cannot walk in the sand with heels, but they would be pretty thrashed with the dust and rocks on the road. Thongs, tevas and possibly tennis shoes are all you need.
Posted By: WhiteWater Re: No heels.....but extra T-shirts? - 12/05/05 10:04 PM
I know! Seems impossible.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: No heels.....but extra T-shirts? - 12/05/05 10:33 PM
my heals are all still in great shape, it';s just dust and sand and are fine when I get them home/wipe them off. If you are a young female and like to go out at night to the clubs and have room, bring them if that is what you like to wear.
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: No heels.....but extra T-shirts? - 12/05/05 11:20 PM
True Ke, maybe it is because I am not a young female, but rather, a middle aged female - LOL! Wouldn't want to fall and break my neck on vacation.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: No heels.....but extra T-shirts? - 12/05/05 11:55 PM
The best heels are the ones right behind your toes. I never wear shoes unless I am leaving the island. If you are a tenderfoot choose sandals or thongs. Shoes simply fill up with sand.
For snorkeling a T-shirt does not cover the back of your legs. I suggest what is called a Lycra skin that covers your entire body. You can buy an inexpensive one at a dive shop.
Sun burns are no fun - I know as I am now suffering. I had my guest were sun screen, take long sleeves and long pants on our all day catamaran snorkel trip. Of course I knew I would just stay out of the sun. HA HA - I had forgotten how impossible that is. It is one week and I am still scratching my back.
eek
Posted By: SimonB Re: No heels.....but extra T-shirts? - 12/06/05 12:05 AM
For reference to heels in San Pedro visit Jaguar's on Saturday night. Not only are they possible they're de rigueur.
Posted By: klcman Re: No heels.....but extra T-shirts? - 12/06/05 12:08 AM
and some of those heels are filled with some mighty fine specimens of the female persuasion!
Posted By: seashell Re: No heels.....but extra T-shirts? - 12/06/05 12:48 AM
high heels or no high heels, a person most definitely wants to be wearing some kind of decent shoes in the dance clubs. I'm talking about broken glass, sticky floors and stuff that just happens, same as at home.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: No heels.....but extra T-shirts? - 12/06/05 01:49 AM
many young females like wearing heals to the clubs, I like dancing in sexy heals...

I think you should bring them, cause you can always decide not to wear them but if you don't have them you do not have the option. I wear heals quite often now here.
Posted By: Moon Re: No heels.....but extra T-shirts? - 12/06/05 02:14 AM
Thanks everyone! I'm bringing them, just because I don't often wear them! I can walk up the beach barefoot and slip them on when I get to the bar/restaurant, or take a pair of flip flops in my bag!!

Thanks ke, your's was the swing vote there, although I almost took them out of the bag after LaurieMar's post, being in the same boat age-wise and all!! Here's to hoping I don't break my neck!!!

See you all at the weekend!

Moon smile
Posted By: 1BKeeper Re: No heels.....but extra T-shirts? - 12/06/05 02:17 AM
I think that "young" and/or "sexy" must be the deciding words on the heels! I tried wearing some dressier sandals ONCE and they seemed to attract sand grains only in the tightest places! Now I only carry flipflops. I even wear a pair on the plane with flipflop socks until we get away from the winter cold! Also, the sand is coral sand...not the soft powdery sand I am used to on some of the Carolina beaches.
Determine the need for a tee shirt while snorkling by how much protection you need from the sun. The sun is pretty intense. I am always amazed at how I go from winter to summer in a few hours. I love it!
Have a great trip!
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: No heels.....but extra T-shirts? - 12/06/05 02:24 AM
they need to be open toe heels. with maybe a strap in the back, all mine are like that and hold in no sand...
Posted By: Moon Re: No heels.....but extra T-shirts? - 12/06/05 08:25 PM
Yes ke, mine are just slip on - a band of leather across the middle of the foot, open toes and heels. I've got another pair so I'll just bring the older ones! Girl wants to look a little glam on holiday!!
Posted By: klcman Re: No heels.....but extra T-shirts? - 12/06/05 09:09 PM
Moon - ya be stressing/obsessing on this too much - go, chill, relax - it ain't like going to Beantown for da weekend! laugh
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: No heels.....but extra T-shirts? - 12/06/05 10:06 PM
Moon,

ah no tink u be stressin. Gial, open heal fine so long as open toe too.

Betta bring dehn wit u den not.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board