Posted By: Marty Symptoms of dog poisoning - 02/25/11 02:38 PM
1. Trying to lick something off of their tongue
2. Drooling thich saliva
3. Tremmors
4. Foaming at mouth
5. Rapid Heartbeat
6. Convulsions

From a friend....

I was called a few moments ago by a neighbour who lives between Tres Cocos and Buena Vista who told me that her dog had been poisoned and I was asked to alert the vet, which I did, the dog is now with the vet. I have no other details as to why this is thought to be a poisoning. More information will follow as soon as we have been given an update. Please inform your friends and neighbours with pets, and keep them safe.
Posted By: Katie Valk Re: Symptoms of dog poisoning - 02/25/11 04:27 PM
I think the antidote, depending on the type of poison, is atropine. Have some handy.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Symptoms of dog poisoning - 02/25/11 04:52 PM
where do we get this atropine?
Posted By: Katie Valk Re: Symptoms of dog poisoning - 02/25/11 06:59 PM
Drug store should have it, for humans too. Saga, new vet out there or certainly at Animal Medical Centre in Belize City 223 3781, Dr Jane Crawford.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Symptoms of dog poisoning - 02/25/11 07:14 PM
ATROPINE - yes that is the name.
Posted By: bywarren Re: Symptoms of dog poisoning - 02/26/11 12:09 AM
Anyone who truly cares for their pet would not attempt to administer drugs without consulting with a vet.
If I suspected my dog was poisoned, I would induce vomiting with a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water and get it to a vet asap.
There is a reason vets spend years learning what drugs and in what dose to administer. And, they are better trained to advise you on administering drugs than someone on this message board.
Posted By: Cooper Re: Symptoms of dog poisoning - 02/26/11 04:31 AM
BYWARREN..
I have seen and held and tried to help to many dogs poisoned here in Belize and only once was able to get veterinarian care late at night. Poisonings rarely happen during regular business hours but If a particular neighborhood is under attack by a poisoner I would have one of the animals autopsied..Dr.Jane Crawford does that for about $70.BZE and have the meds needed to treat in your neighborhood group. Atropine is good..also charcoal..and injecting Valium or anything to slow down the respiratory system...but finding out what the poison is can save lives...I am so sorry for what is going on in your area....alot of emergency care is is like bush doctoring...but if this continues I would strongly suggest autopsy to find out the poison.
Posted By: natalie p Re: Symptoms of dog poisoning - 02/26/11 12:07 PM
Last year in January when many dogs were victims of poisoning, a vet was not available anywhere.Both vets in San Pedro were out of town. It was a Saturday. We called other areas of Belize as well and couldn't find any until several dogs had died.Of course the best thing would be to get the animal to a vet ASAP, but when one is not available, we have to do what we can.If my dog was poisoned I wouldn't sit there, do nothing, and watch it die if a vet was unavailable.
Posted By: Katie Valk Re: Symptoms of dog poisoning - 02/26/11 06:59 PM
In the absence of a vet, you can read the dosages by weight on the label. Atropine is a broad spectrum antidote for most poisons. Some poisons do not respond to atropine, such as when a dog eats currasow bones, snake bite, etc. You do what you can with what you have available.
Posted By: bywarren Re: Symptoms of dog poisoning - 02/27/11 12:25 AM
I stand by my first statement "Anyone who truly cares for their pet would not administer drugs without consulting a vet".
If I had a pet here I would consult with my vet as to what to do in their absence if I suspected poisoning.
To suggest someone not trained as a vet can suggest a drug and administer it by reading the label is irresponsible.
I hope that does not encourage anyone reading this message board to do so. There are vets here on the island that can advise you. I don't go to my vet to get advice on what hotel to stay in.
Posted By: kerry Re: Symptoms of dog poisoning - 02/27/11 01:49 AM
don't know if it is ok for animals, but to induce vomiting in humans, ipecac does the trick...
Posted By: natalie p Re: Symptoms of dog poisoning - 02/27/11 12:18 PM
Ipecac is rarely available in Belize. Actually, Bywarren is correct, talk with your vet about what is the best thing to do in the absence of veterinary care if a pet is poisoned. I did. Because I am an RN, I may have been given directions not suitable for lay persons. It would be great if a vet could publish what to do in a periodical so that everyone could be aware of the best actions to take in the absence of a vet.
Posted By: Katie Valk Re: Symptoms of dog poisoning - 02/27/11 02:19 PM
Some poisons should not be expelled by induced vomiting.
Posted By: bywarren Re: Symptoms of dog poisoning - 02/28/11 07:58 PM
Advice straight from a vet.

WHAT TO DO IF YOU PET HAS BEEN POISIONED.

I try not to get involved in message boards especially the www.ambergriscaye.com site. I find they are a lot of gossip with very little accurate information.
Now I am hearing third hand that there has been quite a discussion on a message board on what to do if your dog is poisoned. Naturally the participants never thought of approaching a vet.

My initial response was this: Why has no one emailed me or called me and asked me this question if it is so important to them? Why has no one from a newspaper come to ask me these questions and publish an article? I have made myself more than available. I have my cell phone number published and have made myself available 24 hours a day for questions and assistance for people with pets all over Belize.

That said, here is some information for concerned pet owners:

Symptoms of poisons in our pets:

vomiting
diarrhea
bleeding from nose or mouth, blood in urine, diarrhea or vomit
stumbling, falling
changes in mentation - lack of responsiveness, confusion, panic
tremors, seizures, muscle twitching or spasms
elevated body temperature
low body temperature
salivation
listlessness

If your pet shows these signs they may have ingested a toxin. Or they may have an infectious disease or some other illness. Only a veterinarian will be able to make an educated assessment of what has happened.

Toxin ingestions that I have seen or suspected in the last two years I have been in Belize:

organophosphate insecticide
strychnine
rodenticide ("rat bait")
toad
unknown (this is most of them)

The first thing you should do if you think your pet was poisoned and he is showing any of these symptoms is get him to a veterinarian as soon as possible. If you cannot reach a veterinarian you should do the following:

1) take your pet's temperature rectally. If it is 105 or higher you should immediately cool him down with cool water. Once the temperature reaches 103 you should stop. Continuing can result in an excessive drop in body temperature and hypothermia. Never use ice cubes. If your pet's tempurature is less than 99 degrees he is in shock. At this point the body is shutting down and only emergency treatments for shock by a veterinarian has the possibility of saving him.

2) If your pet has not vomited you may induce vomiting by giving hydrogen peroxide. Several tablespoons by mouth will often do the trick. If you induce vomiting when your pet is seizuring or neurologically affected in any way he could choke on the vomit and die, so only induce vomiting if your pet is awake and alert and has a swallow reflex.

3) Give activated charcoal by mouth. This is not the same as the charcoal we cook with. It will bind the toxins that remain in the GI tract. Again, you should not do this if your pet is showing any neurologic signs.

4) The "Antidote" - People on the message board want the "Antidote" information. The "antidote" to organophosphate insecticide toxicity is called atropine. The dose is 0.02-2 mg/kg, depending on symptoms and the amount ingested. It is given SQ, IM, or IV. However, a word of warning: Atropine will not cure your dog. Just ask Michelle and George. Their dog Audrey was poisoned last year and they went to Belize City for treatment because I had not arrived back from Costa Rica yet. She received atropine and was discharged. She later seized on the plane back to San Pedro. She arrived at my hospital limp and blue and struggling to breathe. Miraculously we were able to save her with Oxygen, IV fluids for shock, and pentobarbitol (an IV anesthetic used for seizures).

I understand that people in San Pedro are very self-sufficient, but one thing that must be understood is that TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE. A dog who is seizuring and has a temp of 105 may survive. If you mess around at home trying to save him for 30 minutes his temp may rise to the point that he may not be saved. He may suffer from hypoxia as the seizures deprive his brain of oxygen, or any one of many other deadly possibilities may develop.

It is foolish to do anything other than drive directly to the vet if one is available.

Share This Article
Posted By: Cooper Re: Symptoms of dog poisoning - 03/01/11 04:40 AM
by warren..I would like to hear about how you helped your poisoned dogs..What dogs you had and how many and how you went about saving them . I have had 4 poisoned saved two, others have had some as well and we dont seem to have the answer so did yours survive? Mine always happened after midnight....NO VET...have you ever seen the actual death of a strychnine dog??? Who do you call at 3 a.m.........................because 4 am is to late
Our Local dog saver injects Valium..if atropine is not available...get charcoal capsules from the pharmacy..mabe 10 of them..then again the pharmacy is not open in the mid of nite. Open the capsules and dilute them with enough water to get it down the throat...oh shit..its so damn hard to save a stricnine dog just hold them until you cant..love them and help their demise as best you can...those that have lived it will know the feeling of panic and dispear...
You never plan for it,,it just enters your life like the worst nightmare...
Posted By: bywarren Re: Symptoms of dog poisoning - 03/01/11 03:46 PM
I don't bring my dog here. She stays back in the States when I am away. I posted the comments from the local vet here in San Pedro hoping that might help some if a vet is not available.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Symptoms of dog poisoning - 03/01/11 06:44 PM
Warren - thank you thank you thank you. That is what we have been asking for. Are you a vet or are these instructions from the vet here?

To critics:
If you have never had to hold a living thing that you love while it dies you can only guess at the pain.
Please don't insult us by accusing anyone of perposely avoiding going to the vet. At a hysterical time like that each of us are operating on every level possible.

Now that we have better information any one of use can be more prepared. I certainly will put together an emergency first aid kit for my one surviving dog. (I've lost one in each of the three posionings.)

I'm going to call Pampered Paws and see if they will arrange one for me and maybe others.
Posted By: GwenA Re: Symptoms of dog poisoning - 03/02/11 12:53 AM
Please people, as I have held an animal while she died in my arms (not from poisoning) let's get over this problem with our Vets. We have a serial killer in our midst, if not more than one.
Laurie Droke will help you, if she is on the Island....instantly. I have had that experience, when dear Mona was sick.
Get over the stupid "vet wars". I have always supported SAGA and made my choice of where to take my pet on my personal recipe...SAGA first-to support SAGA, Dr. Droke when I thought she could be of most help. Not everybody has that choice, so that makes your choice!
Stop this childish war about "the vets ".
If your dog is dying, call any vet you can get! Dr Laurie, will get to you if she is available! I used to be an emergency responder for Mental Health for a hospital, on call! When I was on call, I was on call!
SAGA doesn't have on call help. Laurie is as on call as it gets for San Pedro!
Also, not all of my patients liked me...that wasn't the criterion for them to get help by me. They learned that, I cared for them whether they liked me, or whether I liked them! If I always responded and did the best I could, that's as good as it gets!
Laurie will do that for your pet. She will get out of bed, and care for your pet at any hour.
I'm sorry she is defensive, and gets in her own way by questioning how badly she has been treated or pointing out how unappreciated she is...
I hope she gets over this.
But, in any case....she will save your pet...if it can be saved, and she has the resources....so. San Pedro pet lovers make your choice.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Symptoms of dog poisoning - 03/02/11 01:13 AM
Gwen - have I missed something? Was something posted then erased? I don't see anything here about one vet or another.
I'm very grateful to who ever it was that wrote out the instructions for us. thank you
Posted By: GwenA Re: Symptoms of dog poisoning - 03/02/11 01:53 AM
Sorry, I'm confused. I did see a bunch of instructions before, but I don't see them now.
Don't treat your own animals. My brother is a Vet, I worked as a vet Tech for years, I even got the privilege to work in the Vet Hospital at the National Zoo. (last job before going to Grad school in Psychology).
I'm not sure about the vet issue, but I have read posts on two boards, and it seems to be that, somehow, some people are advising to treat poisonings yourselves! And avoid taking animals to Dr Laurie.
Another Board is advising against "planning to treat" poisonings at home.
I'm just trying to say! (understanding triage) Get emergency help from a Vet!
Dr Laurie, also made a posting to that effect, but I'm not sure on which board, and she gave some triage advice, and then said get your animal to the Vet ASAP.
My first job as a biologist was to work for the US Fish and Wildlife Service, at Patuxent Research Center. I researched the effects of pesticides on wildlife. The worst poisons ever perpetrated on the world have been organochlorines, organophosphates, heavy metals (mercury, lead, etc) and PCB's. So,if someone is poisoning our pets, with any of these, we must fight them, whether they are a local thug, or if they are just a fool
Posted By: GwenA Re: Symptoms of dog poisoning - 03/02/11 02:09 AM
Unless I haven't made myself clear...if your pet is in a life threatening situation any hour of the day or night you can call Dr Laurie as a first call for help! There is no guarantee she is here on the Island...but, nobody else is here for emergency services...
Posted By: collyk Re: Symptoms of dog poisoning - 03/02/11 02:24 AM
How strange. I can see all of the instructions, which are gratefully received by all above very clearly. I'm not sure where there has been a war. I think everyone in San Pedro is very pleased we have two veterinary services.
Posted By: Tim Callanan Re: Symptoms of dog poisoning - 03/02/11 09:17 PM
We are fortunate to have Saga and Laurie
god bless them both XX
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board