The Police Department has been carrying out a series of trainings in community policing throughout the country and this week, the last of six courses is taking place at the Belize Institute of Management. Thirty Special Constables are participating in the program, in which they are coached on how to better cope with the day to day stresses and risks associated with the job. The Facilitator, Fermin Olivera, has taken an interactive approach, engaging the group in different activities where they play out different scenarios they might encounter. According to the Program Coordinator, Douglas Hyde and the Special Constables, the training sessions are a necessity and should be held more often.

Douglas Hyde, Program Coordinator, Police Department

Douglas Hyde

"It's focusing on working with police constables, special constables and likewise community leaders. The special constables have been split in two where the focus is with the City Council Special Constables and also the Police Constables. There's a total of thirty participants and it is very important that we do this because we realize more and more that the work carried out by the community leaders and also the special constables are very important. Topics that are covered are leadership skills, anger management, conflict resolution, value and ethics and very much important public relations."

Barrington Brown

Barrington Brown, Special Constable, 1 � Years

"It's something I wanted to do a long time ago. So each day is a challenge that we learn and go from day to day. Sometimes we're down, it brings us up and help us to grow stronger."

Delahnie Bain

"Do you find the things that you're learning hear help you when you're out in the field?"

Barrington Brown

"Sure, I do. I mean in our everyday life our homes and our work place; wherever we are the things that we're learning here today really help us to strengthen ourselves and to grow stronger."

Nakisha Usher

Nakisha Usher, Special Constable, 3 Years

"So far it's good, very proactive. I like the terms of the course that we are taking, anger management, and how to work with my fellow co-workers and my officers for instance. If he scolds me for something that I have done wrong, or something that I have said wrong or my attitude toward the people that visit the station, I know how to treat them better."

Channel 5