It upsets me when people try to justify the crime, or lack of it, on AC by comparing it to some of the worse cities for crime. At one time AC could have been used to compare a place with practically zero crime. That is not the case now. And trying to justify the level of crime by saying it is worse in other places only prevents a realistic appraisal and that level of complacency does not lead to correcting the problem.
I am not so nieve to think that AC will ever be as safe and crime free as it was 42 years ago when I first visited here, but I hate to see people accept and try to justify the crime level now by saying it is worse elsewhere.
The level of crime on this island compared to what it should be is a major problem. Just look at the number of posts on this message board telling of crimes. Just read the newspaper reports of crimes. For me it is at an unacceptable level and I am not willing to accept it because it is worse in other places. I am not so sure that if crimes here were measured on a per capita basis that many places could say they were safer than AC.