Unless your "inside info" called the hit I would surely doubt it. Hits are clean and fast and do not ever involve rage and anger and the chance of leaving DNA. Even if that were to be true it does not reflect on San Pedro as it had nothing to do with us.
San Pedro is not as safe as it once was. Robbery and burglaries have increased even though the reports may have decreased. Violent crimes against a tourist are very rare, to the point that they make big news. Violent crimes amongst locals has increased some but San Pedro has always had lots of fights at night over girls/boys and such after everyone is very well drunk. As the economy contracts petty thievery, robbery and burglary increase.
Fortunately crimes against children are being reported more.
Because of the public lack of confidence in the police reported crime does not necessarily coincide with actual crime. The only meaningful statistic that we can get from the police is the conviction rate. For murder it is around 7%. They dont give the stats on other types of crime but I can imagine. This is a direct reflection of their level of training along with systemic problems.
If you KNOW the police will not be effective why would you bother to subject yourself to the often rude treatment you receive at the police station to report a crime. The recent discussion on the attempted theft of the golf cart and how it was handled is an example. Our decline in reported crime in San Pedro is more likely related to confidence in our police rather than the crime rate but does not make this an unsafe place for visitors by any definition, it remains, in my opinion, one of the safest places in the world.