FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 5
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

San Pedro Town Council brings Christmas Cheers to the children of San Pedro
The San Pedro Town Council, led by Mayor Daniel Guerrero, was busy on Friday afternoon December 20th, giving out gifts to the children of San Pedro Town. Joining the mayor on his Christmas 'sleigh' were elves (councilors) Kenrick Brackett and Wally Nu�ez as well as members of the San Pedro Traffic Department and a few other volunteers. Santa (Mayor Guerrero) first directed his reindeer to San Mateo where over 500 gifts were distributed to the children in the area. There were gifts for boys and girls of all ages: from the small babes in arms as well as young teenagers. The happy children smiled as they each got a gift courtesy of the San Pedro Town Council.

Sweet Pain rocks the palapa at Fido's
Fido's Courtyard was the place to be on Saturday December 21st, as fans from all over the island gathered to attend the Pre Christmas Cultural Concert. For a cover charge of $20, fans got to enjoy a night filled with live punta music, from Dangriga's Sweet Pain Band, whose performance was their debut show in San Pedro Town. The band played right into the wee hours of the morning, as the crowd danced the night away. And of course there was no shortage of drinks as the Fido's bar kept the drinks coming all night long. Congratulations to Fido's for hosting yet another great show and to Sweet Pain Band for delivering a night filled with great music.

DFC brings Christmas to the children of San Mateo
The Development Finance Corporation (DFC) hosted a day filled with treats and presents for the children of San Mateo and neighboring communities on Saturday December 21st. Over 200 presents were distributed to the kids who gathered at the grounds of the Paradise Movie Theatre. In addition to presents the children also received cupcakes, nachos, refreshments and a picture with Santa Claus himself. Kudos to DFC for your generous Christmas spirit this holiday season.

San Pedro Lions and Leos spread more Christmas Cheer
With the Christmas holidays in full swing, the San Pedro Lions and Leos Club were out in San Pedro Town on Sunday, December 22nd spreading some Christmas cheer with their annual Christmas Caroling. The caroling started at Boca del Rio Park, and as the carolers made their way through Laguna Drive heading to the town core, children ran up to them. Of course the Lions did not come empty handed, and they handed out sweets and apples to the crowd. Isn't Christmas Caroling without some music however, and Rompe Raja was present, bringing classic Christmas carols to life with an island twist. All the families of the area were happy to share the Christmas spirit and even joined along in the merry parade.

Ambergris Today

Pic of the Week: Santa Claus Caught Vacationing in Belize
After the long night's work of spreading the joy of Christmas around the world, Santa decided to take a well deserved vacation in Belize. As seen in these pictures, Santa was spotted sinking his feet in the sandy beaches, fishing and cruising by the lagoon side. The Staff of Ambergris Today wishes everybody a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Misc Belizean Sources

Merry Christmas and may God bless Belize
There are times when words are just not enough to convey the warms and gratitude one feels. Christmas is one of those times. But as I am thankful for to God for giving me life to celebrate another season where we reflect on the birht of Christ, I also give Him thanks for all my family and friends who help to keep me firmly grounded. So from me to each and every one of you: MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Blogs

"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" from San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize.
It's Christmas Day morning so what am I doing here on the first floor, lagoon facing (western side) veranda ? Writing this Christmas Day edition of the blog that's what! Told you I can get a bit OCD didn't I. I will let you know what yesterday held for Rose and I (if you are interested) but first I just want to say "Have yourself a merry little Christmas " (OK that's the song title for the headline out of the way!). I mentioned in yesterday's edition that I got an early - and most welcome- Christmas present that arrived in the post. Well yesterday Rose and I got some more early presents when Ofel Flota turned up at the house around 10.00 hours with Moses and Pablo. And our bed. And our night stands. And (yes there was more) our curtain rods. None of them were wrapped but who cared! But it got better than the stuff just being delivered because Moses and Pablo assembled the furniture and fitted the curtain rods ( I now know what Rose is going to be doing after Christmas. Making the curtains!).

International Sources

Very Stormy Weather For The Lesser Antilles Will Spread Into The Western Caribbean On Friday & The Gulf Of Mexico On Saturday
I received some weather reports from the island of Saint Lucia that there was some very stormy weather there last night. This severe weather, which is also impacting much of the Lesser Antilles this morning, is associated with a broad trough of low pressure. This trough of low pressure is forecast to track westward reaching the western Caribbean by about Friday. Now, the part of the trough that reaches the western Caribbean on Friday is forecast to help to spawn the development of a low pressure system in the central Gulf of Mexico on Saturday. This interaction and morphing of the trough of low pressure in the western Caribbean to a low pressure system in the Gulf of Mexico will lead to heavy rainfall with squalls of strong winds from Jamaica to the Cayman Islands and the Yucatan Peninsula from late Thursday into Friday. Given that the actual weather associated with this trough of low pressure is more severe than what the forecast guidance are showing, it is very prudent to keep close tabs on it and be aware that its impacts could be stronger than what I have written above & it is something that I am aware of and am keeping close tabs with.

State Department warns travelers about dangers of visiting Honduras
The State Department on Tuesday cautioned travelers about the risks of visiting Honduras, known as the "murder capital of the world," saying that killings of Americans are frequent and almost never solved. In a travel warning, the department said American expatriates experience similar levels of crime as other population groups. Police forces are unable to keep up and have solved only two of the 50 killings of Americans since 2008, U.S. officials said. Honduras has had the highest murder rate in the world since 2010, and levels of violence and crime remain "critically high," the warning said. Though the Honduran government is trying to improve the criminal justice system, the effort remains at an early stage. Drug cartels operate freely, U.S. officials said, but there are also other groups that commit crimes such as killings, kidnappings, extortion, carjackings, armed robberies, rapes and other aggravated assaults. Expatriates, as well as locals, are targeted for kidnapping, and large ransoms are sometimes required for their release, the warning said. Four kidnappings have been reported to the U.S. Embassy in the last two years, but numerous other cases go unreported, it said. The warning urges travelers not to walk alone on beaches, trails or at historic ruins, and not to travel at night. It also cautions against wearing jewelry or displaying cash, credit cards and other valuables.

These Beautiful Water Landscapes Will Totally Take Your Breath Away
There's no doubt that water is essential. We drink it. We swim in it. We're even made up of it. But sometimes, we should stop and appreciate the sheer beauty of it. If you're yearning for that feeling of serenity, the peaceful moment amidst the craziness of the world, these fifteen water landscapes will undoubtedly take your breath away and then, maybe, just maybe, reawaken your wanderlust: Great Blue Hole The Great Blue Hole is an underwater sinkhole, or cave, in Lighthouse Reef, Belize. It was a vertical cave above ground during the past ice ages, but with time, the rising ocean levels flooded the 400 feet deep cave.

What Is Boxing Day?
While most Americans are left recovering from Christmas festivities on Dec. 26, the British and Commonwealth countries continue to relish the holiday season. Boxing Day or the day-after-Christmas holiday is a national holiday in the UK where families eat leftovers or head to the stores to nab the latest deals, much like Black Friday. Why is it called Boxing Day? The exact origins of the holiday are a bit muddled. Some say the name of the holiday comes from "Christmas Box," the name for a Christmas gift. One tradition in particular describes how the British aristocracy would give presents (and a day off) to servants and employees as a sign of gratitude for their help working on Christmas day. Others point to the charity boxes placed outside of churches to collect money for the poor. Priests also placed Christmas boxes on ships. Crewmen would drop money in it to ensure a safe return. If the ship returned safely, the money would be distributed to the poor.