Originally Posted by Shyboy
Since electricity is expensive here and sun is abundant, I expected to see more of a Solar Industry here.. Ok; imported from the mainland and not based here. Why is this not a blossoming industry on the island?

Capt One Iron is on point. Cost of importation, cost of installation and lack of familiarity with a rapidly advancing technology. Heck lack of familiarity "period" when I ask local electricians. They know about it but haven't looked into it or even want to look into it; they know its expensive and a technology that pushes their envelope...Even here in the states its hard to sort out what is best for a given installation; some of that is driven by what the owner wants to do...supplement or substitute. I do know that most installers at home (No.California) are pushing the simplest of forms of installations which simply inverts and substitutes/inserts Solar AC power for Utility AC power. This supplement slows the metered usage during the day and makes no attempt to "store" power for future use. I can second Diane's comment, I got quite a laugh out of a BEL "lineman" when I asked! smile

Our place is absolutely perfect for an installation but the cost and potential loss due to hurricane velocity winds makes it a tough choice. Maybe DiCaprio will make his island solar...a good ground breaking "green" application inline with his agenda.