Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#124144 06/24/06 04:56 PM
L
OP Offline
L
first time poster here who has lurked on the board for about a month.

i am flying into AC on Aug 1 with my 25 year old daughter for 3 nights before heading to the Cayo. this board seems to be mostly populated by locals, but i could be wrong about that. from the research i have done, i believe that there is no distinct belizean food. is there a restaurant or two in AC that is a "shouldn't miss?" i don't care if it's a $3 rice & beans meal, or a $40 first class meal...where do i go for a memorable dining experience?

also, i was in costa rica several years ago and found several items which i thought made great souvenirs, particularly wood and stone carved products. what should i be bringing back from belize? where should i look to buy this product, AC or San Ignacio?

any other tips for a first timer? btw, we're staying at the sunbreeze. is this really walkable from the airport?

Len
#124145 06/24/06 05:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Papi's for local cuisine - great prices and a fav of the locals.
Casa Picasso for great food, unique drinks and the best desserts in the entire world. (kinda cute owner & chef as well! wink )
Most will recommend the local rum or the local hot sauce, Marie Sharp's, to take home. Personally, I found some Belizean-made soaps that I really like and cart a few home every time I go.

Enjoy your trip - it would be almost impossible not to! smile

#124146 06/24/06 08:06 PM
Yes, Sunbreeze is directly across the street from the airport. It's also next to BC's Bar & BBQ. I agree with Papi's Diner. Great Food with great prices.

ArtZ SmartZ
#124147 06/24/06 09:18 PM
Lennox
You been reading this board for a month and think most people live here?
Well, most just want to. LOL

There are a lot of people who post here who come down on a regular basis and are certainly in a position to share information.
The food here is fabulous and a wide variety. I do a lot of cooking at home and all my house guests from the states are shocked at the flavor in the fruits and vegetables.

Stew (no e-d on the end) rice and beans, which is one dish (a lot of rice cooked in coconut milk with a few red beans.) You can get this very Belizean dish at any of the food stands ($5.00) or the small restaurants frequented by we locals. You may spend as much as $10 for this. Remember this is Belize money.
Fish and chicken are the main dishes and there is no end to the creativity using local flavoring and spices. Too bad you are only spending 3 days here - you are short changing yourself. Heck, a week isn't even long enough it takes at least 10 days and two weeks is better.

Vendors on the streets sell jewelry, shells and carvings. If you want something typical of Belize do not buy the brightly colored rugs and shawls sold on the beaches and streets. There is nothing wrong with these - it's just that they are Guatemalan. I can't tell you how many people I know who have been very disappointed to learn this - after they bought.

Have a good time and come back when you can stay longer.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
#124148 06/25/06 05:00 AM
L
OP Offline
L
thanks for the suggestions so far. to scubaldy, my daughter was the impetus for this trip and she insisted on high adventure. this is not the relaxing trip i susupect most people look for at AC.

regarding my misconception about most posters living in belize, look at your own profile. why would anyone think that you live in the states?

the tips sbout souvenirs are appreciated. i imagine that we will be able to buy rugs & shawls at Tikal, our last stop (for one night) prior to returning home from BZE.

Len
#124149 06/25/06 07:07 AM
Papi's is excellent, best lobster on the island...but you should also try a newer place, "El Fogon". All local food, menu usually includes fish, seafood, chicken, and pork. There is also a new bakery/deli (same owners)one street away "Hacal Kiik" with local breads...not sure about everything on their menu but their baked goods are great.

Change your Latitude
#124150 06/25/06 08:18 AM
Oh yeah, shuffles...we ate at El Fogon when we were there last, and it was wonderful. Can't wait to go back there. The portions were way too large...but it was so good, you couldn't stop eating. Excellent in every way.

Live so that when you arise in the A.M, Satan shudders & says..
'Oh sh t..she's awake!'
#124151 06/26/06 02:30 PM
I've been twice and only eaten at approximately 3 dozen places so I'm not the most educated person you'll meet on the board. I, too, love Papi's food and the atmosphere is truly local flavor. But I can say, without a doubt, that the tastiest meal I've ever had in my life in the most serene environment was the Tropical Pork Chop at Wild Mangos...I drool just remembering it. Except for lobster and shrimp, I'm not big into seafood and my limited experience has steered me toward chicken and pork when I'm on the island...something about a Mennonite monopoly...whatever. Now I've added El Fogon to my "Where to go next..." list. Will someone please give me a clue to where it is. As for souvenirs...please be careful regardless of what you buy. I spent quite a bit of money on a painted metal piece at what I think was the most upscale shop for art and was disappointed when I unwrapped it at home and found a "made in Haiti" sticker on the back. The piece I bought was already wrapped in shrink-wrap and the open sample did not have this sticker on it...my advice, is ask if it was made there in Belize - island or mainland. Stoned Art had some wonderful pieces - but they can get heavy to carry home.
Happy trip...and I'm guessing you're gonna wish you'd booked your entire vacation for the island!

Be a pal, save a Dal.
#124152 06/26/06 04:03 PM
For more Belize type food -
The Reef
Street vendors - most awesome food I've had - if it smells good it usually is : )
Elvi's
Estelle's or Cannibal's for breakfast - I've become addicted to fry jacks.
Try a snorkel (amazing) & beach bbq - that's more homestyle and very tasty.
BC's on Sunday for BBQ
And as scubalady said - you aren't staying long enough - but long enough to want to come back : )

Time flys - have fun!
#124153 06/26/06 06:07 PM
and you can add Ambergris Delight as well as Antojito's San Telmo to cheap local eateries. (Don't shoot me Jesse!!)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 135 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.