Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#141562 02/04/02 03:59 AM
S
S
Whoever said that the town board gave those folks at FB a permit to build 4 stories does not have his facts right.
In fact, the FB owners NEVER got a permit to build 4 stories, since it would violate local building codes,which does not allow buildings any higher than 3 stories on the beach (or, I believe anywhere in town, though I can't say for sure).
They simply ignored the code, did not bother asking for a permit and started building a 4th story anyway. The town board issued a stop order, which they ignored. Instead, they apparently went to Belmopan and asked a High Government Official (ahem)to write them a note saying "these people don't have to follow the local building code" and don't need a permit to do anything they want (or something like that) (that's called "Minister's discretion" and it is one of the problems with the "system" in Belize in my opinion.
I am not quite sure what happened next, but apparently, some kind of agreement was reached that resulted in a promise not to build the 4th story.
How do I know all this? I was at the town board's public meeting on the very issue of the illegal attempt to construct the 4th story and I was asked to and did make a brief statement giving the viewpoint of the tourists who come to San Pedro precisely because it is NOT Cancun and would like to see it continue to NOT to be Cancun.
It was very impressive to me to see democracy in lively action at the San Pedro Town Board meeting, but distressing to see that the national government does not appear to like the democractic process whereby local communities are allowed to govern things like zoning and building regulations and such for themselves.
As far as the people who think this board should be censored and limited to "happy talk", they are certainly free to spend their time elsewhere. Certainly there are plenty of other message boards that contain nothing mindless inanities for those who are so inclined.

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
#141563 02/04/02 08:50 AM
Jim, where is your sense of humor. I thought my comments might earn me a bloody mary. It,s "shit happens" ie. chicken drop. Now if there is anyone reading this that does not get the pun, then maybe Jim, you should give you bar a shamless plug like I was attempting and explain the chicken drop. I will stop by and get whatever is coming to me.

#141564 02/04/02 10:26 AM
M
M
Finally! Everyone shows their true colors! This will get pulled directly.

#141565 02/04/02 10:29 AM
gee, some threads don't come to us as we sit with our toes in the sand and a drink in our hand. that little paper umbrella won't sheild us from much. maybe its not promoting tourism as much as its protecting tourism. i don't mind the bad with the good. i don't want to see sp thru rose colored glasses. sorry to all of you who disagree. if the people know in advance, we won't have the "basil jones" threads in 2 yrs.
jim, glad your boys won.
gay

#141566 02/04/02 10:49 AM
I got the pun..........since I have bought "Chicken Drop" tickets at the Pier Lounge.......I thought it was fitting.

Humor is a good thing.

Dare To Deviate
#141567 02/04/02 11:33 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
me too, warren, i got it right away. i thought it was pretty funny, in fact. i think jim just missed this one. the sun musta been in his eyes.

AND...i think it is ok for TBZ to say as they wish, as long as they are not personally pounding anyone falsely. some of us ARE interested.

one more thing...susangg - i love your personal profile. too funny. and thanks for setting the record straight.

#141568 02/04/02 04:03 PM
Sorry,
It went right over my head. Must be I was suffering from a Patriots skull cramp.
I been defending myself too much lately.

Jim
#141569 02/04/02 04:08 PM
Glad to set the record straight Jim. I presume this means it is bloody mary istead of bloody nose. If so, good choice. I did not want to intimidate you earlier, but Pizanno is one of my body guards.

#141570 02/04/02 04:48 PM
Chloe is snickering......way too cool.

Big Jim, you need not defend yourself often, you have a great bar, chicken drop and you are a big man.
We love beautiful Ruby at your lounge, say Hi for us.

Dare To Deviate
#141571 02/05/02 09:46 AM
Yes, Tammy HAS mved back to AC!! Always knew she would it's in her blood!! She stayed the weekend here with us and we took her to the airport yesterday!!...Jim, did you not get to launch very many coconuts??? Tammy, we'll be here waiting on your E....Gosh-I wanted to go with her!!!! C it's supposed to snow here today!!! Can't handle ANYMORE COLD!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (OLDBAY), 140 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,037
Members20,476
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.