Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#19552 07/22/05 04:18 PM
OP Offline
We'd looking to spend some time on one of the outer cayes and Tobacco looks to so far be our choice ~ anyone been recently and can comment on the resorts? -- actually comments on anything else would be much appreciated.
We have a large group including 3 kids (ages 4-10), all snorkelers + 2 also dive.
thanks much! R.

#19553 07/22/05 06:15 PM
To call the places there resorts would be an overstatement. All the places there are pretty basic, and the island is small, about the size of a couple of football (soccer) fields. Just depends on what your expectations are.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#19554 07/22/05 08:36 PM
Reef's End has a nice cabin on the water, new.
They also have a two story motel..very basic. Beds, bath. One room has 3 beds, that was room 4, several years ago.

Oceans Edge, basic basic. Has changed managers and it not as it was the past 3 times we stayed. Same owners. Nice high above the water deck, and it's supposed to be only for Ocean's Edge.

Gaviota, smalllll cabins and if I recollect a common building as well. Basic.

Tobacco Caye Lodge, maybe 6 rooms, ground floor.
Faces the reef. tiny motel appearance. Basic

Lanas, newly remodeled, haven't been inside.

Paradise (something) a cabin on the water, north end of the caye and I think there is also a common house for rooms. Basic

My choice this year is Reefs End. Lovely, over the water, dining. Newly build about 3 years ago. (maybe 4)

Snorkel from shore, wear water shoes. The shore is lined with conch shells, purposly.

All of the lodgings have dining areas and you eat at a specified time. All meals are served family style. Kinda nice, you get to meet people from all over the world.

Oh, the reef is within stone throwing distance.
Just don't forget your water shoes. The water is sooooo shallow around the caye until you get out several feet from shore, then you can float, on the west side. The east side is shallow all the way to the reef.
Some people don't mind if you walk to the reef, others will stop you.

Ask your captain to point out Marie Sharps caye.
Capt. Buck and Capt. Frank are the main guys that pick you up and bring you to your lodging.
They go to town to get supplies and as a general rule, you ride to the caye with the needs for the day.

No stores. Bring your own snacks.

There are 3 bar that I am aware of, one at Reef's End, one owned by Tobacco Caye Lodge and the other is at Ocean's Edge.

It's a quaint island and I believe most everyone is related. Nice people all over the caye.

Enjoy your time, we do laugh

#19555 07/22/05 09:20 PM
S
S
South Water and Ranguana are also worth a look. Great people at South Water (IZE), deserted island feel at Ranguana.

#19556 07/23/05 07:33 AM
Yes SimonB, I agree smile

I gave what he/she asked for.... wink

#19557 07/25/05 08:55 AM
OP Offline
thank you all for the info, especially NYGal ~ just what we wanted! We know it's pretty rustic/basic, that won't be a problem w/our group. We're mostly looking for relaxation... plus being able to snorkel from the shore really is appealing. We just wanted to try something different ~ plan is to AC after our stay.
thanks again Renée

#19558 07/25/05 04:24 PM
snowbird...I too am interested in Tobacco Caye..how are you getting there? and what is your plan on getting to San Pedro..trying to figure out and easy way..thanks

#19559 07/25/05 09:58 PM
S
S
Boat from Tobacco Caye to Dangriga and Fly from Dangriga to Municipal to SP. That's the fastest way, you could also do bus from Dangriga to Belmopan to Belize City and then fly or water taxi.

#19560 07/26/05 11:56 AM
OP Offline
Our plan is fly into Belize City and on to Dangriga and then taking the boat over to the caye ~ I believe that will be set up through whichever place we decide to stay. Then we will fly back just as SimonB states above. If no kids along, we might think about the bus but it's just so much easier to fly the whole thing.

On another matter: We were tentatively set up for Reefs End but then read somewhere that the cabanas are not facing the breeze/sunrise. Is this true? We sure would like a breeze through the rooms and I am a big sunrise fan. I know the caye is not big at all but does this mean the cabanas on on the opposite (west) side? Would we be better off not in a cabana?

#19561 07/26/05 03:39 PM
Well, the curtains stood straight out from the breeze. We stayed in the upper level of the motel part. We had reserved the cabana but others decided to stay longer. You don't always get what you wish smile (we liked the upper level, you could see better) wink

The cabin used to face the east, they now face the west for the purpose of watching the water, the snorkeling, faces the dock or whatever...the breeze is all across the caye. It's just a dot in the sea laugh
5 minutes and you have seen it all. Then take your time and see the rest. Interesting how the locals on the caye live.

You can't help but see sunrise and sunset from any place you stay if you just walk 25-50 yards in any direction.

Basic.....remember smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.