Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#208085 07/17/01 10:00 PM
B
OP Offline
B
What is the education system like down there? We met a woman on Caye Caulker who moved from Canada - she said - "Learn about the education system and schools", but didn't elaborate.
We're considering early retirement, and don't know if we can wait the 17 years for the baby to graduate.

#208086 07/18/01 12:28 PM
I'm no expert on the Belize education system, but the basics are that it is patterned after the English system (forms, A-levels, O-levels etc.) with some recent changes reflecting Caribbean and U.S. influences. The Catholic Church runs a majority of the schools but with funding by the government. Some schools, especially secondary schools, are run directly by the government. There are some private schools as well.

What people tell me is that the quality of education varies, being highest in the "elite" schools in Belize City and perhaps lowest in the some of the remote southern villages. The schools in many areas lack a lot of things -- equipment, books, training materials. Teachers don't make much -- US$5000 a year maybe.

Education is compulsory at the primary levels but a lot of kids drop out after that due to the cost of books and so forth, which generally are not provided by the government.

The newly reorganized university system, now called the University of Belize, has three campuses. Many top students go to the U.S., U.K., Jamaica, Guatemala or Cuba for post-secondary and professional schooling.

Given the resources of Belize, I think educational quality is pretty high. The best students are certainly competitive with those in the U.S. But as in the U.S., there's a great variation in quality of schools.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#208087 07/18/01 10:31 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Rhanks Lan,
Checked out the BelizeFirst site - very informative.
We want to move there, but aren't sure how to do it...where to live...wait for the rugrats to graduate...what?
But your site and this board helps.
Not that we're closer to a decision. But at least we'll be informed!

#208088 07/19/01 05:21 PM
With kids in college and private school, can't afford to live in Belize! Gotta keep trying to make a buck in the ole USA.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#208089 07/19/01 08:31 PM
B
OP Offline
B
We live in Baton Rouge - Land of the Bad Schools - so we figure, how much worse can it be?
Not to mention, they would probably learn more of the things we hold dear to our hearts.
If we got permanent residency, would our kids be able to leave for college, then come back to live no hassle? WOuld they have to apply for permanent residency as adults?

#208090 07/27/01 08:26 PM
B
OP Offline
B
What about home schooling is that legal in Belize?

#208091 07/28/01 03:08 PM
D
D
We live in San Pedro and our sixteen year old has used the internet as a home schooling tool. A school based in Virginia I believe. The diciplinary methods at the High School here do not fit US people very well. Very strict and little flexibily. The level of the classes is much lower than a typical US school in my opinion. The Island Academy howerver is a first rate operation. It's rather expensive though. As far a moving here I must caution anyone about that. This place is not what it seems when you are on vacation. It's not for everyone. Life can be very hard at times. You have to be tough and smart to make it here. I'd advise Coming and staying a couple of months first and then decide. Three months seems to be the breaking point for most people. If you last that long you will probably stay. If not.....We see it every day. Broke dreamers hightailing it back home. Good luck.

#208092 07/29/01 11:41 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Hey Dave,
Beleive me, I can imagine! If my opinion has anything to do with it, we won't be giving up the house here when we move.
AC, like so many other places in the world is great to vist; no telling how it is to live there until you do...
The only reason I ask about homeschooling is because I'm considering it here in the states. And no, we're not freaks, but the public school system in Baton Rouge is horrible...they're considering a "lottery" system...we've been under the Justice Dept., and Fed. Judges thumbs for 40 years now.
Private school is better, but EXPENSIVE!
We don't know when we will move...got a future nest egg...but....
The thought is exciting, but scary!

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 150 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.