Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
nija Offline OP
OP Offline
N
who would you recommend I see to purchase a condo on AB? I was thinking on the south side of SP - where would you recommend. are there any places or realtors you would not recommend? I'm going to be on AB next week.

N
nija Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I read on another chat from Len Sluder that there were realtors to avoid - I can't find it now - he also mentioned some guy and I'm not sure he was saying that was a person to see or to avoid. If anyone knows his name would they reply. Also, maybe if I could get in touch with Len Sluder directly it would be helpful. can anyone help me?

His name is Lan Sluder and he can be reached by email at the following address: [email protected]

Jim

**Jim
M
M
Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion! Here's mine. Contact Sue Wiesing. She LIVES there and will be happy to give you the scoop on what is available on the caye. www.ambergris-seaside-realestate.com

Just to clarify, I have never recommended against any particular real estate agency or person on the island.

But as a general rule, keep in mind that there are no licensing or education or other requirements to be a real estate agent in Belize (or elsewhere). All you need is a business card.

(As it happens, I hold a real estate broker's license in North Carolina, but I was never in the real estate business and my advice on real estate should be taken with a grain of salt.)

Below I'm posting what Emory King told me about living/retiring in Belize. Emory has been in Belize almost 50 years and probably knows a bit about the country!

Sue Wiesing seemed like a nice person the one time I met her. Why she and her partner chose to share office space with the Basil Jones timeshare, I don't know.

--Lan Sluder www.belizefirst.com

>>

Advice from Emory King

Emory King is Belize's best-known expat. An American who was shipwrecked in Belize in 1954, Emory decided to make Belize his permanent home. He became a Belize citizen, a successful businessman and the author of 14 books on Belize. Here's his advice for those contemplating living in or retirement in Belize:

I would tell the potential retiree:

1. If you can afford a minimum of US$1,000 to US$2,000 per month to deposit in the
bank, then comply with the new retirement program.

2. Come down first and spend a month here at least, visiting each district,
talking to people, getting a feel of the place.

3. By that time you will know that Belize is not a cheap place to live.
We have plenty of poor people here. We don't need any more. People trying
to stretch their Social Security or other meager income should try Mexico
or somewhere else. You can't enjoy life on a shoestring in Belize.

4. Understand, there are no laws governing real estate agents. No
licenses, no examinations, no bonds. Any jerk who says, "I am a real
estate agent" is one. So be very careful about buying land.

5. Avoid anyone who tells you he is friendly with someone in the
government who can get you permits, licenses, etc. for the payment of graft.

These last few years the level of dishonesty has risen alarmingly in this country. And, worse, the idea seems to have acceptance in the society. Some say it's perfectly
okay to lie, cheat and steal from tourists, foreigners, investors -- because
they are rich and they only come here to swindle us out of our heritage
anyway. So, as they say, when thief thief from thief, God laugh.

Otherwise, Belize is still the delightful place it always was.

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
N
nija Offline OP
OP Offline
N
thank you Lan for your response and yes, Emory King was the name of the person. my question is if realtors do not have to be licensed, then who does one see so they are not taken advantage of. I have read (on message board) about people buying land, houses,condos etc. Are these transactions legit and in compliance with the laws of Belize if these people are not licensed realtors?

S
S
Nija: You are placing undue and unwarranted emphasis on the role of the "realtor," which as Lan has explained, is not a licensed profession.
What "realtor" happens to show you a piece of property has very little to do with whether or not you should buy it.
In Belize, what you need to buy property is not a "realtor" (sic) but a lawyer..YOUR OWN LAWYER not the seller's lawyer.
My advice to you is that way before you even THINK of buying property in Belize you start out with Adapter Kit Belize (Lan's book). Read it cover to cover. Then spend a few months (or at least, a few weeks) in Belize in the places you think you might want to live.
But...the most important thing is for you to soul search and decide what it is you are looking for. That will be the primary factor in deciding where to live (and also, of course, your financial situation.
If you are looking for a cheap place to live, forget Belize and particularly, forget Ambergris Caye. You will be better off finding a nice beach condo or cottage or house in one of the southern beach towns in the US if you are looking for a beach environment.
If you can afford a higher cost of living than you will pay in such a place and you find that you like Ambergris Caye, then you need to decide if you want to be in town or down the coast. There are pros and cons for both. I would not recommend any remote area unless you or your spouse is very very handy at fix it and do it yourself work or you are very very rich.
If you are simply looking for a nice warm place to live near the ocean and don't have a particular affinity for any particular country, explore several: Belize, Panama, Nicaragua, for starters.
You also need to consider lifestyle. Do you have a need for bookstores, theatres, newspapers, cultural stuff? If so, living on an island might be a bit too "touristy" and "party oriented" for your taste.
These are just a few things to consider. I really do recommend Lan's book as a starting point.
If you are considering moving abroad, I suggest you browse some of the expat web sites (Escape from America, International Living, etc.) but be aware that a lot of what you find there is advertising hype. You have to be a sophisticated "shopper" to weed out the good info from the hype. Lonely Planet books are also a good resource.
But, there is nothing like seeing for yourself.

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 134 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.