Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
FatAlbert - with no women to spend your money you might be able to make it here. It is a nice community, all a bit odd but tolerable and interesting. Why not a test run-don't burn your bridges yet? Rent a studio apartment for 3 to 6 months and just see how you like it and how much you spend.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
E
E
For what its worth. I lived there several years ago, in a beach front condo, had at least 2 meals a day out, hosted friends from the states, large bar bill each month, golf cart, etc,etc. Average cost per annum (per my CPA) $US81,000. If you can do it for less and still maintain your living standard, good luck.

I rented a cute little apartment in the heart of town for over a year for US $325 a month. My electric was always under BZ $50 per month and small water bill. I seldom ran the AC - when it was too hot I walked the half block to the beach and went snorkeling. I ate almost all meals out; had a couple of places I "hung out" and became totally a part of the community. Since I don't drink alcohol nor smoke anything or use any other chemicals I found I could live very reasonably.
People have been honest here - Ambergris Caye is probably the most expensive place in Belize to live. To those of us who have settled here we think it is worth it.
However, I have met a lot of people who are happy in Corozal. It is on a bay rather than the reef but you might want to check it out. It also seems like Placencia is getting a lot of new building and San Ignacio in the mountains is pretty well settled.
You must come here with an open mind, travel around and see where you fit in. Good luck.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
JZB Offline
Any single person can make it here on $1200US a month, you just can't expect too much. No oceanfront apartments with maid service, or eating out every night or even shopping at certain stores on a regular basis. My experience is, whatever you think you can survive on, double it and you will be in the ballpark.

BiIl, "I disagree that it would take US2,000 to live in Belize. It's seems a lot more than the average Belezean makes per year. and 30+ % of the population is below the established poverty level ..."
Don't forget that many of these people are living in a one room apartment or tiny house with 3 generations of family members with them. I don't know a single gringo willing to do that. After all, you move here for a better quality of life not to be squashed in a room with 6 other people.

"I don't know a single gringo willing to do that. After all, you move here for a better quality of life not to be squashed in a room with 6 other people. "

Good point!

I suppose at the end of the day, It will depend on each persons life styles and thier personal needs and comforts.

Never Use money to measure wealth
F
OP Offline
F
You folks are good! Your encouragement -- along with its healthy pragmatism -- is greatly appreciated.

It seemed early on that Ambergris Caye was out of the question for my anticipated budget but, of course, I'm still hoping for that lower-cost place where the negatives of a tropical climate are alleviated somewhat, i.e., close by the sea breezes and which has perhaps a little less rain and humidity than I understand they get inland or farther south.

So, as the more populated cayes are probably impractical for my plans, I will look more at some of the coastal towns and try to plan a visit. Thanks again.

Al Foster
S
S
Guess what, it'll be even more expensive here next year, next month, next week.

We are growing so fast and looking for less people spending more money than the other way around (like Mexico).

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 183 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,041
Members20,483
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.